The Student Room Group

Strengths and Weaknesses of Cue-Dependant Forgetting Theory

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Trace decay is basically the decay of the 'route' to reach encoding over time. Occurs mainly in the STM

Its self explainitory :smile:
Reply 21
I know lmao, I'm a hopeless case. Luckily we're not looking at memory yet, I need to do a lot more reading up!

Really, the essays follow that standard plan. Just make sure you go in knowing the theory inside out, and with a very critical head on.

edit: Lovely avatar. :cry: I'm still so shocked.
Reply 22
Ok, I'll write that down somwhere are remember it. You are an actual life saver

I really do hate A levels; memory test and jumping through hoops. Thats it.
Reply 23
Another Theory = Trace Decay Theory (Hebb, 1945?), Interference Theory (Can't remember who) or Displacement Theory (Again, can't remember who; think it was Peterson and Peterson)

Strengths:
- Wealth of supporting evidence.
- Explains everyday phenomenon e.g. tip of the tongue (Brown, 1999) which therefore means the theory is relevant to our understanding of everyday life and therefore is useful as a phenomenological theory (study of everyday life).
- iortant practical applications e.g. line ups, being taken back to scene of crime and photo identification all useful for identifying perpetrators of crimes.

Weaknesses
- Only really explains forgetting in long term memory.
- Not a complete explanation e.g. some memories don't need cues (e.g. flashbulb memories), happy memories better remembered than sad ones etc.

If you need any more help in Psychology feel free to PM me.
Reply 24
skotch
Another Theory = Trace Decay Theory (Hebb, 1945?), Interference Theory (Can't remember who) or Displacement Theory (Again, can't remember who; think it was Peterson and Peterson)

Strengths:
- Wealth of supporting evidence.
- Explains everyday phenomenon e.g. tip of the tongue (Brown, 1999) which therefore means the theory is relevant to our understanding of everyday life and therefore is useful as a phenomenological theory (study of everyday life).
- iortant practical applications e.g. line ups, being taken back to scene of crime and photo identification all useful for identifying perpetrators of crimes.

Weaknesses
- Only really explains forgetting in long term memory.
- Not a complete explanation e.g. some memories don't need cues (e.g. flashbulb memories), happy memories better remembered than sad ones etc.

If you need any more help in Psychology feel free to PM me.

Ah, someone with the theories still fresh in the mind. The main theory I think is the one supported by the divers' study, the one OP is looking at primarily.

I knew it was Peterson and Peterson, something to do with 5-7-9? How much one can store in memory?
Reply 25
aliluvschoc
Lovely avatar. :cry: I'm still so shocked.

Same :cry:, I was suprised I could find a nice pic with allowed pixel size for avatars

Also, thank you skotch :h:
Reply 26
skotch

Perfect, can link to EWT (the key issue)
Reply 27
Loz17

And that's the Loftus stuff isn't it?
Reply 28
aliluvschoc
Ah, someone with the theories still fresh in the mind. The main theory I think is the one supported by the divers' study, the one OP is looking at primarily.

I knew it was Peterson and Peterson, something to do with 5-7-9? How much one can store in memory?

The strengths and weaknesses that I wrote were for Cue Dependency Theory. (Godden and Baddeley is the divers study which is the main study of Cue Dependency and I believe G and B also came up with the theory)

5-7-9 isn't that Murdoch's Magic Number (7 +/- 2)?

Ah just remembered... I think this is right. I may be totally mixed up.
Peterson and Peterson did the experiment where they tested people's recall before and after they had been to sleep in one condition and the same amount of time after w/o being asleep. It was found that those that had gone to sleep had better recall (sleep reduced the impact of interference - therefore they remembered more).
Reply 29
Loz17

yup! I guess you're doing Edexcel, then?
Reply 30
aliluvschoc
And that's the Loftus stuff isn't it?

skotch
yup! I guess you're doing Edexcel, then?

:yep:
Reply 31
:woo: sorted, good luck.

I was on AQA, so just double check the mark-scheme to make sure they're looking for the same AO1(describe)/AO2(evaluate) balance. (Generally more evaluating than describing is preferred.)
Reply 32
AQA looked like a bitch. Toby was on AQA too and he struggled with it. It wasn't the content, it was the exams.
I know a weakness which is that the theory lacks ecological validity. Most studies investigating this theory are conducted in controlled laboratories, in real life we are not going to be given cues whenever we need them to remember something. Also in real life situations may feel more urgent than an experiment which may also affect the results as when we feel stressed we may not pick up on some cues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending