The Student Room Group
Reply 1
id say its surrounded by italy, or on the italian peninsula, dont say its inside italy.
Reply 2
The technical term is "enclave": San Marino is an enclave within Italy.

I'm not sure if I get the circle and dot analogy...
Reply 3
Ok ok...my doughnut one is better :smile:.
A jam doughnut:
The jam is in the doughnut - you wouldn't really say that the doughnut surrounds the jam.
I know that they are different things, but what I'm trying to argue is that saying that San Marino is in Italy isn't completely wrong. It's not the same as saying Rome is in Italy - it's a different meaning of the word in.
Reply 4
it is completely wrong though
Chloeee02
Ok ok...my doughnut one is better :smile:.
A jam doughnut:
The jam is in the doughnut - you wouldn't really say that the doughnut surrounds the jam.
I know that they are different things, but what I'm trying to argue is that saying that San Marino is in Italy isn't completely wrong. It's not the same as saying Rome is in Italy - it's a different meaning of the word in.

I think it's fair to say that we can all see what you're getting at, but following the usual use of the word "in" with reference to a country, San Marino is not "in" Italy. Regardless of how you might try to apply an analogy, it doesn't alter the usual interpretation of the word in this context, I'm afraid.
Reply 6
The San Marino grand prix was in Italy though. Do they still have a san marino grand prix?

Latest

Trending

Trending