The Student Room Group

Educational Psychology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hello all,

Sorry to drag this post up, but I need some advice on this topic.
I'm going into my last year of my undergraduate degree in October. It's a Primary Education Studies degree (essentially a QTS teaching course, with no teaching) and I don't really know what I want to do when I am finished. I know that I want to work with children, particularly those with special needs, so I have arranged for a placement in a SEN school for this year.

I have toyed with the idea of becoming an educational psychologist, so I was just wondering what I would have to do to become one, considering I won't have a Psychology degree? I have a Psychology A level, but obviously that isn't enough.

Thanks for everyone's help in advance :smile:
Original post by catman123
Hello all,

Sorry to drag this post up, but I need some advice on this topic.
I'm going into my last year of my undergraduate degree in October. It's a Primary Education Studies degree (essentially a QTS teaching course, with no teaching) and I don't really know what I want to do when I am finished. I know that I want to work with children, particularly those with special needs, so I have arranged for a placement in a SEN school for this year.

I have toyed with the idea of becoming an educational psychologist, so I was just wondering what I would have to do to become one, considering I won't have a Psychology degree? I have a Psychology A level, but obviously that isn't enough.

Thanks for everyone's help in advance :smile:

You would need to do a psychology conversion course, plus get relevant SEN experience in order to be accepted onto the doctorate
Reply 82
Original post by The Pale Dreamer
You would need to do a psychology conversion course, plus get relevant SEN experience in order to be accepted onto the doctorate

Thank you.

I don't want to go straight onto the doctorate... I want to work for a couple of years in relevant places to get as much experience as possible.

How long does the conversion course take? Do a lot of universities do the course or just a select few?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by catman123
Thank you.

I don't want to go straight onto the doctorate... I want to work for a couple of years in relevant places to get as much experience as possible.

How long does the conversion course take? Do a lot of universities do the course or just a select few?

You need experience to get accepted onto the doctorate anyway. The BPS website has a list of the unis that do the conversion course
You need experience to get accepted onto the doctorate anyway. The BPS website has a list of the unis that do the conversion course

Thank you :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 85
Does it matter when your experiecne with children is, if i am working as a nursery assistant and volunterring in primary school for the two years before i start my undergraduate degree then will this experience count.
Original post by xxlissaxx
Does it matter when your experiecne with children is, if i am working as a nursery assistant and volunterring in primary school for the two years before i start my undergraduate degree then will this experience count.

It's most likely that they will want recent (post-graduation) experience, but pre-degree experience wouldn't hurt
Reply 87

Also am i right in thinking that you can do A joint degree as long as it is BPS accredited? I want to do early childhood studies and psychology at CCCU and it is on the BPS accredited website.
Revisiting this thread, I'm now im my 3rd year doing an undergrad psych degree. I really want to finish with a 2:1 or above, work in education for a couple of years then attempt to get onto the doctorate, but I'm terrified I won't get a 2:1, as despite getting a high 2:1 in the first year I just missed out in second year.
Can you get on with a 2:1 even though it is so competitive?

Also what do other people plan to do if they don't get onto the doctorate? I toyed with the idea of a teacher, but did work exp in a primary school and found the actual teachers a bit 'wishy washy', im not sure if I want to work in that environment? But with my psych degree I'm not sure there is a secondary subject I could teach. Curious as to what other peoples plans were?
Original post by littleme123
Revisiting this thread, I'm now im my 3rd year doing an undergrad psych degree. I really want to finish with a 2:1 or above, work in education for a couple of years then attempt to get onto the doctorate, but I'm terrified I won't get a 2:1, as despite getting a high 2:1 in the first year I just missed out in second year.
Can you get on with a 2:1 even though it is so competitive?

Also what do other people plan to do if they don't get onto the doctorate? I toyed with the idea of a teacher, but did work exp in a primary school and found the actual teachers a bit 'wishy washy', im not sure if I want to work in that environment? But with my psych degree I'm not sure there is a secondary subject I could teach. Curious as to what other peoples plans were?

Do you mean can you get on with a 2:2? Generally most people with a 2:2 will need a masters to get on
Do you mean can you get on with a 2:2? Generally most people with a 2:2 will need a masters to get on

No I know it's not worth thinking about with a 2:2, but as its so competitive is is hard with a 2:1 or is a 2:1 equally as good with good work experience? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by littleme123
No I know it's not worth thinking about with a 2:2, but as its so competitive is is hard with a 2:1 or is a 2:1 equally as good with good work experience? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need work experience anyway to get onto the course. It is certainly possible with a 2:1
Also am i right in thinking that you can do A joint degree as long as it is BPS accredited? I want to do early childhood studies and psychology at CCCU and it is on the BPS accredited website.

This is quite a late reply but yes, you must have a BPS accredited psychology degree to move onto the doctorate course. Many combined honours courses are BPS accredited, but do make sure your course in particular is so you don't have to do a conversion course afterwards!
Hi Saffie,

I hope you don't mind me emailing you, but, I hoped I could get some advice regarding the application for the doctorate in educational psychology. I am currently 31 and a teacher and have been waiting a very long time to apply, so I really want to complete the application form as best as possible. I wanted to know what psychological theories I should mention and how I can best show that I apply psychology in teaching.
Thanks
Mairead
Hi Fitzy Ditzy,

I hope you don't mind me emailing you, but, I hoped I could get some advice regarding the application for the doctorate in educational psychology. I am currently 31 and a teacher and have been waiting a very long time to apply, so I really want to complete the application form as best as possible. I wanted to know what psychological theories I should mention and how I can best show that I apply psychology in teaching, also what current literature is important and could you recommend any interesting reading?

Thanks
Mairead

Original post by EP2be
Hi Rachococo,

I have just been accepted onto the EP Doctorate, will be starting in Sept 2011. Happy to answer any questions re application, interview process. Also I have been working with EP as Psych Research Assistant in a Local Authority EP service so I have some current knowledge and perspective on Educational Psychology, although probably not as much as someone who is already on the course!

You sound like you have lots of great experience, be mindfull that selectors are looking for people who have applied relevant psychology during their relevant work experience and can draw upon their experience to inform their practice as a trainee EP. They are also looking for evidence of keeping up to date with the field by reading relevant research papers and literature as well as an understanding Educational Psychology as a profession and the current issue within the field.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Fitzy Ditzy

p.s. also wannabe EP's and trainee EP's have been given forum space on ClinPsych which is a forum for clinical psych, mainly aspiring ones. There are Ed Psych threads under the section titled Psychology degrees, conversions and postdrad qualifications.
Original post by maireadmurphy
Hi Fitzy Ditzy,

I hope you don't mind me emailing you, but, I hoped I could get some advice regarding the application for the doctorate in educational psychology. I am currently 31 and a teacher and have been waiting a very long time to apply, so I really want to complete the application form as best as possible. I wanted to know what psychological theories I should mention and how I can best show that I apply psychology in teaching, also what current literature is important and could you recommend any interesting reading?

Thanks
Mairead

There's no set theory to talk about, but it would be good to talk about ones you've applied in your current role. For current reading it would be good to talk about things like the Education and Health Care plans and the new draft SEN code of practice
As a practising EP my advice would be to include reference to theories that you have found useful in your work, drawing together theory and practice. There are some 'hot topics' in EP land, such as mindfulness and Bronfenbrenner seems to be key to many of the developments in LAs recently. I'd also advice staying up to speed with the revision of the Code of Practice for SEN and the rollout of the new Education Health and Care Plans (the CDC website gives a useful overview and links to documents). Don't panic if you don't know much about there yet - we are all trying to get our heads around them!
Dear Fitzyditzy,

I applied to the Doctorate programme in Educational Psychology for 2014 cohort and have been invited for interview at University of Southampton. I am delighted but also want to be well prepared for the interview. I am now reading "The Psychologist" and the Department for Education website regularly but I don't know what else I could do to prepare for it.
Do you have any tips to share to have a successful interview?
Different unis will have different structures and it's unfair to give some candidates a head start on what to expect. I found the questions on the clinical psychology forum (not on here, Google it) helpful to think about when preparing
Reply 99
Sorry to dredge this up a gain, but I've hit a bit of a solid wall. I've viewed my options and have decided to pursue a career in educational psychology, but am a bit confused as to where I should go from here. I am 30, have gained an Honours in psychology and an MSc diploma in psychiatry. I am a graduate member of the BPS, so they are recognised as accredited qualifications. I have 2+ years experience as an SEN TA; as well as experience as a youth counselor working with children aged 10 -16. I have worked at Victim Support, and a currently a mental health transcriber for a private practice youth counselor.

My question is: where do I go from here? I don't have the funds to study my doctorate at the moment and am looking to establish a career before I study it part-time. Should I find a job as an assistant educational psychologist, but where do I go to find these sort of vacancies? Also would an EP ever work with or in CAMHS?

Thanks,
Nicole

Quick Reply

Latest