The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because they have been brought up in a capitalist system that puts materialism and money on a pedestal :h:
It would work if everyone didn't like to think they were better and more worthy than everyone else.
Reply 22
Marxism works in small communities, communism fails in all... capitalism ideology distorts the marxist vision
russianroullette
No one wants to read my essay :frown: lol

You wrote an essay? Let's see it, although I fear if you reached a conclusion other than "communism sucks" I will find your logic somewhat grating.
Reply 24
Any form of communism involving a state is synonymous with coercion.
1) Historical precedant

2) 'Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely' - Many people for this reason don't buy the 'dictatorship of the proletariat' as a means to a better end. For many people equality is not desirable, for very many people liberty is not a price worth paying for equality.

3) Under Capitalism, those who dictate that which society is or isn't scared of tend to have the most to gain by retaining the free market framework and by consequence (given the antagonistic nature of Comm./Capt.) have the most too lose from establishing Communism. Rupert Murdoch isn't going to be sympathetic to calls for 'down with the beorgiousie' for obvious reasons.
LawBore

This - and any form of communism not involving a state or coercion has absolutely nothing to distinguish it from the voluntary organisations that are free to occur in a capitalist society, and as such isn't really communism.
Reply 27
I have concerns over level of freedom.
Reply 28
LawBore

Bingo.

People are not afraid of Anarchist-communism. Anarchist catalonia used to be an anarchist communist society. Yet people do not dread the idea of Anarchist communism mainly because of it's stateless (at least in papers) status :s-smilie:
Reply 29
russianroullette
People just seem (well, they definitley used to, I don't think so much anymore) to wet their pants at the thought of Communism spreading to a Western country like the US.

I am not necessarily a Communist myself, tbh I'm not sure if I'd choose it over Capitalism if I could.

But I want to know what people's views are on it. I wrote an essay about it a few months ago (PM me if you're interested in reading it, it's not very long but I won't post it on here) about it but I'd like to know.

People talk about the idea of Communism as crap, but it hasn't actually worked yet. It's only had too many power-hungry dicators leading it, but if there was someone civil, I think it wouldn't be too bad.

Communism will never be what it is supposed to be, it is a fictional ideology, and it will always end up in dictatorship.
Why are people so afraid of communism? You said you wrote an essay, so you should know.
Just think of how many people had to die for communism to be erradicated in certain countries. Yesterday it's been 20 years since my hometown defeated communism.
Reply 30
The failure in the communist system is always down to the power hungry lunatic of a leader, i.e human greed. It's a flawed system, which history has taught us cannot work on many occasions.

Democracy (or at least the illusion of it :P) FTW.
russianroullette
People just seem (well, they definitley used to, I don't think so much anymore) to wet their pants at the thought of Communism spreading to a Western country like the US.

I am not necessarily a Communist myself, tbh I'm not sure if I'd choose it over Capitalism if I could.

But I want to know what people's views are on it. I wrote an essay about it a few months ago (PM me if you're interested in reading it, it's not very long but I won't post it on here) about it but I'd like to know.

People talk about the idea of Communism as crap, but it hasn't actually worked yet. It's only had too many power-hungry dicators leading it, but if there was someone civil, I think it wouldn't be too bad.

Most (Americans) value three things: The right to free speech, the right to property, and the right to freedom of religion. Communism goes against these things. In Marxist teaching, the ideal society would contain no religion, and no individual property. Thus Americans fear communism.

Communism also is 'thought' to trigger;

-Violence & Dissorder
-Associated with anarchy and immigrants destroying governments
-McCarthy was a foul, lazy man who triggered the 'Red Scare' and so brought about McCarthyism.

GCSE History is real fun :p:

Definately doing it for A-Level
Wolfy^
Communism will never be what it is supposed to be, it is a fictional ideology, and it will always end up in dictatorship.
Why are people so afraid of communism? You said you wrote an essay, so you should know.
Just think of how many people had to die for communism to be erradicated in certain countries. Yesterday it's been 20 years since my hometown defeated communism.

whats your hometown?
russianroullette

communism is totalitarian in general.

talking ideologically, it steals everything from everyone - if i work for something, for some reason i have to give all of it to the government.
talking practically, it gets hijacked by dictators, and removes a motive for anyone to work. they get 100% tax, but as the government takes all the money made, its 100% of nothing, as noone can BA working
Reply 34
Communism is the end of progress and creativity.
Chrrye

lol. Capitalism has only benefited the rich and powerful.

oh **** you you stupid red.

aside from the fact that capitalism benifits anyone but the lazy ***** and the stupid, communism is essentially theft of peoples possessions and hardcore oppressive nanny state. it also doesnt work, as noone gains or loses anything by working or not, or working hard or half arsed.
Reply 36
russianroullette
No one wants to read my essay :frown: lol

>You spend the essay with an pro-communist bent but finish with a load of anti-commie figures
>You recognise the main flaw of communism (that of dictators inevitably evolving) but suggest no solution
>You essay appears to be trying to 'tell it how it is' but in doing this develops an informal and poorly structured form.

I give you a C+
Reply 37
DJ AgnieszkaA
oh **** you you stupid red.

aside from the fact that capitalism benifits anyone but the lazy ***** and the stupid, communism is essentially theft of peoples possessions and hardcore oppressive nanny state. it also doesnt work, as noone gains or loses anything by working or not, or working hard or half arsed.

LOL idiot I was laughing at that idea, not endorsing it.
I agree with what you have written. Apart from where you insult me as a communist.
Reply 38
the reason communism did not suceed is because the more powerful upper class of the west feared a one class socity. communism is a system were every one is equal, the problem was capitalism's refusel to give power to the lower classes
Reply 39
inspired.
I have concerns over level of freedom.

I have concerns over level of income. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending