The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

iwilson03
Yes but if the Islamic Republic is threatened then you can be pretty sure that people will rally behind it. They may not like their current leader but they are still fanatical about their theocracy and its supreme religious leaders.

Iran is a supposed Islamic republic, but it is a Shi'ite nation. There are no other Shi'ite nations which spring to mind. Sure they might get a bit of help from a few Shi'ite militants but that's about it.

We're not exactly talking about an Islamic Caliphate here. :rolleyes:

iwilson03
But, as this is all academic and hypothetical, what if Iran refused to sign a surrender treaty?

Then Israel would launch a nuclear missile on Shiraz or any other Iranian city until they surrender. Again, you're being absurd. Of course they'll surrender. Even the Japanese surrendered and they 'never surrender'.
RamocitoMorales
I don't think it's fun either. I never said it was fun. But if my mother was getting dragged by her hair across the street, I would go and defend her. But it doesn't mean that defending her will be fun. There is more to life than fun.

When did I say otherwise? I already know that Israel is way ahead of Iran. I already said that most of Iran's weaponry and arsenal are old communist weapons and machines. I already said that they wouldn't stand much of a chance against modern weaponry.

sorry for the confusion, i didn't specifically say that it's you. i just wrote the two paragraphs together for convenience. i thought i specified that...

in your situation where supposedly my mother is getting dragged by somebody (wtf ??) .. yes i would go and fight for it. i guess i just wanted to point out the fact that it's easy said than done. my apologies for misunderstanding what you said above.
Reply 82
I don't even care if they go to war. Its none of our business.
SilentOrchestra
They wont join because they like Iran but because they hate Isreal.

I don't think so, not to the extent that Israel needs to nuke them! Some Palestinians may take the time to up the attacks on Israel but the Israelis will simply need to fend these off. I really could not see these countries allying with Iran and following them to their fate.
RamocitoMorales
I don't mean to be racist, but that's the trouble with you Arabs. You surrender too easily.

They say every Turk is born a warrior and I think it's true. If Turkey ever got into a war which threatened the nation I would pack my bags to defend it until my last breath.

Please, don't let any of us stop you right now.
FifthQuarter
i don't think people will allow it. would you be happy when your family is getting bombed up every day and night...because your incompetent government is being too stubborn to surrender? i sense rioting and defection.

Surely they can hide away and engage in guerilla warfare? Thats what the VietCong did and they were being bombed pretty heavily...
CombineHarvester
Israel would gain advantage very quickly, but win? That's infinitely more difficult, just look at the wars we're currently in and the Vietnam war.

How about the six days war? 3 enemies and still victorious
Reply 87
iwilson03
Ok, but like I said why would Israel need to take out every nation in the region with nukes?
Your right. They wouldn't. As I wrote wrote earlier Iran would be diplomatically isolated. Syria would publicly support Iran, Iraq would too likely but only diplomatically not militarily. The rest of the Mid. East. would sit on the fence (viewing Iran as a rival) against their populaces wishes. Hezbollah would would be the only force to conceivably launch an attack (Lebanon is too close for a Nuke strike). This is based on the premise that Israel launches a pre-emitive non-nuclear air strike. Which would in any case only slow Iran's Nuclear ambitions. Not stop it.

However if Israel launches a pre-emptive Nuclear strike that would be utter madness and I don't think anyone could reasonably predict the consequences. I don't think this is very likely imo.
ivantheterrible
Please, don't let any of us stop you right now.

LOLOL jesus, that was quite funny. i hope he isn't too offended by it...
iwilson03
Surely they can hide away and engage in guerilla warfare? Thats what the VietCong did and they were being bombed pretty heavily...

It's a different terrain, completely different. Vietnam is a jungle environment where Guerrilla warfare is much easier. Iran is a semi-desert which suits the heavy machines of the Americans, as we saw in Iraq.
RamocitoMorales
Iran is a supposed Islamic republic, but it is a Shi'ite nation. There are no other Shi'ite nations which spring to mind. Sure they might get a bit of help from a few Shi'ite militants but that's about it.

We're not exactly talking about an Islamic Caliphate here. :rolleyes:

Their own people will fight on as fanatics, just like they did in the Iran-Iraq war.

I don't see what this has to do with any Caliphate? I am talking about people defending their beloved homeland which they probably believe has the potential to be transformed into a great Islamic nation.

Then Israel would launch a nuclear missile on Shiraz or any other Iranian city until they surrender. Again, you're being absurd. Of course they'll surrender. Even the Japanese surrendered and they 'never surrender'.

I think to force them to surrender ground forces would be needed as well. Anyway like I said at the start I believe Israel would win, but it wouldn't occupy Iran or anything (at least not effectively).
iwilson03

yup. i forgot about that...i can see that happening..in fact....i guess Iraq and Afghanistan are the same..."insurgents."
Reply 92
RamocitoMorales
They say every Turk is born a warrior and I think it's true. If Turkey ever got into a war which threatened the nation I would pack my bags to defend it until my last breath.

That's because you're actually all Greeks who had the sense to change relgion when the people at the top changed... :wink:

Actually as an aside wasn't the Ottoman Court also infamous for it's in-fighting? Maybe it's just what happens when you occupy Constantinople or whatever you want to call it, the infighting comes with the territory so to speak. I'm pretty sure that's what ended the Latin occupation of Constantinople, too much back-stabbing to keep a hold of the place...
Reply 93
Following this war i hope the EU forces purges Turkey and then they might consider letting them into the EU.
RamocitoMorales
It's a different terrain, completely different. Vietnam is a jungle environment where Guerrilla warfare is much easier. Iran is a semi-desert which suits the heavy machines of the Americans, as we saw in Iraq.

Isn't the Iranian terrain similar to Afghan?
iwilson03
I don't see what this has to do with any Caliphate? I am talking about people defending their beloved homeland which they probably believe has the potential to be transformed into a great Islamic nation.

I doubt the people of Iran will even support their own country. They hate their government at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if they cheered in American forces, like they did in Iraq.

iwil03
I think to force them to surrender ground forces would be needed as well. Anyway like I said at the start I believe Israel would win, but it wouldn't occupy Iran or anything (at least not effectively).

I don't think Israel could occupy Iran either.

Stomm
Actually as an aside wasn't the Ottoman Court also infamous for it's in-fighting? Maybe it's just what happens when you occupy Constantinople or whatever you want to call it, the infighting comes with the territory so to speak. I'm pretty sure that's what ended the Latin occupation of Constantinople, too much back-stabbing to keep a hold of the place...

A little, during the First World War between the monarchy and the nationalists. But the country was always united by their patriotism. Which was evident when they fought against the odds and reclaimed Istanbul, Thrace and Asia Minor.

iwilson03

Yes and it will suit Israel and America. The only slight problem would be the mountains.
Saff123
Your right. They wouldn't. As I wrote wrote earlier Iran would be diplomatically isolated. Syria would publicly support Iran, Iraq would too likely but only diplomatically not militarily. The rest of the Mid. East. would sit on the fence (viewing Iran as a rival) against their populaces wishes. Hezbollah would would be the only force to conceivably launch an attack (Lebanon is too close for a Nuke strike). This is based on the premise that Israel launches a pre-emitive non-nuclear air strike. Which would in any case only slow Iran's Nuclear ambitions. Not stop it.

However if Israel launches a pre-emptive Nuclear strike that would be utter madness and I don't think anyone could reasonably predict the consequences. I don't think this is very likely imo.

I pretty much agree with all of the above. Man the middle east is so :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow: up.
FifthQuarter
LOLOL jesus, that was quite funny. i hope he isn't too offended by it...

:biggrin: My intention wasn't to offend. I think this guy is trolling. That or he is extremely ignorant of the things that he talks about. Either way, I don't feel the need to respect the opinions of someone who describes any war as 'entertainment.'

maybe oppressing kurds is 'entertaining'? :woo:
Reply 98
iwilson03

It varies between alpine forests and deserts.

How would they even get there unless they invaded Iraq (which is Shia and important to the US) to create a corridor. And then seizing terrain the size of Iran is neigh. impossible for such a small country. The US military is strained.
ivantheterrible
:biggrin: My intention wasn't to offend. I think this guy is trolling. That or he is extremely ignorant of the things that he talks about. Either way, I don't feel the need to respect the opinions of someone who describes any war as 'entertainment.'

How am I ignorant. I find war a lot more interesting than the economic crisis or the expenses scandal or something boring like that.

ivantheterrible
maybe oppressing kurds is 'entertaining'? :woo:

They want their own country which will take a large chunk of Turkey. They can't have it. They want to fight for it. Then let them come. They are nationalists. Then we will destroy their nationalism and integrate them into Turkish society.

Latest

Trending

Trending