The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ily_em
I thought that was more common in American universities?

Yeah, it is from what I understand. My friend is always telling me what she 'has to get' being from a 'xyz origin' American while someone from a 'abc origin' American would have to get this. I think it is pretty obvious that they pretty much advertise that they have lower standards for certain groups of people over others.

UK universities - for the quality of education (if you are someone who trusts world league tables) - is good value for EU/UK students compared to many other parts of the world. I'd rather pay £5000 tuition than £15000 and be openly discriminated against during admission which is what I see as the US system.
Reply 41
So...basically people are saying the Ivies and California schools.

Can you say overrated? :wink:
devil09
So...basically people are saying the Ivies and California schools.

Can you say overrated? :wink:

Dying to get into Duke! :biggrin:
The only American accents I could tolerate to live with for the entire duration of my university studies are Californian and Bostonian.
Californian weather is far too hot and sunny for me, I've been tolerating this kind of weather for too long! :s-smilie: Therefore I think I'd choose Harvard.
But I am NOT going to live and study in the United States. :nope:
I'd love to go to a Uni in USA. But my choices would be based on weather - Scots don't do too well in the heat! lol
Yes :wink:
Reply 46
Lafin23
I'm probably going to apply Harvard (and Princeton & Yale). Fees would be around $53,000p.a....thank heavens for needs-based financial support :rolleyes:

Of course, I still have to get in. Which is unlikely. But hey, you can dream!

From what i've heard the financial support is a pittance. You're better off buying a book called How To Go To College For Free which is basically a directory of all sponsorships awarded around the country for people in different situations e.g. the South Asians Business Sponsorship
Lafin23
I'm probably going to apply Harvard (and Princeton & Yale). Fees would be around $53,000p.a....thank heavens for needs-based financial support :rolleyes:

Of course, I still have to get in. Which is unlikely. But hey, you can dream!

Hardcore! :biggrin:
Reply 48
Lafin23
:woo:

...yeah, I'm going to fail my SAT :frown: :yes:

Well you have to be reeeeeeeeally bad to fail a SAT :wink:
But yeah, I'm applying to those places too and the scores needed are absolutely ridiculous. :frown:
Reply 49
Lafin23
Hahah ok, so maybe I won't fail...put it this way, anything under 2100 and I'll be disappointed. Really I need 2200, but there's no way I'll be scoring that highly this January. Maybe May/June time.

What year are you in? Doing A Levels or IB?

I'm in Y13 doing a-levels.
I just missed 2100 on my SAT which is disappointing, but I hope they see past that.
Reply 50
I go to a normal comprehensive in Sheffield. I have dual-nationality and wouldn't have applied to the US otherwise.
I'm taking Maths, Phys, Chem and Geog here.
Applied to Oxford (rejected), Bristol, Sheffield, UCL and Edinburgh for Mech or Aeronautical engineering.
Yeah, I heard they are slightly more lenient with SAT scores for us. Fingers crossed.
I got 680 CR, 730M, 650W superscore. Not great but its in MIT's middle 50% and I have a legacy there (don't think it really matters).
What year are you in and what do you take?

Latest

Trending

Trending