The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Evanesyne
Gosh, that's before uni, right?

Yeah, I don't start uni till next September, but I've got all my uni offers back :smile:
Reply 81
Evanesyne
I think I'm going to take 4 academic subjects with a 5th subject that I enjoy to keep me sane. As long as Philosophy counts as an academic subject. :rolleyes:

Iou in good stead for writing essays at Degree Level. :smile:
Reply 82
I think taking 5 subjects is odd. Yes you might be able to handle it, but at the moment you have no concept of whether you will or not, and it will definitely negatively impact on your other 4, without giving you any real advantage. The best unis for Psychology want 3 As, so if you want to give yourself the best chance, I'd work hard at getting some sciences up to A grade. I've done a Psychology degree by the way, have worked with the admissions tutor for York at open days discussing what gets students in, and now work for the department. He just repeats 'the stronger the scientific background, the more chance of getting an offer' and obviously with thousands of applicants, most offers go to people with 3 As, even though the entry requirements are AAB/ABB.
Reply 83
Melana
I think taking 5 subjects is odd. Yes you might be able to handle it, but at the moment you have no concept of whether you will or not, and it will definitely negatively impact on your other 4, without giving you any real advantage. The best unis for Psychology want 3 As, so if you want to give yourself the best chance, I'd work hard at getting some sciences up to A grade. I've done a Psychology degree by the way, have worked with the admissions tutor for York at open days discussing what gets students in, and now work for the department. He just repeats 'the stronger the scientific background, the more chance of getting an offer' and obviously with thousands of applicants, most offers go to people with 3 As, even though the entry requirements are AAB/ABB.

People have told me that before :s-smilie: but it's hard to reign myself in. I always want to do and try everything, it's not in my nature to stick to one thing.
When you say science, would Biology be enough or would I need Chemistry as well? Would it give me more advantage if I do Chemistry?
Reply 84
becomingbindy
Yeah, I don't start uni till next September, but I've got all my uni offers back :smile:

Did your college helpe you to find work experience placements?

Ooh well done :smile: which one is firm?
Evanesyne
People have told me that before :s-smilie: but it's hard to reign myself in. I always want to do and try everything, it's not in my nature to stick to one thing.
When you say science, would Biology be enough or would I need Chemistry as well? Would it give me more advantage if I do Chemistry?

Well surely if it's "the more science, the better the chance", you should do 3 science subjects and Psychology?

eg: bio chem maths psych

or: bio chem physics psych
Reply 86
This is all about giving yourself the best chance - you don't "need" to do particular subjects, but you stand more chance of getting in if you've got the best subjects. As these are very difficult subjects, I can't express strongly enough how much I wouldn't do 5. Even if you do manage it, you can be certain that you could have done even better without the fifth, it's just obvious. You could always pick up an AS in your second year if you feel that you're managing fine, but with all respect, if you haven't done A levels before, you can't know how you'll deal with them, and you could genuinely risk your chances of getting the best offers if your grades slip as a result, even slightly. The fact that you're already considering your degree at this stage shows real commitment so I wouldn't want you to want a mistake.
Reply 87
Melana
This is all about giving yourself the best chance - you don't "need" to do particular subjects, but you stand more chance of getting in if you've got the best subjects. As these are very difficult subjects, I can't express strongly enough how much I wouldn't do 5. Even if you do manage it, you can be certain that you could have done even better without the fifth, it's just obvious. You could always pick up an AS in your second year if you feel that you're managing fine, but with all respect, if you haven't done A levels before, you can't know how you'll deal with them, and you could genuinely risk your chances of getting the best offers if your grades slip as a result, even slightly. The fact that you're already considering your degree at this stage shows real commitment so I wouldn't want you to want a mistake.

I'm doing AS Fine Art right now, and yeah, a lot of work load. But I would like to try first, then drop one if things are horrible.
Reply 88
Either go for Maths Psychology english Biology

or maths psychology biology and chemistry

or maths physics biology chemistry
Reply 89
becomingbindy

congrats on getting into warwick :redface:, 5th best uni in the uk :smile:
Evanesyne
Did your college helpe you to find work experience placements?

Ooh well done :smile: which one is firm?

One of my placements was compulsory through school, and I organised the rest myself. And thanks, it's between Nottingham and Southampton for firm choice but I can't decide :frown:

goats
congrats on getting into warwick :redface:, 5th best uni in the uk :smile:

Thank you :smile: I'm not going there though, even though people think I'm a bit crazy for turning them down!
Reply 91
becomingbindy

Thank you :smile: I'm not going there though, even though people think I'm a bit crazy for turning them down!

Why did you turn them down????
goats
Why did you turn them down????

I haven't yet, but I'm going to. I'm not sure really, I just far preferred Nottingham and Southampton. Warwick is quite remote and I've always lived in London so I'm a big fan of living in the city. All the unis I applied to are considered to be good, well-respected universities, so I'm not too bothered about which one's considered to be the best.
Reply 93
becomingbindy
I haven't yet, but I'm going to. I'm not sure really, I just far preferred Nottingham and Southampton. Warwick is quite remote and I've always lived in London so I'm a big fan of living in the city. All the unis I applied to are considered to be good, well-respected universities, so I'm not too bothered about which one's considered to be the best.

i would kill to do a degree at warwick, you should really change your mind, at the end of the day bare oxbridge, lse and UCL there is no better uni than warwick :yes:
Reply 94
becomingbindy
One of my placements was compulsory through school, and I organised the rest myself. And thanks, it's between Nottingham and Southampton for firm choice but I can't decide :frown:

I hope my school can organise something for me too. Luckily there's a hospital nearby, I suppose.

Pah~ who cares what other people thinks. Some of the more prestigious universities are sometime over rated, and I often heard that Warwick is one of those quite over-rated ones. But then again, people need to see it for themselves.
Reply 95
becomingbindy

Hi! Where are you thinking of firm/insurancing? lol

Leicester and Southampton are great for Psychology!:biggrin:
Psychology would be a given choice. Biology and Maths/Stats would be very beneficial but thats about it. I wouldn't advise you to do English if you don't enjoy it.
The best advice I can think of would be the obvious really- pick subjects you need for uni, are good at and very importantly enjoy. I think a subject choice should cover 2 of these 3 things as a minimum. If it doesn't then you may want to reconsider. So for the last subject you can pick whatever you like and are good at. Just remember Psychology has hardly any specific subject requirements but sciences are generally favoured. (Check with each uni your intending on applying to.) So if you happen to like Physics and Chemistry and are good at it, either may make a good 4th choice but are not necessary. (Although Maths/Stats+Biology > Physics+Chemistry. You already have 3 sciences with the first three subjects I mentioned, you don't need anymore really.)
racoon97
Hi! Where are you thinking of firm/insurancing? lol

Leicester and Southampton are great for Psychology!:biggrin:

My insurance is Leicester, and then it's between Southampton or Nottingham for my firm choice. I'm waiting to visit them again before I decide.
Reply 98
Evanesyne
I have my mind pretty much set on being a Psychologist, but I'm not sure what A levels would help me the most. So far, I know I'm going to take Psychology, Biology and Graphics/Photography out of interest and as a possible back-up. My question is, out of Philosophy, Sociology, English lang. and Chemistry, which would the most useful for a Bsc Psychology degree? Are there two subjects that are equally useful?
Thanks.

I'm doing Psychology at uni atm and tbh it doesn't matter a great deal what A levels you do as long as you get the right amount of points... I didn't do Psyc at A level and they start your degree as though you've not done psyc before soo you know... maths is an alright one to have but for any stats we use SPSS so it's not vital to be good at maths... Hope that helps :smile:
Boden
I'm doing Psychology at uni atm and tbh it doesn't matter a great deal what A levels you do as long as you get the right amount of points... I didn't do Psyc at A level and they start your degree as though you've not done psyc before soo you know... maths is an alright one to have but for any stats we use SPSS so it's not vital to be good at maths... Hope that helps :smile:

Do you not do any by hand? We spent the first year in stats without touching SPSS, and everything I've learnt in the second year we've been taught to do by hand.