The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Procrastinating
Do you believe that Xenu existed and that scientologys doctrine is true? How do you get a worldwide religious movement that has grown at a more phenomenal rate than many major world religions over the past century based on a myth?

This can be applied to hundreds or thosands of other religions.

lets see if scientology exists in 2000 years
Syzygyian
There were trade routes between West and East which made it easier for travellers to navigate. So I guess alot of people did travel.

A lot of traders but, not many people actually travelled futher away from their town or village they grew up in. An even smaller minority ever travelled out of their country
Peace'n'loveman
lets see if scientology exists in 2000 years
What about Hinduism then, It's existed for over 5000 years, a lot longer than Christianity and has affected Hundreds of Millions of people worldwide, it's Influence outside of Europe has been far greater than Christianities throughout history so would you dismiss Hinduism and their Gods and their stories as a myth. (Just arguing agaisnt the OPs claim, not attacking any particular religion btw)
Reply 23
Personally speaking I believe that Jesus did exist, just as Mohammed did, I just dispute that he was the son of God or anything other than a very popular preacher, of which there were literally thousands throughout the period of the Roman Empire.

Speaking purely as a history student here I'd say it's unlikely he went to India or Tibet. Considering the period in which Jesus was born, it is theoretically possible as there was an amount of trade between Roman Egypt and India and small Roman trading colonies in India but these were still very small as it wasn't that long after Egypt had been conquered by Rome.

Furthermore if as we're supposed to believe that as the Bible states, Jesus' father was a carpenter, he'd have no reason to take his family out east to India and Tibet nor the finance to do it. If Joseph had been a merchant or something like that, then there may have been a chance.

In other words, it's just another of these crackpot theories, such as the Chinese discovering the New World and sailing a fleet into Italy and kicking starting the Renaissance etc etc
Reply 24
Peace'n'loveman
well flavius josephus is one historical source that verifies the existence of jesus.More interestingly,for those who don't believe that jesus existed,how do you get a worldwide religious movement,that has grown over 2000 years based on a myth. This phenomenum in itself is worthy of serious study.

I always hear this and it's a very poor 'proof'. I could ask the same of Muhammad, who has probably even more devout followers than Jesus, yet Christians do not believe in him. How did that myth survive for millennia if Jesus's survival by itself is some automatic form of verification?
Reply 25
Craig_D
I always hear this and it's a very poor 'proof'. I could ask the same of Muhammad, who has probably even more devout followers than Jesus, yet Christians do not believe in him. How did that myth survive for millennia if Jesus's survival by itself is some automatic form of verification?

I don't think the existance of Muhammed is up for much debate, his historical legacy is there to be witnessed. Unlike Jesus who didn't really do anything notable in his lifetime on a geopolitical scale, Muhammed left a pretty big imprint, especially through his descendants. What Christians debate is whether Muhammed was a messenger of god and whether his teachings should be followed, not whether he existed.

As for whether I believe in the Tibetan scrolls, I'd probably err more to mistranslations, similar names giving false impressions of Jesus having been there or just fakes. Theres little plausible reason for a carpenter's son of that time to end up in the subcontinent.
Craig_D

Well i think that there is much more evidence for the existence of muhammad-not least the Koran itself. Like the reply about scientology we also know that Ron L Hubbard existed. The anti's are saying that Jesus never existed.Even if i was an atheist ,perhaps because of my Psychology background, i would be interested in how a myth came to dominate the world view of western civilization.I would be interested in enigmas such as how it is that people like Richard Dawkins who are very much Oxbridge people don't seem to understand that the great educational establishments came out of the religious movements.They are the children of christianity ,moulded by it, and benefit by it,and yet bite the hand that feeds them.
While this doesn't seem very plausible, it would explain a lot of his social liberalism.
I remember seeing something about this years ago. It had all sorts of 'links' between India/thereabouts Jesus.

There was something to do with the Wise Men from the East being religious men searching for a new leader. Jesus went there during his adolescence and learnt their teachings. Also something about a holy temple where religious leaders were buried, but there is one facing the wrong way. Jewish people are buried facing a different way from those in India/Tibet. And supposed markings on the tomb which highlight the crucifixion wounds of Jesus.

All a load of nonsense, in my opinion.

Latest

Trending

Trending