The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

amie
That sounds similar to my GCSE Media class. There were only 9 of us by the end of the course, and although 4 of us were predicted A*'s, only one of us actually got one! I ended up with a B (which I still don't understand and wish I'd had it remarked :mad: ) and the other two girls got A's. Everyone else got C's or D's.

I got a B too, but if I'd had it remarked they might have given me the D/E I actually deserved lol :redface:
Reply 41
kellywood_5
I got a B too, but if I'd had it remarked they might have given me the D/E I actually deserved lol :redface:

No way, I bet you didn't deserve a D/E! Although now I think back to how much work I actually did for media, perhaps I didn't really deserve that B either! :redface: :biggrin:
amie
No way, I bet you didn't deserve a D/E! Although now I think back to how much work I actually did for media, perhaps I didn't really deserve that B either! :redface: :biggrin:

I actually did work for it, that's the depressing thing! Although after getting an E in the mock, I kind of thought 'what's the point' and gave up for a while. Thank God for coursework!
Reply 43
kellywood_5
I actually did work for it, that's the depressing thing! Although after getting an E in the mock, I kind of thought 'what's the point' and gave up for a while. Thank God for coursework!

Lol, my coursework was terrible! I'm just rubbish at coursework in general (except for Psychology, for some reason). I don't think I can sustain the effort for a period of time longer than the 2 or 3 hours needed in an exam :redface:
I was wondering earlier, how is A-Level Poltics regarded by universities? :confused:

Michael
Reply 45
saiyamana
yea its great! are you doing Psychology?

i dont know much about schizophrenia, only really the study by Rosenhan to show the problems of mental institutions. We mainly do comparative psychology, which looks at animal and human behaviour, but all aspects of psychology are interesting!

Although it's a shame that most of the smartest people dont take up this subject, it provides loads of great skills which can be transferred to the workplace, and helps to create good social skills! Some people on TSR need to take psychology IMO to mention no names..........

As the smartest peeps dont take the subject that's why it is regarded as relatively easy comparing to Maths for example. The grade boundaries for psychology across exam bodies is well low because some of the candidates bring down the grade boundary so much. If more smarter people did psychology, it may gain greater respect from universities and the average joe walking the streets.

e.g Psychology AQA A - to get an A you need about 65%-70%
I got rejected from Warwick Uni because I did AS Sport Studies which I gave up. However I dont believe the discrimination is wrong as such but I do believe it was unduely harsh in my case. The standard offer only requires a pass at AS, it wasnt even the case that they gave me an offer which required a high grade in it which would be more challenging and valuable than scraping a pass in another more highly regarded subject
Reply 47
I was having a huge debate with a friend about art A Level. Last year 27 people got an A in my school, and 2 people got a B with no results lower than a B. Compared to other subjects that get lower results, Art seems easier but it could acctually be that the people doing art are actually very good at it..

Art may come accross as a doss, but even at GCSE at my school it's LOADS of work... at A Level, if you work extremely hard (which most people who do art do) and follow the advice of the teacher then you're bound to get a good grade...

Completely changing the subject, but Law isn't respected by many universities because it's so simplistic - the universities have to make you forget it all and lots of people who have the AS/A2 come to university thinking that they know lots already. Same with phsychology (sp!), which is why most private schools don't offer those kind of subjects because they think that they hinder their students chances at university...
Starsailor
I was wondering earlier, how is A-Level Poltics regarded by universities? :confused:

Michael

It's kind of in the middle, I think; not as respected as the traditional subjects, but not ridiculed as much as, to name the most discussed mickey mouse subject, media studies. If it's relevant to what you want to study and/or you'll enjoy it, take it.
nas7232
As the smartest peeps dont take the subject that's why it is regarded as relatively easy comparing to Maths for example. The grade boundaries for psychology across exam bodies is well low because some of the candidates bring down the grade boundary so much. If more smarter people did psychology, it may gain greater respect from universities and the average joe walking the streets.

e.g Psychology AQA A - to get an A you need about 65%-70%

:biggrin: i cant complain there (even though i take OCR psychology)

Both ends of the spectrum are affecting psychology somewhat, the smartest people who see it as too easy, the not so smart people who think it's an easy subject...
heninacoop
Art may come accross as a doss, but even at GCSE at my school it's LOADS of work... at A Level, if you work extremely hard (which most people who do art do) and follow the advice of the teacher then you're bound to get a good grade...

Completely changing the subject, but Law isn't respected by many universities because it's so simplistic - the universities have to make you forget it all and lots of people who have the AS/A2 come to university thinking that they know lots already. Same with phsychology (sp!), which is why most private schools don't offer those kind of subjects because they think that they hinder their students chances at university...

I can follow the logic of that argument, but surely the A2 syllabus which involves morals, ethics and justice perspectives are valuable - and the rest is just learning facts! According to my law teacher, most law degrees fail to give you the wider picture as they're primarily concentrated at preparing people to learn to practice the law as oppose to becoming legal academics - the issues studied in A2 law would be a valuable starting point for a legal academic, surely. On t'other hand I may very well be wrong; I only know what I think of it and what my teacher's told me.

In any case, I'm wondering more whether law is regarded as a decent essay subject. I have absolutely no intention of applying to study law at university, lol - I want to study English, History and a bit of French literature. So is law just generally seen as a doss, or seen as a drawback by some universities if you want to study it as a degree, or is it a bit of both?
Reply 51
Economist
I got rejected from Warwick Uni because I did AS Sport Studies which I gave up. However I dont believe the discrimination is wrong as such but I do believe it was unduely harsh in my case. The standard offer only requires a pass at AS, it wasnt even the case that they gave me an offer which required a high grade in it which would be more challenging and valuable than scraping a pass in another more highly regarded subject

A few questions as I am pondering over a similar situation:

Which degree did you apply for?

Which A-levels did you take?

What grades did you get?

I am asking this as I don't know whether Maths, Further Maths, Business, ICT and AS Sociology will get me in - even at AAAAa.
Reply 52
What do people think of Health and Social Care? I'm predicted A for my AS and I'm doing the double award next year, hopefully leading to AA with a B or C in French and a C in Biology and AS passes on Geography (C) and Chemistry (this one is bad... a D or E). Do you think that would be a respected crop of results?
R.J.A
I am asking this as I don't know whether Maths, Further Maths, Business, ICT and AS Sociology will get me in - even at AAAAa.

Are you sure you want to do 5 subjects? That's a lot of work, although I guess since 2 of them are so similar (maths and further maths) it might be all right. As for whether you'd get in, I guess that depends on what you're thinking of applying for and where. Usually, since offers are based on 3 A-levels, it won't matter that much if one of them is less respected, but some universities don't accept maths and further maths as 2 separate subjects.
twiga
What do people think of Health and Social Care? I'm predicted A for my AS and I'm doing the double award next year, hopefully leading to AA with a B or C in French and a C in Biology and AS passes on Geography (C) and Chemistry (this one is bad... a D or E). Do you think that would be a respected crop of results?

I don't think doing Health and Social Care would affect your application unless the universities you apply to don't accept AVCEs, and I think most do. The grades are pretty good too. The only thing they might ask you about is why you did A-levels over 3 years instead of 2, so it would be good to have an answer to that ready.
Reply 55
kellywood_5
Are you sure you want to do 5 subjects? That's a lot of work, although I guess since 2 of them are so similar (maths and further maths) it might be all right. As for whether you'd get in, I guess that depends on what you're thinking of applying for and where. Usually, since offers are based on 3 A-levels, it won't matter that much if one of them is less respected, but some universities don't accept maths and further maths as 2 separate subjects.

ATM I am hoping to go to Warwick like Economist was. And if he got rejected I just wanted to know what A-levels he was doing. I hate people badmouthing Business and ICT as 'mickey mouse subjects' as they are the ones most people will actually use in life!

BTW the 5 a-levels shouldn't be too much work, as we don't get much lesson time for Sociology - there isn't that much to teach is there??
R.J.A
ATM I am hoping to go to Warwick like Economist was. And if he got rejected I just wanted to know what A-levels he was doing. I hate people badmouthing Business and ICT as 'mickey mouse subjects' as they are the ones most people will actually use in life!

BTW the 5 a-levels shouldn't be too much work, as we don't get much lesson time for Sociology - there isn't that much to teach is there??

I don't think Warwick is too snobby. LSE is the worst. Also, just because one person got rejected with similar subjects to the ones you're hoping to study, it doesn't mean the subjects were the reason for their rejection.

:eek: Sociology is on a par with history in terms of the amount of content there is to learn, and in case you don't do history, that's a hell of a lot!
Reply 57
kellywood_5
I don't think doing Health and Social Care would affect your application unless the universities you apply to don't accept AVCEs, and I think most do. The grades are pretty good too. The only thing they might ask you about is why you did A-levels over 3 years instead of 2, so it would be good to have an answer to that ready.

I found a subject I could do and thought I'd carry it on - I was going to have a gap year anyway so it made sense to do something constructive with it - like gain myself 2 more A2s :smile:
twiga
I found a subject I could do and thought I'd carry it on - I was going to have a gap year anyway so it made sense to do something constructive with it - like gain myself 2 more A2s :smile:

Didn't you apply for radiography deferred entry this year? How did that go?
*Bethany*
In any case, I'm wondering more whether law is regarded as a decent essay subject. I have absolutely no intention of applying to study law at university, lol - I want to study English, History and a bit of French literature. So is law just generally seen as a doss, or seen as a drawback by some universities if you want to study it as a degree, or is it a bit of both?

I'm sure you'll be fine :smile: Even if law isn't as respected as traditional subjects, it's definitely not in the same league as media studies etc, and having one slightly less respected subject shouldn't do you any harm. At least I hope not, since I'm in the same position with sociology!

Latest