The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I'm not sure about OU, but if you can, it certainly won't be a full student loan.

I study part time on a 75% intensity course, and get a PTG1 grant that covers most of my tuition fees, nothing more. I imagine there's something similar.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
No you can't. Even if doing a full time work load of study, it is still considered part time because of the institution.

If you are eligable for financial support from the OU then you do get a maximum £255 study grant a year, plus your fees paid.
½+½
No you can't. Even if doing a full time work load of study, it is still considered part time because of the institution.

If you are eligable for financial support from the OU then you do get a maximum £255 study grant a year, plus your fees paid.

But there are part-time grants available.
Reply 4
all funding for OU is through the SLC as is all other unis. The same funding as if your were studying part-time sonewhere else.
Revd. Mike
But there are part-time grants available.

Yes, which is what she said...you can get your fees paid and a £255 study grant if you meet certain requirements.
If you are in Scotland you avoid the SLC altogether, which is frankly a joy.
Reply 7
You can get a loan through OUSBA which you pay off during your studies. It usually works out to be about £50 a month per a 30 point course, over the duration of 8 months. Between OUSBA, the government financial grant and the great value OU offers, I can't really see the point in a student loan. One of the benefits of studying with Open University is that you don't end up graduating with loads of debt. In fact if you're working and studying, you probably won't have much time to spend your money anyway, so you could be in the unique position of graduating with a few pennies in your pocket rather than owing the bank.
Reply 8
raspberryswirl
Yes, which is what she said...you can get your fees paid and a £255 study grant if you meet certain requirements.

where can I do that? u got any links for me?
Read this page. When you apply to start a module you'll then have the option to apply for financial support, rather than paying the fees.
Reply 10
dg2009
all funding for OU is through the SLC as is all other unis. The same funding as if your were studying part-time sonewhere else.

If funding is through the SLC would it be taken away from any support you could get if you decided to go to university after?

So if i started two courses costing £1220 (S104 and SXR103) and then decided to go onto a brick university would the SLC only support 3 years of study or the normal 4?

(sorry if that is really confusing)
Reply 11
tarwe
If funding is through the SLC would it be taken away from any support you could get if you decided to go to university after?

So if i started two courses costing £1220 (S104 and SXR103) and then decided to go onto a brick university would the SLC only support 3 years of study or the normal 4?

(sorry if that is really confusing)

The funding is completely different, so you'd get the normal level of full time support.
Reply 12
Juno
The funding is completely different, so you'd get the normal level of full time support.

ah brilliant
thank you

Latest