The Student Room Group

how relevant are GCSE's to Medicine?

I have stumbled across various means of information on the internet which have assisted my knowledge of that GCSE's are quite inadequate to taking a further course in medicine.

I sm currently 15, so am yet to sit me GCSE's... But what are the necessities of these examinations?

For example.. If a person were to receive straight B's then at A Level get 2 A's and a B, will these results permit him to be educated in the medical environment??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
GCSEs are taken into account when universities score you, but different universities use them in different ways. Whereas some universities do not put so much emphasis on getting good GCSEs, some put A LOT of emphasis on them. Birmingham do not even look at candidates who do not meet a GCSE cut-off (usually 7 or 8 A*s!).

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Some medical schools would accept you, but others have requirements for GCSEs like at least A in Maths/English/any sciences you don't have at A Level. Also, although you may get an offer of AAB, applicants usually have at least AAA so you would stand less of a chance.
They are very relevant. Most unis ask for at least a B in about 5 subjects. Also, A Levels of AAB will be difficult to get you into medicine at uni.
Reply 4
Becky21
Some medical schools would accept you, but others have requirements for GCSEs like at least A in Maths/English/any sciences you don't have at A Level. Also, although you may get an offer of AAB, applicants usually have at least AAA so you would stand less of a chance.

But if they make you an offer of AAB, regardless of whether other applicants get AAA, if you get AAB you're in, right?
Reply 5
incredibly
Reply 6
Marcus_Q
But if they make you an offer of AAB, regardless of whether other applicants get AAA, if you get AAB you're in, right?

Yes.

OP, GCSEs are, to varying degrees, quite important in the overall admissions process. As a broad guide, you should aim for something in the region of 4A*s, 4As upwards.
Reply 7
I would asume they are very important because medecine is the most competitive course in the UK. Many universities will reject you if your GCSE´s arent good enough, but i think its also important to have all the proper work experience and knowledge displayed on your personal statement.
Reply 8
pmiles
I have stumbled across various means of information on the internet which have assisted my knowledge of that GCSE's are quite inadequate to taking a further course in medicine.

I sm currently 15, so am yet to sit me GCSE's... But what are the necessities of these examinations?

For example.. If a person were to receive straight B's then at A Level get 2 A's and a B, will these results permit him to be educated in the medical environment??

The more A* the better. Most people tell you that GCSE's are not that vital compared to the rest of the application but don't let it hold you back.
Reply 9
pmiles

I've moved this to the Medicine forum. You'll get a better response here. :smile:
Reply 10
Yes, they are important to many medical schools in many ways.. Aim for as many *'s as possible and just do the best you can. If you're looking to do medicine, you need to excel in everything, absolutely everything. That's how competitive the course is becoming.
Reply 11
as long as you meet each medicals schools: GCSE requirements you will be fine. Although some medical schools will give you extra credit for better GCSEs but the amount varies. For gap year students who already have their A levels GCSEs can have a smaller weight (so long as you meet the universities minimum requirements).
it entirely depends on the uni. some like soton liverpool require something like 6 As or Bs and then dont give you any credit for more, but some like birmingham will reject anyone with anything less than 8A*s, and some use a points system like cardiff and nottingham and then take them into account when looking at the whole application.

so do as weel as you can, aim for As and A*s, because then ull have more of a choice of med schools and it will give you an advantage in the long run in most places. but also remeber they arnt everything!
Reply 13
You should aim to do as well as possible, because even if you change your mind about doing medicine, they can still be important for applications to other things. For example even some graduate training schemes take GCSEs into account when they are making their selection. So make sure you work hard and do lots of revision for them.
GCSEs are rather important in medicine admissions. It varies according to the university, but most do take them into account and usually, simply meeting the entry requirements isn't good enough (although some medical schools do in fact just want you to meet the entry requirements, and then they stop caring, I think).

If anything, I think people underestimate the importance of GCSEs. A lot of universities use them when assessing your academics, and you don't exactly want to be losing too many points.
The course is so competitive, and good GCSEs would be an advantage. All medical schools state minimums, but I imagine they'd give preference to someone with straight A*s over straight Bs providing all other aspects were the same.
If your GCSEs weren't too good, you'd be best aiming for at least AAA.
A lot of unis use them, and Birmingham places a big emphasis on them, so you need to work hard and get the best grades you can or you could be limiting your choices.
Why is the OP typing like a tosser?
Reply 17
ok thanks all! :smile:
pmiles
ok thanks all! :smile:

:smile: Just work hard for your GCSEs, pay attention and aim for the higher grades: A*/A grades.
do gcse resits make a differance like Alevel resits do?

Latest

Trending

Trending