The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1
fishpaste
Sorry to leave the other thread, thought that should stay on topic.

So is Warwick actually any good? I know they rate themselves very highly, I often hear it quoted that they have better research than Cambridge. Would you say it's the best course outside of Cambridge, academically?

what course are u exactly talking about ? Maths? generally in terms of research they r not better than Cambridge but they r in the top 5 (afte r ox,cam,LSe,IC)
They r good accademically and they r considerd to be one of the main oxbridge ulternatives:smile:
They r not the best thought....theres still the Oxford and the big london unis (LSE and Imperial) which are better than warwick
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Also what course r u applying with what a -levels? Predictions? apart from warwick where else u applied? rejections/offers etc...
Reply 3
Hmm I see, *vaguely regretful that I didn't apply to London*

I'm applying for straight 4yr maths at Warwick, Durham, Nottingham, York, Bath and Cambridge. With double maths, economics and physics Alevels. Predicted 4 As, accepted everywhere but Cambridge.

Tell me about yourself, where's your first/second choice?
Reply 4
fishpaste
Hmm I see, *vaguely regretful that I didn't apply to London*

I'm applying for straight 4yr maths at Warwick, Durham, Nottingham, York, Bath and Cambridge. With double maths, economics and physics Alevels. Predicted 4 As, accepted everywhere but Cambridge.

Tell me about yourself, where's your first/second choice?

Mathematics and Economics
Predicted AAB (Maths, Art, Eco)
LSE
Nottingham
Warwick
Bristol
UCL
York
application was sent 2-3 weeks ago so i haven't heard anything yet
Reply 5
HamaL
Mathematics and Economics
Predicted AAB (Maths, Art, Eco)
LSE
Nottingham
Warwick
Bristol
UCL
York
application was sent 2-3 weeks ago so i haven't heard anything yet

Cool, love economics. Was very very close to choosing PPE instead.

Where's your first choice?

Can anybody tell me how academic Durham is, less so than Warwick?
Reply 6
fishpaste

they r in order

Warwick's better i think
Also how long did it take to get ur offer from warwick?
Reply 7
HamaL
they r in order

Warwick's better i think
Also how long did it take to get ur offer from warwick?

Me too, but Durham's so..quaint :frown:

A month, I think, they were the last to reply though.
fishpaste

far less so, out of your choices (ex cam) i'd say bath or york are best for maths..based on no particular reasoning :smile:
Reply 9
rah
far less so, out of your choices (ex cam) i'd say bath or york are best for maths..based on no particular reasoning :smile:

I'm not entirely sure I can see that =P
Reply 10
How do you know you have not got into cambridge?

I'd recommend Bath out of the other Unis you've put down, but i'd go and visit each one and see which one appeals to you, they're quite different.
Reply 11
theone
How do you know you have not got into cambridge?

I'd recommend Bath out of the other Unis you've put down, but i'd go and visit each one and see which one appeals to you, they're quite different.

I've visited all but Nottingham. Really loved York as a campus, very nice people, love Durham as a place, probably the closest thing to Oxbridge with the colleges etc, hated the Warwick campus, but was impressed by the course, and the fresh thinking ethos.

I can't say I was impressed by Bath to be honest, the accomodation was great, great sports facilities, but I dunno, is it really seen as a leader in Maths?
I know of someone reading mathematics at warwick, he is very bright and somehow..early in his first year he was e-mailing his a-level maths teacher asking for help. That how tough it is, i'd say warwick is great for maths.
I'm doing econ and I personally rate Nottingham above warwick for econ, don't know what that has to do with this discussion..but thats just me
Reply 13
NEXTadamSMITH
I know of someone reading mathematics at warwick, he is very bright and somehow..early in his first year he was e-mailing his a-level maths teacher asking for help. That how tough it is, i'd say warwick is great for maths.
I'm doing econ and I personally rate Nottingham above warwick for econ, don't know what that has to do with this discussion..but thats just me

That sounds promisng,that's how hard I want to find it, has to seek external help, hard :P

I'm intrigued by Nottingham, I've never really thought about it, but people seem to be "gagging" to get an offer from them, and now I have I feel I could regret it if I disregard Notts.
Reply 14
OMG!
I'm applying to almost the same unis (Warwick, Durham, Southampton, York, Bath and Cambridge) to do Maths. I also did the same subjects at AS but dropped Economics so only do three A-Levels (predicted all grade A).
I didn't apply to London because I wouldn't want to live there no matter how good the unis are. I'm not applying to Nottingham because it is far to close to where I live.
I've been accepted to four of the unis but obvisously not from Cambridge yet and my Durham application is in a college.
I really want to go to Durham but am a bit worried that the course isn't as demanding as at Warwick. I don't like where warwick is (i.e. right on the edge of Coventry - I'd rather be in the town like Durham or Cambridge). Which college did you apply to/get accepted to at Durham?
Reply 15
Sue!
OMG!
I'm applying to almost the same unis (Warwick, Durham, Southampton, York, Bath and Cambridge) to do Maths. I also did the same subjects at AS but dropped Economics so only do three A-Levels (predicted all grade A).
I didn't apply to London because I wouldn't want to live there no matter how good the unis are. I'm not applying to Nottingham because it is far to close to where I live.
I've been accepted to four of the unis but obvisously not from Cambridge yet and my Durham application is in a college.
I really want to go to Durham but am a bit worried that the course isn't as demanding as at Warwick. I don't like where warwick is (i.e. right on the edge of Coventry - I'd rather be in the town like Durham or Cambridge). Which college did you apply to/get accepted to at Durham?

Hehe we're almost identical in our outlook and tastes. Similarly, I love the fact that Durham is a quaint town but probably won't be academically strong, and that Warwick is an amazing course but doesn't have any of the traditional aspects of Durham.

I applied to Grey, and that's where my offer is. What about you?
Reply 16
I've applied to St. Chads - don't really know much about it as I picked randomly b4 I thought I wanted to go to Durham
Reply 17
Went there for a look round a few months aho.. applying for Management Sciences. But if I were to be honest with myself, Warwick is out of my league.
Reply 18
James, it seems that you and i are at a similar level. I also am awaiting offers from Nottingham and Warwick for Management/Management Science and have offers from UMIST, Southampton, Lancaster and Aston. I am just wondering what ur predicted grades, subjects and GCSE grades are....just out of interest to see if we REALLY are at a similar level. I don't want Warwick to be out of my league!:smile:
Reply 19
GCSE: 3 A's, 5 B's, 2 C's and a D.
AS: ABBBC
A2 Predicted: AABB

I stopped fucking about after GCSE's.

Latest