The Student Room Group

Norethisterone...help, please! +rep

I started taking Norethisterone for the first time on the 24th because I'm visiting my bf this week.

I got my last period on the 28th, and you have to take it 3 days in advance so I started on the 24th and planned on finishing on the 31st.

However, I've been experiencing CRAZY hair-loss because of it. It's coming out everywhere and I don't really fancy losing all my hair, so I was thinking of stopping.

My question is, if I stop taking it now, will it delay my period by a few days anyway? It would normally come tomorrow.

And also, how long will it take for my hair to stop falling out?! :frown:

Thanks so much. This really stinks.
Reply 1
I'm not sure if it will delay it. They tend to say keep taking it til you want it to arrive and it will start a couple of days.
I've taken it before and I think that it arrived pretty much within a day... sorry :/

The hair loss I know nothing about! Is that one of the side effects listed? Maybe you should ring NHS direct and see what they say. Stop taking it though! I'm sure your boyfriend will understand.
Reply 2
I've never had hair loss associated with it, but when I've used it it's taken me a few days until my period came. It might help delaying, though. Call NHS Direct now, and consult the leaflet that came with it to see if hair loss is a side effect (I don't think it is, though all I remember is 'black hairy tongue' is a possible side-effect)
when i've taken it it came within 2-4 days after I stopped taking it
You're having quite a severe reaction and, as others have said, need to contact NHS direct.
I'm sure your BF will understand
When I used it it usually took 3 days i think.
Please don't use this regularly to delay your periods. If you want to do that use microgynon. I used norithristrone for about 5 years (once or twice a year). Not only did I have very painful periods afterwards but the other ones became very heavy and irregular forcing me to go on the pill to regulate my hormones:-(
Reply 5
Googling norethisterone side effects, hair loss is listed as one of them, when are you visiting your bf? I have taken it in the past but I cant really remember how long after I stopped my period came. I would probably stop taking it esp if your losing lots of hair!
Im sure your bf would understand and you maybe wont come on untill after youve seen him!x

Latest