The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Things you wish you knew before coming to SOAS ..

1. The admin is REALLY really REALLY bad. Get with it and be prepared to do a lot of running around trying to sort stuff about.

2. Enrollment this year was VERY hectic, they usually give you a time to come in and get enrolled but no one really listens. Best thing to do is wake up EARLY and come around 15 minutes or so earlier than the first enrollments of the day. Be prepared for a LONG line. Bring drinks and food, it helps. During enrollment, they check your ID, make sure you have all the stuff needed and give you some sheets, the most important one is usually the Course Registration Sheet. It should have some units already printed off on it, such as the CORE and COMPULSORY courses. If you have clear space, check out your course handbook and pick some courses from your list. Fill in the box and take it to your faculty (or faculties if you do more than one subject which are at different faculties). Make sure you get stamped. Make sure they have your details correctly.

3. The library card business is very efficient and quick. They take your photo SUPER fast on a webcam and you don't even realize. So go in with a straight face, or you'd be stuck with a very groggy picture for 3 or 4 years.

4. Speaking of libraries, you will / should spend A LOT of time there. Best places to find seats are probably C. B has some seats but the group tables usually don't have any plugpoints around for you laptop backpackers. Don't go to F, specially if you have a friend. You will probably not get any work done. If you want some serious work, try and grab a seat at the Main Reading Room. Though this might get depressing as EVERYONE seems to be working and looking like they know exactly what they are doing.

5. Do NOT leave your stuff unattended. I found out the hard way but even if EVERYONE leaves their stuff, DONT. Use laptop locks, entrust people around you, carry it with you. DO NO LEAVE IT UNATTENDED. Things get stolen, even at SOAS. I've learnt the hard way and found out that unfortunately so have quite a few people.

6. Speaking of libraries, you should probably check out Senate House. Its like 2 minutes from SOAS if you use the shortcut next to Brunei Gallery. Awesome big place to work at, has plenty of desk space and less possibility of bumping into people you know and therefore ending up not doing your work. Senate House Common Room also has the BEST coffee / hot choc / tea machine ever. FACT.

7. When you first get to SOAS, make sure to follow the instructions and email Peter Baran for a locker. The sooner you do this, the better chance there is of getting a good allocation or hell even getting an allocation. Lockers are free and awesome to store the disgusting amount of books you probably need / will use as well as food for library snacking!

8. When you get your timetable, check it properly. Rooms beginning with V so V111 are in Vernon while the same applies for KLT / BG. BUT if it says 30 Russell Sq, its actually referring to the building outside SOAS which belongs to Birbeck.

9. In the main college building, the girls toilets on the second floor are the best. The ground floor one is always busy / not very well kept. Also, the toilets near Stairway 4 or 5 .. or erm a stairway (not the main one) on level 3 have a hole in the ground style indian toilets. Good to know, good to avoid as the toilets always stink!

10. You are not a true SOASian till you've had some Hare Krishna food. Love it or hate it, try it! But make sure you get there early as the food runs out very quickly. Also expect a huge line.

11. Buy study packs early from the Brunei Gallery before they run out. I personally haven't used them so far / found them very helpful but erm if you want them, get them soon!

12. Freshers week is the best time to grab onto student discounts as offered by Waterstones (around 15% or something?). This expires after about the first 2 weeks (i.e after Freshers Fortnight).

13. Do go to the Department Welcomes. FREE FOOD .. and you get to chill out a bit with future classmates / lecturers / etc. Morning welcomes might be tempting to miss but they have the best croissants and other bakeries that I've ever had. EVER. Plus TEA :grin:

14. Speaking of timetables, you will most probably get one or two CRAZY tutorial allocations. Some unfortunate people will have back to back lectures .. at TWO campuses. So 9 - 11 at Russell, 11 - 1 at Vernon. Feel for you, it takes 20 minutes ish to walk from one campus to another so leave 10 minutes before one ends and you should get to the other one only 10 minutes late! Some have lectures at the SAME time but this can't be helped / moved around. Tutorials however have many slots. You will be allocated into one slot out of many. Make sure you have plenty of time and check out the campus for each. If there are any problems email the faculty admin responsible ASAP.

15. Hot tea / coffee + going out in the smoking area = FUN. The cold and the hot totally wakes you up. Sort of.

16. The SU Bar does nice tea for 50 p. Much better tasting that the ones at the SU (?) food shops where you use paper cups! Also check out the pastries / somosas(?) they offer, they are so nice!

17. Check out the JCR / SU on Fridays as this is when they are the most live.

18. Library books can be renewed online, so don't be an idiot (like me) and carry them all in to renew them on the library machines.

19. Some important bits I wish I knew .. I was pretty lost when I started the lectures, etc as I didn't know what I had to do / felt quite depressed as everyone else seems to know everything. There ARE people in your shoes .. go to the LTU workshops, they are very helpful.

20. What you are supposed to do - take notes in lectures. Seems obvious but needs to be said. I stressed out about HOW to take notes, there are workshops for that but do what you feel is best for you! If that is scribbling everything being said so be it. If that is writing down some key stuff than do that. Most units have handbooks they give details about what topic is being covered in each week and the books you need to read. After the lecture, read through your notes / maybe write / type them up properly and do some reading to add to your notes.

21. Dictaphones are your friends. They are VERY helpful. Just make sure the settings are correct (so they don't automatically pause recording when its a bit quiet as when the lecturer starts again it sort of cuts off and it gets confusing to understand what is going on).

22. In terms of readings, they say they expect you to read ALL the essential readings but this does not mean back to back. Read introductions and conclusions of all the books (look ahead in the library as they tend to go fast) and than read into some you were comfortable with. Don't just read the, try and make notes! I usually read and make notes on my laptop which later helps me if I want to do essays as I can just copy and paste my notes rather than having to remember which book said what and where. The introduction / conclusion method REALLY helped me. I also found that when looking for books, I read some others with similar class marks / titles and some helped me more than the essential ones!

23. Don't leave it till the last minute! Its tempting to just leave it for Christmas break, reading week, etc but it just adds on the stress! Try and spend some time after each lecture / tutorial going through your notes and make sure you do the assignments1

24. Speaking of essays, DON'T STRESS! First year doesn't count, you just have to pass (40%) and most essays only count to around 10% or 15% of your 100% where you need only 40%. Now I'm not saying you should screw working but remember to use it as a learning experience so you know what to do in your second year!

25. If you leave things to the last minute, you will want to eat your brains out afterwards! Choose topics you will find enjoyable and even challenging as I found it really hard to do ones that were 'easier' as they were a bit boring :sad:

26. Ask your tutor to explain how to reference properly. Once you get the hang of it, its really quite easy!

27. If the university asks if you want to go to a Bridging Course .. say yes. Even if you aren't First Generation Students. They are SO SO helpful. Plus you get a free SOAS goodie bag which you'd have to spend £2.50 buying :p:

28. Enjoy Freshers Week. Do EVERYTHING. Drink ALOT of Redbull. Chances are you probably will be too busy with work to have fun at other times :cry:

29. Make sure you back EVERYTHING up. Seems a bit obvious but many of us tend to be like yeah I'll back it up tomorrow, weekend, end of the month etc. Back up everything after you've done it. So just after you've finished your essay (even if its a draft), save it on a USB, online at Google Docs, email it to yourself, etc.

30. Computer labs are GOOD but busy. There are two, I find RG05 (?) to be really nice =D Make sure your USB works though, mine was a flashdrive and the computers refused to recognize it so I couldn't print off my stuff =O

31. Brunswick Centre should be your hang. It has Nandos, Yo Sushi, Superdrugs, Waitrose .. and if you love sushi, you MUST try out Hare & Tortoise .. expect a line! Brunswick can also be used to avoid going around the centre and cutting through it to go to Vernon!

Andddd thats it! Sorry its quite a bit but I really wish I knew all of that before starting uni as they would have helped me out! Woah :yup: a lot of time wasting that I clearly don't have!

Guys, post up stuff you wish you knew before starting SOAS!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1) The nearest Starbucks is in the Brunswick centre :nn:

2) You become an automatic enemy of the state if you reveal even slight misgivings about Palestine. Expect to be slaughtered.

3) It might be central, but the buildings are really dilapidated and badly maintained (which is no surprise seeing as the place hires illegal immigrants and the university subsequently gets raided by the Border Patrol Agency every month)

4) People are really unfriendly and have their own weird, hidden agenda. It's like they are not living on this planet.

5) The samosas at the bar are, I hate toa dmit it, really tasty :yum:

6) Soas is the kind of place where the staff are friendly, even if they don't know you - they'll hold doors open for you, smile, maybe even chat? Even the tutors that are contracted out, especially language staff where so many staff are required they contract freelancers out rather than have in-house teaching staff, they may seem business like and aloof at first - but they do care.

7) There a lot of fake and pretentious people at SOAS. I am looking forward to going to a more 'real' and 'down to earth/traditional' university in September.

8) There are never any hot people at the SOAS LGBT Soc so don't join it :biggrin:
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Some comments:

- Enrolment was hectic, but you have to do it once, only. It's a couple of hours you have to deal with it at most, for a 3-4 year degree.

- Try to ignore the SOAS library if you don't need books from there. Go to the ones around SOAS, the Senate House Library, the LSE one... - the SOAS one makes you tired and is one of the worst places to study I've ever encountered. Though, this should change with the current restructuring activities.

- Get a SCONUL card in the library office. You can enter any (or at least most) university library in the UK with it, except for the Oxbridge ones. -> www.sconul.ac.uk

- I'm not a huge fan of the Hare Krishna food (no meat, too healthy...), but I agree: try it at least twice :smile:

- The administration is improvable, no doubt. However, you usually still get things done, if you need them to be done.

- It's a unique experience to study at SOAS. Think of it that way, even if you should be annoyed with certain aspects after the first weeks. Few other universities will broaden your mind (yes, this will happen, and if it's only years after your graduation) that much.
Reply 3
Undiscovery
4) People are really unfriendly and have their own weird, hidden agenda. It's like they are not living on this planet.

Your post almost makes it seem like you've got a weird agenda of your own :P

My top tip: get to grips with the library! If you can't stand the heat of the main study areas, retreat to the cool serenity of the reading rooms. Each subject has their own (I think), but beware: stray into other subject domains at your own peril!
Reply 4
Piers-
Your post almost makes it seem like you've got a weird agenda of your own :P

Yeh man, KILL ZEM ALLLL!! Especially the Big Issue lady outside the Brunei Gallery :w00t:
Reply 5
A not very creative idea, but wouldn't it make sense to organise and re-phrase some of these points, add a few and let them stay on top of the forum as a sticky? Several of these points might actually really help new students (and more seasoned ones).
Undiscovery

8) There are never any hot people at the SOAS LGBT Soc so don't join it :biggrin:

:sadnod: so true!

Also .. HARE AND TORTOISE.

grt
Some comments:

- Enrolment was hectic, but you have to do it once, only. It's a couple of hours you have to deal with it at most, for a 3-4 year degree.

- Get a SCONUL card in the library office. You can enter any (or at least most) university library in the UK with it, except for the Oxbridge ones. -> www.sconul.ac.uk

1. Ah I was standing behind this second year who had to go through the stage again, as has others because they didn't send her the course registration form over the summer :shock: If this happens, GET IT NOW!

2. Thanks for that, someone told me about it once but I just couldn't find what it was called :biggrin:
Hey, im stuck betweem SOAS and Sheffield Uni for september, and i cant seem to find many students at SOAS. Any advice on which uni to choose?
Reply 8
adamchapman91
Hey, im stuck betweem SOAS and Sheffield Uni for september, and i cant seem to find many students at SOAS. Any advice on which uni to choose?

- What subject(s) are we talking about?
- What is your main goal of your time at university - what do you want to achieve?
- What kind of person are you?
- How important is the reputation of your university and/or department/course for you? How important the quality? How important job prospects?

Thinking about these questions plus reading some posts on here (and asking more specific questions if you'd like) in both university forums should give you a much better idea.
Reply 9
eMJaaay&#9829
1. Ah I was standing behind this second year who had to go through the stage again, as has others because they didn't send her the course registration form over the summer :shock: If this happens, GET IT NOW!

2. Thanks for that, someone told me about it once but I just couldn't find what it was called :biggrin:

Regarding 1: He deserved it (submitting the course registration forms early makes planning and scheduling rooms etc. so much easier and would avoid too much hassle in the beginning of the year). Oh, and it's more pleasant for the student also :smile:

Regarding 2: You're welcome. I got mine, but haven't used it yet...
Reply 10
You guys make SOAS sound scary and unenjoyable! Is this the case? Do students generally get along, go partying around central London etc?
hamzab
You guys make SOAS sound scary and unenjoyable! Is this the case? Do students generally get along, go partying around central London etc?

This is not the case! Hahaha compared to LSE who have like an essay a week, I'd say I've got it pretty easy! I just stress out too much .. and spend the whole time in the library :shock:

But pretty much all, and I do mean ALL my friends go clubbing like twice a week .. I don't know how they do it :no:

SOAS is awesome on Fridays, mostly, as you get to check out alternative music at the JCR or enjoy some drinks at the SU .. both tend to be pretty packed ... and if you want to go for accommodation, I've been pestered about the superiority of ULU halls over Dinwids!
Reply 12
hamzab

Well, most people complaining in this forum have never experienced other universities, but heard of the reputation SOAS has (badly administrated, strange students, ...) and try to sound intelligent or cool by complaining.

There are a couple of points that are annoying (the main advantage of studying at LSE compared to SOAS? Most of the time there are markers for the white boards in the LSE rooms; not too often in the SOAS ones :wink:), but, hey, that's the case for every university.

Except for the usual political debate, students get along well (there are actually plenty options for interaction - that's not the case at every university), I'd say. Partying, well, that's different for everyone. There are students that do so, and do so extensively. I don't. One way or another, you have plenty of time during your undergraduate degree to do whatever you like - less time when studying one or even two languages, but languages have a high priority at SOAS (which is a very good thing and I wish I had started learning one or even two in recent years).

eMJaaay&#9829
This is not the case! Hahaha compared to LSE who have like an essay a week, I'd say I've got it pretty easy! I just stress out too much .. and spend the whole time in the library :shock:

SOAS is awesome on Fridays, mostly, as you get to check out alternative music at the JCR or enjoy some drinks at the SU .. both tend to be pretty packed ... and if you want to go for accommodation, I've been pestered about the superiority of ULU halls over Dinwids!

- At least regarding Economics, I wouldn't say that it's more intense at LSE. Having not any required coursework like essays (in most modules) to do in the year, just exams (and then it's all about maths...).

- Isn't the main advantage of ULU halls that most of them are closer to Russel Square? The rooms I've seen there were smaller than the ones in Dinwiddy, you had no kitchen (nothing you'd call kitchen, at least) and had to deal with students from other universities...
Reply 13
grt
Well, most people complaining in this forum have never experienced other universities, but heard of the reputation SOAS has (badly administrated, strange students, ...) and try to sound intelligent or cool by complaining.

There are a couple of points that are annoying (the main advantage of studying at LSE compared to SOAS? Most of the time there are markers for the white boards in the LSE rooms; not too often in the SOAS ones :wink:), but, hey, that's the case for every university.

Except for the usual political debate, students get along well (there are actually plenty options for interaction - that's not the case at every university), I'd say. Partying, well, that's different for everyone. There are students that do so, and do so extensively. I don't. One way or another, you have plenty of time during your undergraduate degree to do whatever you like - less time when studying one or even two languages, but languages have a high priority at SOAS (which is a very good thing and I wish I had started learning one or even two in recent years).

- At least regarding Economics, I wouldn't say that it's more intense at LSE. Having not any required coursework like essays (in most modules) to do in the year, just exams (and then it's all about maths...).

- Isn't the main advantage of ULU halls that most of them are closer to Russel Square? The rooms I've seen there were smaller than the ones in Dinwiddy, you had no kitchen (nothing you'd call kitchen, at least) and had to deal with students from other universities...

Thanks for that. So like a normal mainstream University, the students are still active in normal student activities (I'm not a mad party Goer or after loads of sex lol just want to have a good time!)

Are you studying at SOAS now or were you an Undergraduate there and what did you study, and what are you studying at LSE? Sorry for the questions lol.

I would probably take ULU halls as their catered and SOAS ones aren't (please correct me if wrong) plus get to meet more diverse range of people (engineers, scientists, economists etc)
grt

Math is hard man. I've been slaving over QME over the last few days .. I still don't get it :no: but in terms of like Development Studies for example, LSE guys have way more reading / essaying in non-quantitative subjects than SOAS lot :sadnod:

Also, the rooms aren't that great, the food is DISGUSTING .. I've only been to catered ones where the kitchen just consists of erm a microwave I think? But apparently the 'partayyyy / clubbbbb' social life is more prominent and plus its nice to know people from other universities :biggrin: mostly :ninja:
hamzab
I would probably take ULU halls as their catered and SOAS ones aren't (please correct me if wrong) plus get to meet more diverse range of people (engineers, scientists, economists etc)

The money REALLY isn't worth it. The food is .. both aesthetically AND taste-wise, disgusting.

Pics for proof. :shock:
Reply 16
eMJaaay&#9829
The money REALLY isn't worth it. The food is .. both aesthetically AND taste-wise, disgusting.

Pics for proof. :shock:

Woah! Was that your's?

That :snow::snow::snow::snow: looks naaaaaassstttyyy!!! Is that stuff even cooked?
Reply 17
hamzab
Thanks for that. So like a normal mainstream University, the students are still active in normal student activities (I'm not a mad party Goer or after loads of sex lol just want to have a good time!)

Well, SOAS is far from being a mainstream university, but that's one of its main advantages in my opinion. But based in London plus focussing more on popular subjects (economics, law, politics, history...) made the student body more mainstream-ish than it was before. Besides, being located in Inner London has its impact on how to spend your free time.

I'm mainly (don't ask...) a final year Economics student at SOAS at the moment.

Ohh... main Dinwiddy advantage: Own bathroom (well, shower including wash basin and toilet - but it's yours!)! I was very glad having this last year when I stayed in Dinwiddy.

eMJaaay&#9829
Math is hard man. I've been slaving over QME over the last few days .. I still don't get it :no:

Tell me about it... But in the end it's just quite simple mathematics (compared to what e.g. engineers have to deal with). Think about the time you'd invest in reading all (or some) of the articles in e.g. development studies. Spend the time on maths (which will not be fun) and you'll have a much better grip of it than of the topic you would have been reading about. There's no right or wrong in maths, it's just a tool. And mastering it for the level an undergraduate economist's needs isn't that time-consuming or intellectually demanding compared to getting a profound idea about political economy issues.

That being said, I'm far from mastering it. It's just too boring and annoying (before I joined the course at SOAS I studied Economics at a very math-based economics department)... *sigh*
Reply 18
grt
Well, SOAS is far from being a mainstream university, but that's one of its main advantages in my opinion. But based in London plus focussing more on popular subjects (economics, law, politics, history...) made the student body more mainstream-ish than it was before. Besides, being located in Inner London has its impact on how to spend your free time.

I'm mainly (don't ask...) a final year Economics student at SOAS at the moment.

Ohh... main Dinwiddy advantage: Own bathroom (well, shower including wash basin and toilet - but it's yours!)! I was very glad having this last year when I stayed in Dinwiddy.

Tell me about it... But in the end it's just quite simple mathematics (compared to what e.g. engineers have to deal with). Think about the time you'd invest in reading all (or some) of the articles in e.g. development studies. Spend the time on maths (which will not be fun) and you'll have a much better grip of it than of the topic you would have been reading about. There's no right or wrong in maths, it's just a tool. And mastering it for the level an undergraduate economist's needs isn't that time-consuming or intellectually demanding compared to getting a profound idea about political economy issues.

That being said, I'm far from mastering it. It's just too boring and annoying (before I joined the course at SOAS I studied Economics at a very math-based economics department)... *sigh*

If you don't mind me asking, did you transfer in to SOAS and from where?

Also, are you doing a joint Hons course with LSE? I ask as Im planning on doing Economics with Geography (Econ at SOAS and Geog at Kings)

Lastly, SOAS Economists, what kind of jobs do they get, can I still become an Economist for the Bank of England (have other graduates done this/planning on doing so) I prefer the BoE as they pay for your MSc and have good links with the LSE lol. Also do SOAS grads get into Investment Banking and NGOs given it's stance on development etc.
Reply 19
hamzab
If you don't mind me asking, did you transfer in to SOAS and from where?

Also, are you doing a joint Hons course with LSE? I ask as Im planning on doing Economics with Geography (Econ at SOAS and Geog at Kings)

Lastly, SOAS Economists, what kind of jobs do they get, can I still become an Economist for the Bank of England (have other graduates done this/planning on doing so) I prefer the BoE as they pay for your MSc and have good links with the LSE lol. Also do SOAS grads get into Investment Banking and NGOs given it's stance on development etc.

I transferred to SOAS from the University of Cologne (relatively known for offering the CEMS degree together with LSE, St. Gallen etc.) in Germany and study straight Economics at SOAS with a part of my course being taught at LSE.

There has been said much on here regarding job prospects. In summary, including my own point of view: get (very) good grades and you will have plenty of opportunities of getting a job later on (including banking; there are final year students with offers already). Or get a postgraduate degree offer (e.g. a good friend of mine studied Economics and Korean at SOAS and got into the MSc Finance course at LSE). No idea about the BoE, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending