The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Chose #3.. being an atheist I don't think about Jesus, just about spending time with family.
And pigs in blankets of course, hence I chose three.
Reply 41
Cashmas

The primary holiday celebrated in capitalist cultures. Generally observed around the winter solstice, Cashmas is a celebration of materialism in which its celebrants attempt to flatter or impress relatives, friends, and acquaintances with the extent of their purchasing power. (The "power to get".) Cashmas co-opts signs, symbols, and sympathies from other religious holidays of the winter season to mask its foundation of conspicuous consumption. In the United States, where the holiday is most actively observed, Cashmas traditionally begins on "Black Friday", that is, the day following Thanksgiving Thursday in November. Holiday observations traditionally end on January 2nd, but may arguably be said to extend through "Super Bowl Sunday" of professional American football. This event can occur as late as the month of February.

This is what most of us celebrate. it appears.
Reply 42
I'm an athiest so it is option three for me.
Electric Indigo
Lol we choose option 3 because we are saying we do xmas for the fun rather than christ. I doubt everyone who chose that really will eat bacon, sausage something. I'm a vegetarian too:wink:
Anyway, I'm not religious either so I celebrate christmas for the presents and food with no regard to anything else. Hey, it's one of the very few days in the year you can actually do that anyway:wink:

I wasn't being literal :wink:. I was being sarcastic and pedantic - I get the idea of the thread.
Reply 44
Tsukuyomi
So are you pagan?

Nope but as the winter solstice was more of a celebration of the returning sun, i can celebrate that.

we could also argue, that paganism was more a culture than an actual religious school of thought.

It was nothing like religions today and was more a way of life.
Libtolu
Nope but as the winter solstice was more of a celebration of the returning sun, i can celebrate that.

we could also argue, that paganism was more a culture than an actual religious school of thought.

It was nothing like religions today and was more a way of life.

you sound like a hypocrite
Reply 46
We're a religious family so we celebrate the birth of Christ and go to church.

but we still do all the other stuff, tons of presents, food and of course the whole family around.
Church // Birth of Christ = NOT the true meaning of Christmas. Google Saturnalia and Dies Natalis Solis Invicti. The 25th December was celebrated in ancient days as the birthday of the unconquerable Sun god, (variously know as Tammuz, Mithra, Saturn, Adonis or Baal) centuries before Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem.
i voted the 3rd one, christ doesnt even :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow: exsits, its all about the family, pressies, food and drink

bring it on!!!!!!!!!!
Rofl at all the "Christians stole the meaning of a winter festival!" "Christ wasn't born on 25th of December!" comments.
Well, duh. But like it or not, Christmas is a Christian holiday. Whether there was a pre-existing pagan holiday or not is completely irrelevant. Such as it is, the true meaning of Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ, hence why its name is from "Christ's Mass". Don't try and spin it any other way.

If you aren't celebrating Christmas but are calling it "Winterval" or something like that, then that's fine, but Christmas is a Christian religious holiday, like it or lump it. The clue is in the name, and it is ridiculous and laughable to call it anything else just because you don't like admitting that you are involving yourself in something set up by the Christian church.
Reply 50
Honestly? No. But it is a good occasion to get families together (be it willingly or through force, bribery etc. :p:), which in most cases can't be a bad thing.
Mr Sparkles
Rofl at all the "Christians stole the meaning of a winter festival!" "Christ wasn't born on 25th of December!" comments.
Well, duh. But like it or not, Christmas is a Christian holiday. Whether there was a pre-existing pagan holiday or not is completely irrelevant. Such as it is, the true meaning of Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ, hence why its name is from "Christ's Mass". Don't try and spin it any other way.

If you aren't celebrating Christmas but are calling it "Winterval" or something like that, then that's fine, but Christmas is a Christian religious holiday, like it or lump it. The clue is in the name, and it is ridiculous and laughable to call it anything else just because you don't like admitting that you are involving yourself in something set up by the Christian church.

Quite frankly, we don't give a damn. :smile: Sure, Christmas became a Christian holiday; but people should know that Jeebus wasn't born on the 25th or other myths like that.
Reply 52
I was planning to lookup some of the old pagan/Egyptian stories, the virgin birth myth(s) especially.
But no I'm not celebrating the birth of Jesus, it's an excuse to party, if we didn't use that one we would have found another.
I'll be celebrating the birth of JC:awesome:, and also joining in many traditional activities
Mr Sparkles

Oooh lmfao you pawned them there mate:awesome:, good on you....i would rep you but i cant sorry...:rolleyes:
Reply 55
SebK
Quite frankly, we don't give a damn. :smile: Sure, Christmas became a Christian holiday; but people should know that Jeebus wasn't born on the 25th or other myths like that.

How can you say Christmas became a Christian holiday? When it was a Pagan ritual, it wasn't Christmas. Christmas, as pointed out is 'Christ's Mass' and has always been, and forever will be, a Christian holiday. Further, who are you to say what people should and should not know? The actual birth date of Christ is rather irrelevant, as pointed out, it's a celebration of his birth as opposed to when he was born. And I imagine when they came up with the date they didn't know the true date of Christ's birth and so the 25th was chosen for whatever reason (be it Pagan rituals, fit in with other festivals, it doesn't matter).

As for me, as a Christian, I'll be going to church in the morning and remembering the true meaning of the day but also enjoying the family togetherness and exchanging of gifts.
Reply 56
It is foremost a religious Celebration for me, and I do hold the meaning behind it in high regard throughout the day.

But of course id be a damned liar if i said, the Family, Food and Presents weren't just damn right fantastic.
I like to think about the true meaning of Christmas but I don't attend church for personal reasons so option 2 is the best I can get.
Woody.
How can you say Christmas became a Christian holiday? When it was a Pagan ritual, it wasn't Christmas. Christmas, as pointed out is 'Christ's Mass' and has always been, and forever will be, a Christian holiday. Further, who are you to say what people should and should not know? The actual birth date of Christ is rather irrelevant, as pointed out, it's a celebration of his birth as opposed to when he was born. And I imagine when they came up with the date they didn't know the true date of Christ's birth and so the 25th was chosen for whatever reason (be it Pagan rituals, fit in with other festivals, it doesn't matter).

As for me, as a Christian, I'll be going to church in the morning and remembering the true meaning of the day but also enjoying the family togetherness and exchanging of gifts.

Erm...i would also rep you but i cant.....great post:yes:
Reply 59
Tsukuyomi
you sound like a hypocrite

If you say so.

Latest

Trending

Trending