The Student Room Group

Anyone else had this since they have come home from University?

I haven't posted on here for ages so sorry if i get the wrong forum etc etc.

Basically, i came home from Leeds University after an amazing first term there. Made loadsa friends and had sucha good time. Since i've come home though, my once good group of friends seems to be a bit strange. Some people aren't talking to others, some seem generally off with me and i've hardly seen alot of them since ive come back (3 weeks in now...)
Anyone else felt a bit out of place this early on in university times?

Scroll to see replies

Havnt got a helpful reply but how are you liking life in leeds? am considering it for next year!
Reply 2
Wouldn't surprise me. Some so called 'friends' don't even respond to me on facebook anymore. Oh well, it's nice, weeds out the ground for me.
Yeah, we keep making empty promises to each other that we'll meet up. I doubt it'll happen though. :sad:
Reply 4
uni tests real freindships imo. I didnt go to uni but all of my freinds did, and the ones that I would have called good freinds back then are still as close to me now. the ones that didnt matter drifted away into the mist. In fact me and some of them are off to germany for new years as one of them is staying out there. It's weird because we've all moved on and have new lives now but still make time to see one another even if it is only in the holidays.
Depends on whether you kept talking to them while you were gone or not? I don't really have a problem with any of my friends...
Reply 6
Well I don't go uni (3rd yr at college) so I guess you could say I'm coming from the 'other end'. Me, two girls from college and two of my friends who had just got back from uni went for lunch together. And about 70% of the time the conversation dominated their uni life. Once I tried telling them what I had gotten upto etc. but somehow it ended up me listening to him describing how he was being late for his lecture last week because he was partying the night before.
I can understand them being excited and happy and I'm genuininly happy they are having a good time. But when they both told me they are so bored back home and could not wait to go back to uni kinda makes me feel like they don't enjoy my company anymore. I do still keep in touch with them though but it's normally me making the effort.
Reply 7
monstermunch1
Havnt got a helpful reply but how are you liking life in leeds? am considering it for next year!

Leeds is really good, definitely worth considering.
Reply 8
It's called growing up. I found that the friends I had in high school weren't out of choice, but necessity and I wouldn't have been friends with them if I hadn't lived in such a small place. Uni gives you the chance to go out, make news friends and have no limits on who you can meet. It's probably for the best - you can't have the same group of friends forever.
Reply 9
I went university, expecting to meet new people and make friends, I still hav'nt made any friends not even one, the hardest thing about is that I dont not even one single mate I could go out with.
mistth12
I haven't posted on here for ages so sorry if i get the wrong forum etc etc.

Basically, i came home from Leeds University after an amazing first term there. Made loadsa friends and had sucha good time. Since i've come home though, my once good group of friends seems to be a bit strange. Some people aren't talking to others, some seem generally off with me and i've hardly seen alot of them since ive come back (3 weeks in now...)
Anyone else felt a bit out of place this early on in university times?

yep. it is sad at the time but when you go to uni you loose touch with alooooooooot of people. i had loads of friends at college and now i only speak to one of them. not because we fell out but simply because you grow apart. they will all be worrying about new/different things now.
in the long run you alway keep n touch with the people that care about you most.
like i said it sad and everyone learns it the hard way but things will work out.
i only speak to a 2 people from uni now and i lived with those guys for 3 years. its just life:frown:
I am guilty of this, but that's cause since I have been back really all I have been doing is revision nad having a family emergency. Still feel guilty about having not met up.
With me, it's the fact that I'm having a crap time at uni, whilst my best friends are having a fantastic time and don't really want to be home. One's really changed, too, and I miss her :/
Reply 13
Yeah I've found that since I've come back from uni I've actually been quite lonely. I guess in my last few months of sixth form I didn't have a really strong group of friends, just a few really good ones, and people that I'd just know.

In uni now, I've got a really good group of friends and miss it so much at the moment. Ohh wellllll
Reply 14
i get what you mean, but all of my friends who had gone away including me were happy to meet up
Reply 15
People don't speak to each other in term time then when they do meet at Christmas all they do is talk about their mates at uni.
Reply 16
Know exactly what you mean - I noticed it last year but it's been so much worse this year. I saw my 'best friends'' status on facebook last night mentioning looking forward to going out with predrinks at hers. I commented on it saying "lol, no invite?". She's been online since and no reply. Wow, thanks.
:snow::snow::snow::snow: your old friends, you have new ones now!
I'm on a gap year (to start uni in September 2010), and all my friends went in September2009. What I find annoying is that they were elated to get a place at uni, and now all they do is complain about the workload or the people etc. I know people are entitled to a bit of a moan, but they do it excessively. I didn't even get the grades to go, but half of my friends actually think I'm at uni now, that's how often I talk to them!
Reply 19
I have nothing to contribute but Leeds Uni ftw.

Latest

Trending

Trending