The Student Room Group

Educational Psychology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi, I am aiming to apply for the 2012 entry- is anyone else?
I was wondering of the timescale, particularly with the funding council, I joined their mailing list but haven't heard anything yet. I am applying from overseas (I am doing a stint teaching in USA) so want to make sure I complete each section of the application process with enough time.
Thanks so much
Rachael
Original post by rachococo
Hi, I am aiming to apply for the 2012 entry- is anyone else?
I was wondering of the timescale, particularly with the funding council, I joined their mailing list but haven't heard anything yet. I am applying from overseas (I am doing a stint teaching in USA) so want to make sure I complete each section of the application process with enough time.
Thanks so much
Rachael

They aren't sure about what the funding arrangements are going to be for 2012 yet. You don't look into funding until you've got accepted anyway - I've applied twice and not looked into sorting out funding at all
Reply 42
Oh, I thought that you had to apply to the funding council when you applied for the doctorate....
Thanks for your response though, and good luck!
Reply 43
It seems there are many people wanting to become an Ed Psyc, I am currently undertaking an access to higher education course at college with the view to do Psychology degree. In my niavety I thought I could then go straight onto the Ed Psyc postgrad course and that I have 7-8 years hard study ahead, but it looks as though I may need to clock up more hours working with Children and young people after the Psychology degree while I wait to be accepted.

I was thinking the other day about the age I will be when qualified and how many work years I will have in my chosen profession, may need to deduct some from that but it is still plenty of time even though I am a mature student. :smile:

Been good to read other people's experiences and ambitions hope to see more as I progress through my own education
Original post by LondonDreamer
My two best friends at school are medics and have their careers all mapped out, which panics me a bit sometimes. Hence I find myself reading ahead a lot about what I might want to do.

Oh, that's really good! The assistant clinical psychologist positions only pay around the £15000 mark I believe. Although similarly, you get a grant for the course and your fees are paid.

don't panic! all you need to do is get good school results and get into a good university. perhaps to study psychology - which is what i did. then, well by then you'll have chatted to folk in your sixth form, and more folk at university, and that will help you decide what to do next.
yes, aim to become an educational psychologist. but keep your mind open. who knows you might get to the last year at university and suddenly decide you want to become a politician or something! or you might become a teacher on the way to becoming an educational psychologist and decide to remain teaching.
Original post by Saffie_11
Hello

I'm currently half way through doctoral training as an Ed Psyc and would be happy to answer any queries about the training if that's helpful? I can only speak for one course, however, but could try and give you a general overview about what it's like being a trainee Ed Psyc.

My background was a psychology undergrad degree then working as a TA in a school for 2 years. It does take a long time to qualify but hopefully it will all be worth it in the end!

:smile:

hi there. yeah, it'd be good to hear what you think of the course. the thing that holds me back from making the jump is that it's a doctorate. and from undergraduate psychology, well i'm not sure i want to get my head round experimental design and all that malarkey!
Reply 46
Original post by Redreynard
hi there. yeah, it'd be good to hear what you think of the course. the thing that holds me back from making the jump is that it's a doctorate. and from undergraduate psychology, well i'm not sure i want to get my head round experimental design and all that malarkey!

Well the entry route is changing http://www.cwdcouncil.org.uk/educational-psychology
It may be that the funding is changing for the course. It may be that the structure of it is changing also, but it only changed to a doctorate in the last few years
Reply 48
What relevant experience could I be looking to get during my undergraduate degree, for a good head start? I have TA and learning mentor experience from my gap year. But part time TA vacancies are too heavy to be able to fit in with my studies during term time.

Also, how would I go about looking for research assistant posts in the field of ed psych? either voluntary, during term time or over summer?

Any other tips on getting a good head start?

And to people currently accepted onto a doctorate - was it very difficult to get onto? is the application process really overwhelming? Did you ever feel like giving up? How many years of applying does it usually take to get on the doctorate?
Reply 49
Original post by danny.d
What relevant experience could I be looking to get during my undergraduate degree, for a good head start? I have TA and learning mentor experience from my gap year. But part time TA vacancies are too heavy to be able to fit in with my studies during term time.

Also, how would I go about looking for research assistant posts in the field of ed psych? either voluntary, during term time or over summer?

Any other tips on getting a good head start?

And to people currently accepted onto a doctorate - was it very difficult to get onto? is the application process really overwhelming? Did you ever feel like giving up? How many years of applying does it usually take to get on the doctorate?

Some ideas for relevant experience
http://www.indeed.co.uk/Educational-Psychology-Assistant-jobs
http://www.tes.co.uk/JobDetailsbronze.aspx?ac=3011123&qry=keywords%3dEducational+psychologist%26area%3djobs&cur=7&rslt=20&UK=true This looked good but not always available
http://www.autism.org.uk/working-with/job-vacancies.aspx
http://www.kidsco.org.uk/volunteer
http://www.theplace2be.org.uk/volunteer_counsellors.aspx?menuid=6
(edited 12 years ago)
- Volunteering in a special needs school/unit attached to a mainstream school
- Youth working
- Volunteering for charities for people with special needs (sometimes there are playschemes run for those sorts of children)
- For the research, see if you can volunteer for studies going on in your department

Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything :tongue: altho they will require FULL TIME work as experience most likely. But this is a good way to try and get those jobs.
Reply 51
It seems like the application process for entry into the 2012 cohort begins in January. It would be great to get in touch with others who are going to apply. I am hoping for a place at Manchester University.
Look forward to hear from others!
Reply 52
It has been really quiet on this forum, but I was wondering if anyone is planning on applying for the 2012 cohort, or could share their experience of the application process. I am planning on completing my personal statement this week, but not sure how many references of psychological background to education, detail etc.
Thanks so much!
It has been really quiet on this forum, but I was wondering if anyone is planning on applying for the 2012 cohort, or could share their experience of the application process. I am planning on completing my personal statement this week, but not sure how many references of psychological background to education, detail etc.
Thanks so much!

You need at least 2 references but can add more if you want. Out of interest, what experience do you have?
Reply 54
Hi, thanks for your post. I did a BSc(hons) Psychology, then did some voluntasry on childrens camps for disadvantaged and terminally ill children, I then did a PGCE Early Years, and a MSc Applied Psychology whilst supply teaching and being a Family Worker for Surestart part-time. Once I had graduated I began work as a RA in the Psychology department on a childrens language project testing children in schools one-on-one. After this I became a Teaching Assistant on the Undergraduate Psycholgy programme part-time and taught in a primary school . I also did some lecturing and worked as a Child Speech and Language Therapy Assistant. currently I am a Program Director of Psychology and Child Development at a college. I have worked with children in a number of roles and feel like the doctorate is a great next move in my career. BUT, I am very daunted by the competition!! I guess I will do my best and keep my fingers crossed, but any communication with others applying or who got a place would be much appreciated!!
Thanks!
Reply 55
Hi, thanks for your post. I did a BSc(hons) Psychology, then did some voluntasry on childrens camps for disadvantaged and terminally ill children, I then did a PGCE Early Years, and a MSc Applied Psychology whilst supply teaching and being a Family Worker for Surestart part-time. Once I had graduated I began work as a RA in the Psychology department on a childrens language project testing children in schools one-on-one. After this I became a Teaching Assistant on the Undergraduate Psycholgy programme part-time and taught in a primary school . I also did some lecturing and worked as a Child Speech and Language Therapy Assistant. currently I am a Program Director of Psychology and Child Development at a college. I have worked with children in a number of roles and feel like the doctorate is a great next move in my career. BUT, I am very daunted by the competition!! I guess I will do my best and keep my fingers crossed, but any communication with others applying or who got a place would be much appreciated!!
Thanks!

Your experience sounds amazing ; you have xperience of working with children in education and direct relevence to work that eps do. If I may ask how long has it taken you to reach this point from undergraduate? What universited have you applied to? How hard was it to find relevant roles?

Good luck with your application.
Reply 56
Hey guys,

I'm also going to be applying for the ed psych doctorate this year. I've just received all my references and completed my personal statement. I'm a little concerned that it may be lacking psychological theory though, and not too sure what to add still. Any thoughts? Also what uni's are people applying to?

Reply 57
Original post by sabina579
Hey guys,

I'm also going to be applying for the ed psych doctorate this year. I've just received all my references and completed my personal statement. I'm a little concerned that it may be lacking psychological theory though, and not too sure what to add still. Any thoughts? Also what uni's are people applying to?

Ask/PM Interrobang and Rahococo, they have been though/going through the process.
Original post by sabina579
Hey guys,

Mine hasn't included much theory in the past - I've been too busy explaining what I've seen in my experiences. It may be (one of the) reasons I haven't been accepted, I don't know.
Reply 59
Since undergraduate it has taken me 12 years, I had a baby somewhere in the mix too, otherwise I think I would have applied sooner. I will be applying to Manchester only. My references are through, just finalising my personal statement in the next few days and keeping my fingers crossed!!
Good luck to all other applicants!!!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest