The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths for Comp Science degree

Ok, I really want to do Computer Science at uni, but all of the top ones want Maths at A level... I'm the type of person who gets a B at GCSE Maths... so if I'm prepared to really really work hard, do you think I should replace my Media studies (which I've been wary about anyway) with Maths and get an A/B in it at A-Level ?
Reply 1
Since you really want to do CS at top uni's that want Maths, you should take Maths to meet the requirements. Not sure what A-levels you are taking, but if you still like Media, you can still take it, but drop it after AS if you want to, as the workload will be a lot because of 4-5 A-levels.
As I've said to you before, I think it would be good to take maths because you'll have more universities to choose from, but only do it if you think you won't absolutely hate it and you'll get a decent grade in it. The person to ask here is your GCSE maths teacher, and obviously you'll have a better idea when you get your results, but also, can you imagine yourself studying maths for another 2 years without going insane? I know I couldn't :p: You say you'll work really really hard and that may be your intention, but you'll be less likely to if you don't enjoy your work.
Reply 3
Some uni's like Further Maths too at AS or A/A2-level. Just a suggestion. I would substitute that subjece with GS or CT.
Reply 4
As I've said to you before, I think it would be good to take maths because you'll have more universities to choose from, but only do it if you think you won't absolutely hate it and you'll get a decent grade in it. The person to ask here is your GCSE maths teacher, and obviously you'll have a better idea when you get your results, but also, can you imagine yourself studying maths for another 2 years without going insane? I know I couldn't You say you'll work really really hard and that may be your intention, but you'll be less likely to if you don't enjoy your work.

How is he going to enjoy computer science if he doesn't enjoy mathematics? Computer science and ICT are very different things.

Some uni's like Further Maths too at AS or A/A2-level. Just a suggestion. I would substitute that subjece with GS or CT.

GS and CT require very little work while Further Maths requires a lot of work and some ability. I think it's rather naive to state that you can just 'substitute FM with GS/CT' and all will be well. If he's nervous about taking standard A-Level Math then perhaps hold FM until your A2 year or you've studied at least one module from normal mathematics.
Reply 5
Gaz031
GS and CT require very little work while Further Maths requires a lot of work and some ability. I think it's rather naive to state that you can just 'substitute FM with GS/CT' and all will be well. If he's nervous about taking standard A-Level Math then perhaps hold FM until your A2 year or you've studied at least one module from normal mathematics.

Yeah, they do require little work. However, most universties do not accept them when they make offers. Sorry about being naive. :redface:

If he gets a B at GCSE, he would be confident at A-level maths. Subsequently, he might be interested in further maths later on.
I am going to enjoy Computing Science.

And I don't know if I should bother taking Maths considering all the top unis also want a physical science
And by the way I'm not allowed to substitute CT or GS its my colleges policy
Reply 8
HearTheThunder
I am going to enjoy Computing Science.

And I don't know if I should bother taking Maths considering all the top unis also want a physical science

Yeah, some want physical sciences. Physics would be good.

And by the way I'm not allowed to substitute CT or GS its my colleges policy

Fair enough. Woah, you will be doing a lot of A-levels then including CT and GS (i.e. 7 A-levels). :eek: Those exams you can't prepare for though. Your timetable will be full and you won't have many free periods.
Hmm I could get into warwick with a grade B in Maths without a physical science... would you say warwicks good?
Reply 10
HearTheThunder
Hmm I could get into warwick with a grade B in Maths without a physical science... would you say warwicks good?

According to the league tables (http://education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2005/table/0,,-5183112,00.html?chosen=Warwick&tariff=0&alpha=0), it's quite good, as it is ranked 19th in the Education guardian university subject league table.
Reply 11
http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/prospective/ugrad/csatox/apply/frequently_asked_questions.htm
Quotes include:
Computing is a mathematical subject.

you will need to know some mathematics, and more importantly, to have developed your ability in mathematical thinking.

We can't accept applications from people who are not taking at least Mathematics to A2 level,

Mathematics is also preferred at universities such as Bristol (http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply.html)
HearTheThunder

If you are determined to do computer science, and know that you'll enjoy it then go out of your way to get it. If most universities want a physical science, then do one; if they want maths and further maths then do those subjects.

One of my biggest regrets was choosing history was unrelated to what I want to do at university. I enjoyed it this year and should get an A on results day but it was still time wasted, and it could have been used to improve my skills in what I want to do! I’ve managed to drop history and join our school's further maths group a year late; but from experience I’d say its best to make the right choices first time round.
ok what about Manchester uni? they want a grade B in Maths with two other grade As but want a 'scientific bias' ??
Reply 14
HearTheThunder
ok what about Manchester uni? they want a grade B in Maths with two other grade As but want a 'scientific bias' ??

A lot of people prefer the Times league tables (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html) but there's no substitute for doing your own research by reading up on the course outline and visiting the universities.
I've decided against it.

Latest