The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
SoundDevastation
I live in an abandoned building, I find clothes in the street, and food in supermarket bins. My only income is JSA, my parents dont support me. Yes im poor.. im also free :biggrin:

Free from what? You're still living off the state.
I don't know if I consider myself poor, but the sides of my cardboard box are beginning to go soggy in the rain and I have to ration myself to 3 baked beans and 6 cornflakes a day.
i am far from it myself because i got savings (not meaning to brag or anything but its true) but everyone else always bangs on about being poor and then totally wastes their money on high quantities of pointless little things as if that is ok and the small things dont add up and some just say they are broke to get themselves into that mind set so they get stingier, bizarre.
Reply 23
jigsawismyhero
i am far from it myself because i got savings (not meaning to brag or anything but its true) but everyone else always bangs on about being poor and then totally wastes their money on high quantities of pointless little things as if that is ok and the small things dont add up and some just say they are broke to get themselves into that mind set so they get stingier, bizarre.

Your soo right about some who 'hemselves into that mind set so they get stingier, bizarre'. I met so may fo them students, personally I think if you dont spend it on silly things adn work you will be ahead,.
Reply 24
LOV3R
Your soo right about some who 'hemselves into that mind set so they get stingier, bizarre'. I met so may fo them students, personally I think if you dont spend it on silly things adn work you will be ahead,.

I was actually the best off when I was signing on since that was all I had, i.e no loans, overdrafts, credit cards etc.

I got £45 a week JSA and spent £20 of that on a night out once a fortnight and bought a few take aways that was my luxuries and the rest of the time lived off pasta.

I am worse with cash now I have more money each week(though its a student loan) since when I go up town I am compelled to treat myself to a sandwich, coffee, dvd or whatever that I am miserable.
Reply 25
My mother's plan has always been to teach us how to look after ourselves on a small budget and then not give us much money. Which is a good plan, given that there are 4 of us, and so far, I think she's done a good job. I know how to cook a good meal with ingredients for under £1 and I know exactly what good prices for clothes are.
EarlHickey
Thats what my parents are like, they use a lot of coal but still cant afford massive amounts and still pay quite a bit for what they use so its cold in the house, so bad that over Chrstmas my legs and arms were so sore I had to take ibruoprofen when at my student house even with heating off I can sleep.

I know right! But your case is even worse :frown:
When I told my mum I was cold, she just said I should put on more clothes. :s-smilie: And it doesn't help that I go to bed really late when it's even colder, and taking a shower in the morning is awful.

When I'm older and with my own apartment, I'll have 20+ °C in my house ALWAYS.
Reply 27
EarlHickey
I was actually the best off when I was signing on since that was all I had, i.e no loans, overdrafts, credit cards etc.

I got £45 a week JSA and spent £20 of that on a night out once a fortnight and bought a few take aways that was my luxuries and the rest of the time lived off pasta.

I am worse with cash now I have more money each week(though its a student loan) since when I go up town I am compelled to treat myself to a sandwich, coffee, dvd or whatever that I am miserable.

Really wow! your just like me. Although I was'nt on JSA, instead lived of EMA and had the same luxuries as you, wow we do have something in common lol:smile:
Reply 28
Shadowplay
I know right! But your case is even worse :frown:
When I told my mum I was cold, she just said I should put on more clothes. :s-smilie: And it doesn't help that I go to bed really late when it's even colder, and taking a shower in the morning is awful.

When I'm older and with my own apartment, I'll have 20+ °C in my house ALWAYS.

Well I have been here since Monday afternoon and apart from Tuesday when I went to bed 1am gone to bed just after midnight every night since apart from Christmas Eve when I went to bed early for nostalgia reasons lol.

My dad also says try not to have more than a 10 minute shower etc
Reply 29
Bobifier
My mother's plan has always been to teach us how to look after ourselves on a small budget and then not give us much money. Which is a good plan, given that there are 4 of us, and so far, I think she's done a good job. I know how to cook a good meal with ingredients for under £1 and I know exactly what good prices for clothes are.

I wish I could cook for under a pound, but everytime I try it becomes a mess, wish I was liek you:smile:
Reply 30
I have a full-time job, so I have an okay amount of money to live on, but I'm still pretty poor by real-life standards, even if I have more to spend than your average student.

Having said this, all the students I know have nicer clothes/posessions than me, go out more and spend more on food.
Reply 31
EarlHickey
Well I have been here since Monday afternoon and apart from Tuesday when I went to bed 1am gone to bed just after midnight every night since apart from Christmas Eve when I went to bed early for nostalgia reasons lol.

My dad also says try not to have more than a 10 minute shower etc

How do you manage to go sleep early, I could understand why you had to sleep early for xmas, waking up early and getting things prepared and meeting family&friends.?:yes:
TableChair
Why does an abandoned building have internet?

It doesnt have any electricity, Im at a friends house.
Reply 33
LOV3R
I wish I could cook for under a pound, but everytime I try it becomes a mess, wish I was liek you:smile:

My parents can do a meal for 2-4 people for a quid, but thats normally stuff like mince, packet mash, mixed veg etc with something like jelly for pudding.

Or home made soup or a tin of cheap soup with scraps of meat and veg chucked in etc.
Reply 34
LOV3R
How do you manage to go sleep early, I could understand why you had to sleep early for xmas, waking up early and getting things prepared and meeting family&friends.?:yes:

I just can as I am bored since apart from my pc I have no dvds, only ancient Snes and Mega Drive games to play(and no way to tune in tv as no remote) loads of old comic bookss etc and thats about it and we live 8-10 miles from nearest pub and shop.
Reply 35
EarlHickey
I just can as I am bored since apart from my pc I have no dvds, only ancient Snes and Mega Drive games to play(and no way to tune in tv as no remote) loads of old comic bookss etc and thats about it and we live 8-10 miles from nearest pub and shop.[/QUO

Same here, I am bored all the time, I dont much of tv, and internet has become boring for me too, what can I do?:smile:
OhNO!
Free from what? You're still living off the state.

Free from restrictions... to move around wherever I want, free to modify my home.. move in, move out. I may live off the state (dont we all?) but nobody has any say in anything I do, apart from me.
Reply 37
EarlHickey
My parents can do a meal for 2-4 people for a quid, but thats normally stuff like mince, packet mash, mixed veg etc with something like jelly for pudding.

Or home made soup or a tin of cheap soup with scraps of meat and veg chucked in etc.

Wow, I would love to live with your family for a week, it would be a life skills, cheers dude. Im I invited then:biggrin:
Reply 38
LOV3R

I said I knew how, not that I'd be able to :wink:
Reply 39
LOV3R

Same here, I am bored all the time, I dont much of tv, and internet has become boring for me too, what can I do?:smile:

well I am off home tommorow back to my big tv and dvds and games and I will buy a take away tommorow lol.

Not much I can suggest really.

Latest

Trending

Trending