The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i know nottingham have stables and its cheap to keep your horse there but you have to let it be used for practicals or something
Lucy_x
anyway, i'm in year 12, and i was wondering if anyone who does bvetmed degree keeps a horse and how they find the time and whether they would have prefered to loan it out etc
also, do any of the uni's have stables (sorry if i sound dim!!), or do you use local livery yards etc or keep them at home still.

Time certainly in the first couple of years is limited, and the final years. Working 9-5 is the norm with exam revision, tutorial essays and project work on top.

Sure some of the unis have stables but whether you can actually use them is another matter entirely. Personally I don't know of anyone who keeps their horses at Langford, maybe it's because they don't offer that facility or maybe it's because it's isolated.

Realistically you're looking at livery or keeping your horse at home for the most part.
Reply 3
Lucy_x
sorry if there's been a thread on this before!!

anyway, i'm in year 12, and i was wondering if anyone who does bvetmed degree keeps a horse and how they find the time and whether they would have prefered to loan it out etc
also, do any of the uni's have stables (sorry if i sound dim!!), or do you use local livery yards etc or keep them at home still.

Yes it's true, there are stables at Nottingham - places are limited but some people keep their horses at local livery yards too. Yes, it's busy, but if you want to spend your spare time doing horsey things then go for it, plenty of others do it. Don't forget there are also plenty of other keen vet students to help out with your horse too!
I am having this problem - with only 9 months left to uni i have to decide what to do with my mare. I am hoping to keep her at her yard atm which is 30 mins drive from liverpool uni and right by leahurst as she has issues with other horses so moving yard may cause problems. She has already kicked the fence down 3 times in the last 2 days as a new horse has arrived - the yard owner isnt happy!!!!! I will be devastated if i cant keep her :frown:
Reply 5
rupertbear91
I am having this problem - with only 9 months left to uni i have to decide what to do with my mare. I am hoping to keep her at her yard atm which is 30 mins drive from liverpool uni and right by leahurst as she has issues with other horses so moving yard may cause problems. She has already kicked the fence down 3 times in the last 2 days as a new horse has arrived - the yard owner isnt happy!!!!! I will be devastated if i cant keep her :frown:

well if you can afford to keep her its a great location for it cos in the last couple of years even if you dont have much time you could go see her quickly.
didnt you just get her recently?
Annaconda
well if you can afford to keep her its a great location for it cos in the last couple of years even if you dont have much time you could go see her quickly.
didnt you just get her recently?

yh i got her a couple of months ago and origionally i was going to sell her to go to uni ut now i know i wont be able to part with her. My dad had his first ridin lesson today and said if he can ride my horse by the time i go to uni i can keep her and he will pay so fingers crossed!!!!
Reply 7
Lucy_x
sorry if there's been a thread on this before!!

I'm on the vet course at nottingham now and keep my horse at the stables on campus. There are 16 spaces available and the horses are used for practicals (but its not very often as they rotate which horses they use and always ask permission first, so if you think the practical involves something that your horse may not be comfortable with you can request that they're not used). Quite a few other people on the course also keep their horses at local livery yards in the surrounding area.

Everyone I've spoken to manage the time and work fine, although some do offer their horses to other students to share to make the costs and time easier to cope with.

Personally I find it ok keeping my horse there and manage to do my work, ride regularly and go out clubbing :wink: . Sometimes its a pain getting up early after a night out to sort the horse before lectures but I wouldn't have it any other way as I would go crazy if I couldn't ride!! The work can get hard and mount up at times but having the horse forces you to take a break and lets you chill out for five.

It's not for everyone and I'm not sure how easy it is to keep horses at other unis (if I'd gone to London there's no way I could have afforded to take her with me!) but just speak to existing students at open days as they can usually direct you to someone horsey who can help you out.

Sorry for the essay :p: xxxxxxxx
Reply 8
Starlight$$
I'm on the vet course at nottingham now and keep my horse at the stables on campus. There are 16 spaces available and the horses are used for practicals (but its not very often as they rotate which horses they use and always ask permission first, so if you think the practical involves something that your horse may not be comfortable with you can request that they're not used). Quite a few other people on the course also keep their horses at local livery yards in the surrounding area.

Everyone I've spoken to manage the time and work fine, although some do offer their horses to other students to share to make the costs and time easier to cope with.

Personally I find it ok keeping my horse there and manage to do my work, ride regularly and go out clubbing :wink: . Sometimes its a pain getting up early after a night out to sort the horse before lectures but I wouldn't have it any other way as I would go crazy if I couldn't ride!! The work can get hard and mount up at times but having the horse forces you to take a break and lets you chill out for five.

It's not for everyone and I'm not sure how easy it is to keep horses at other unis (if I'd gone to London there's no way I could have afforded to take her with me!) but just speak to existing students at open days as they can usually direct you to someone horsey who can help you out.

ahh don't worry that's a great answer thanks! what kind of things do they use your horse in practicals for? like bandaging or stitching or stuff :s-smilie: or showing points of a horse etc :smile: xxx
Starlight$$

That makes me feel sooo much better thanks. I hope the 30 min drive to her will not prove too much - maybe i should have chosen notts!
Lucy_x
ahh don't worry that's a great answer thanks! what kind of things do they use your horse in practicals for? like bandaging or stitching or stuff :s-smilie: or showing points of a horse etc :smile: xxx

They never use them for anything clinical like stitching. Mainly basic horse handling techniques and palpation, as there will be some people on the course with limited horse experience. Rugging, bridling, leading, points of the horse etc. They have done bandaging but only a basic stable bandage. Other things my horse has been used for have included lunging (but that was just a demo and the person lunging her was a lecturer who had a lot of horse experience) and a GI practical (where they just observed the horses, did palpation tasks and condition scoring). The sessions are always led by a mixture of lecturers with horse expertise and practising equine vets. And, as i said, if there's anything you don't want your horse to be used for then you just tell the yard manager and they'll put it on your horses notes to ensure they're not used for that part of (or the whole) practical :smile:
rupertbear91
That makes me feel sooo much better thanks. I hope the 30 min drive to her will not prove too much - maybe i should have chosen notts!

no problem :biggrin: i'm sure you'll manage to sort something out that will work for you and your horse. i'm lucky at notts for the fact she's literally stabled a minutes walk from my flat but i know plenty of people that manage to travel and make it work.
Reply 12
I'm at glasgow in 2nd year and keep my horse at a local (ish) livery yard. I find it quite doable time-wise, although its a real drag getting buses to and fro and wandering around in the pitch black in winter. My horse is 10 miles away though and this takes 30mins by bus with additional waiting time means that even to go and feed him takes me 2 1/2 hours!

Manage time wise to combine it with uni and a social life, but not money wise. I'm allready a tight arse and unfortunately thats all my summer earnings run out so I'm going to have to loan him out or sell him :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending