Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
londongirl
what do you think about:
history
maths
english lit
computing

to go on to probably do something to do with economics at university (lse, ucl, etc)?

if you want to do economics - i'd pick economics instead of history. more relevent.
Reply 2
I agree with Whizz kid. You could substitute a subject that you think is your least favourite out of the subjects you just listed. For sure, keep maths though.
Reply 3
does it matter that much though? would it affect my chances of getting into a good uni if i did two essay-based subjects instead of maths *and* economics? i'm in two minds...
Reply 4
londongirl
does it matter that much though? would it affect my chances of getting into a good uni if i did two essay-based subjects instead of maths *and* economics? i'm in two minds...

it wouldn't affect the quality of university you could go to, per se. it would however affect which course you are eligible to take. if you are interested in an economics-based career, i strongly advise you take maths, economics, computing and another subject which you will enjoy, thus, be motivated to do well in, thus, hopefully get good grades. :smile: good luck.
Your subjects sound fine to me. You have a nice balance between arts and sciences, which will give you a lot of options just in case you change your mind about economics. I wouldn't have thought not taking economics would be a problem as as far as I know it's not a requirement and a lot of schools and colleges don't offer it anyway. It's more important to do subjects you enjoy so you'll be more likely to get good grades.
Reply 6
Econimcs
Maths
English Lit
History

History and economics can go well together. You can do a joint honours at uni with that i think. Obviously economics and maths go together and english lit shows you have strong analytical skills.
Reply 7
I would suggest the same as Markus, keep history because it is a good subject to have but substitute the computing with economics
Reply 8
If your school doesn't offer Economics, do the Edexcel course 'Economics and Business Studies'.
Reply 9
Have a look at the LSE (for example...) prospectus to see what course requirements there are for Economics and anything else you think you might really want to do.
Reply 10
londongirl
IMO, don't take economics AS, it won't much help you get onto the forementioned degree, whereas history is keeping a history degree path (as well as American studies etc etc) open.

And if you don't really want to do economics AS then you'll probably not put much effort into it and do badly. Also if you don't like it and drop it after 1 year, then apply to take an Economics degree, they might take it as a bad sign if you apparently didn't like the AS.

You get 2 more years of free education, you might as well use them to study something that you're not going to be paying to have retaught to you at uni, espec. as you don't need Economics to do an Economics degree.

Just my 2p.
Reply 11
Markus
Econimcs
Maths
English Lit
History

History and economics can go well together. You can do a joint honours at uni with that i think. Obviously economics and maths go together and english lit shows you have strong analytical skills.
And I also agree with this, I think taking Economics would be better than Computing, if you're going to drop anything for Economics, make it Computing. :smile:
Reply 12
Keep it as it is! It's fine.
Reply 13
if your thinking LSE, dont do business studies they hate that whole subjects with studies in them thing
Reply 14
londongirl
what do you think about:
history
maths
english lit
computing

to go on to probably do something to do with economics at university (lse, ucl, etc)?

You must be joking. If you are doing economics or something similar in the top unis, i'd suggest you do the following:

maths, further maths, economics, english lit (if you like) It's not compulsory to take maths or economics but it's an advantage.
Reply 15
From all I've heard from the top universities, there is no need to do economics at A-level. They don't really care if you've studied it or not - it certainly won't help you much once you start an economics degree. For the very top unis, Futher Maths could be helpful but isn't essential. As economics is kind of an art and a science, it's good to do both arts and science A-levels so the combination of Maths and History is very good.
Reply 16
Yah - I've also heard that Economics is a very mathmatical subject at university, so Further Maths could be a good choice, but only if you are mathematically very confident, since there is apparently quite a large leap between Maths and Further Maths.
Reply 17
I'll be starting the further maths modules in September. We've been told it's not that much harder, there's just a lot more of it. I've had a look at FP1 and it doesn't look TOO bad. BUt I've yet to see FP2 or 3...
Reply 18
londongirl
what do you think about:
history
maths
english lit
computing

In order to have a real chance at getting accepted at LSE and UCL i would strongly recommend you to take 4 or more a-levels. I would also recommend you to take Traditional subjects and avoid subject such as Business studies and IT.
Mathematics is essential, but i recommend you to take further Maths as it is a preferred subject. You will have to learn the majority of the Further Pure Mathematics in your First year at university anyway so doing further maths is an advantage (take it, if you found it hard carry it on just to AS further maths!)
As well as Maths and Further Maths, I would advice you to take 2 written subjects for example Economics and History Or Economics and Gov& Politics.
LSE prefer students with an appetite in social sciences so they can benefit fully the environment at the LSE (debates, guest speakers etc..) so perhaps computing a-level won't be that useful.
I hope this helps. Good Luck
Reply 19
do you think further maths or economics would be more beneficial?

Latest