The Student Room Group

Disabled Students' Allowance Information

Hey, I'm mildly dyslexic and have been assessed by Dyslexia Action, who confirmed that I defiantly am dyslexic. I'm applying to go to university in 2010 and will be applying for a Disabled Students' Allowance. If I'm honest I’m only really going to be looking for a computer out of it - maybe some voice recognition software. How much money can I expect to get for this? Will it just be a cheque or will they refund a receipt? Is there a chance I won’t get it, even though i have the official report saying I am dyslexic and have had extra time in all exams? And finally can i buy a more expensive computer and pay the difference in price myself?

Thanks
Reply 1
superbriggs
Hey, I'm mildly dyslexic and have been assessed by Dyslexia Action, who confirmed that I defiantly am dyslexic. I'm applying to go to university in 2010 and will be applying for a Disabled Students' Allowance. If I'm honest I’m only really going to be looking for a computer out of it - maybe some voice recognition software. How much money can I expect to get for this? Will it just be a cheque or will they refund a receipt? Is there a chance I won’t get it, even though i have the official report saying I am dyslexic and have had extra time in all exams? And finally can i buy a more expensive computer and pay the difference in price myself?

Thanks

My brother got a laptop, but he wanted a Mac. He ended up getting a Mac, he showed them the receipt and they re embersed (sp?) him for a certain amount, they wont buy a Mac etc as its not necessary, but they did contribute to his.

That's about all I know, sorry!
You will get the equipment supplied by them you wont receive any funds to purchase the equipment yourself. The DSA will send someone out to assess your needs and work out what you have now to what you will need if you need a new pc or laptop. You will get extra time in exams this is arranged with your university via the support team
Reply 3
You get what they recommend - not what you want.

Latest

Trending

Trending