The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Not competitive? I think you will find that it is quite/very competitive thats why they asked for a grade B at GCSE not a C. If you had a Maths AS that might 'negate' the disadvantage of having a grade C, but im presuming you don't have a Maths AS/A2 so you're best bet is to phone up the uni. However they might just say 'yeah sure you can try applying' even though they don't really think you will get the offer, they just want more a bigger 'applicants' number.
Reply 21
Apagg
Do you have any examples?

what to link to? no and i wont look since its a silly question. would you need a Phd in engineering to work as an engineer? just look at the job descrioptions of jobs, e.g. bank of england has some jobs where you need a masters not Phd. then from personal experience Ive been to quite a few company presentations where one would not need to have a Phd to work as an economist.
This question gets asked so often. Search function?
Reply 23
danny111
what to link to? no and i wont look since its a silly question. would you need a Phd in engineering to work as an engineer? just look at the job descrioptions of jobs, e.g. bank of england has some jobs where you need a masters not Phd. then from personal experience Ive been to quite a few company presentations where one would not need to have a Phd to work as an economist.

The only three/four examples I can think of include: Civil Service FastStream Economist, GES Economist, Economist with PwC, and Economist at EY.

The Bank of England requires a Masters... you mentioned specifically not even needing a Masters degree. They do offer opportunities to those without, but they are non-economic specific roles and are open to any discipline.
Reply 24
.ACS.
The only three/four examples I can think of include: Civil Service FastStream Economist, GES Economist, Economist with PwC, and Economist at EY.

The Bank of England requires a Masters... you mentioned specifically not even needing a Masters degree. They do offer opportunities to those without, but they are non-economic specific roles and are open to any discipline.

as i said, go to company events (in london) and you will find them.
Reply 25
.ACS.
If they require a B, then they require a B. Simple as.

Out of curiosity, which university are you talking about?

Queens, Belfast!

http://knock.qub.ac.uk/ug_course_finder/disp.php?y=0910&id=L100&rp=az
Reply 26
danny111

You said you didn't need a Masters for some, I've yet to see such a position. There's no need to be so aggressive either.
Apagg
You said you didn't need a Masters for some, I've yet to see such a position. There's no need to be so aggressive either.

Id imagine it be possible without a masters but harder to find a job and im guessing most would be for a junior economist position though. To TC if you combine it with business unis will probably be more leniant i have a friend with GCSE maths grade C at Loughborough doing Econ, Bus & Finance.
Reply 28
FifthQuarter
a job at Mickey D's. :wink:

In all seriousness, there are many opportunities with a degree in economics:

1. Investment Banking
2. Consultancy
3. Economist (PhD.) / Public Policy
4. Trading
The list goes on...

Sorry, i hate to split hairs but strictly speaking, trading is part of investment banking.
Reply 29
Apagg

aggressive? because i said its a silly question?
Reply 30
danny111
aggressive? because i said its a silly question?

Your general tone, but perhaps I misread your post. So, can you name any jobs where you work as an economist without needing a Masters? I'm sure they don't exist
Reply 31
Both of you shut the :snow::snow::snow::snow: up, k?
Reply 32
Apagg
Your general tone, but perhaps I misread your post. So, can you name any jobs where you work as an economist without needing a Masters? I'm sure they don't exist

i met a guy from oxera who said he doesnt have a masters and that you dont need one for some of their jobs. i went to a consultancy (cant remember name) and likewise.
Reply 33
danny111
i met a guy from oxera who said he doesnt have a masters and that you dont need one for some of their jobs. i went to a consultancy (cant remember name) and likewise.

No you didn't.
Stupid jibes (from people who know nothing about economics) when you save money on shopping ('oh you're such an economist').
Reply 35
danny111

Funny, because I applied to Oxera and they told me the opposite. I strongly suspect the work will not be actual Economics, but just data analysis and collection, seeing as their consultants require postgrad qualifications.
jpatel10
Sorry, i hate to split hairs but strictly speaking, trading is part of investment banking.

sorry but your argument sucks. not all traders are IB and not all IB are traders, so its ok to put in separate category
jpatel10

Sorry to put the hairs back together again, but not always.
Reply 38
Apagg

Actually, I did mention four examples above. :p:
Mind, from what I've found, they're pretty much the only examples.
Reply 39
my apologies...i forgot about fund management...wow, just looked like a dick lol

Latest

Trending

Trending