The Student Room Group
Well, I imagine most medics don't because of location.

There are limited amounts of medical schools, so you'd have to get into that one you live near by, which, is no easy feat. Like I would HAVE to get into Cardiff. The only exception to the rule would be London.

Otherwise, what difference would it make compared to other degrees? It would be a pain in the ass because you're in lectures so much + travel time I s'pose. And, depending on your placements, you could be going WAY further than needed if you were living close to your university.

But there could be some crazy reason I don't know because I'm just an applicant.
Reply 2
I live at home! Basically couldn't get accommodation in time cos it was my insurance.
It's not too bad for me because I'm a sociable person and also I'm really lazy (avoids packing etc). Also saving a lot of money and less distraction?
Reply 3
I know people who lived on campus for their first year and then moved back home in their second year and they seemed to have no complaints.
Reply 4
some people on my course live at home - I would say it can work for some people but probably not the best way
Reply 5
I've heard that staying at the uni is a huge addition to the experience. It obviously also fosters independence.
Reply 6
I've only heard of one person who loves living at home when at uni, a medic yes, but that's because he seemingly has a really good social life at home but probably slightly less of one at uni. I imagine the same situation wouldn't work for everyone because people's friends tend to move away to uni. Also, he has to travel about an hour at least each way which isn't ideal for everyone, and can be a bit of an arse when you have early lectures.
Other than that, I've not really heard of anyone enjoying living at home when they're at uni. I know of a lot who actually regret doing it. It wouldn't make it easier to cope I doubt, it may have less distractions but it takes a longer time to travel usually and also you don't live as close to people who you can talk to to help you cope etc.
I lived at uni for the first year and I'm currently at home for this year but I've found it much more difficult this year so I'm moving out in the new year. But I live a good hour away from uni but it often takes longer due to traffic etc.

I've found that I'd either leave early but get caught in rush hour traffic making the journey about two hours, or I'd leave late but get home late and that'd make things difficult as I'd have to wake up really early the next day to allow enough time to get to uni. Either way, it meant that I had less time for work and inevitably I did miss out on some aspects of social life sometimes.

Anyway, that's a personal perspective. I'd certainly recommend living on campus for at least the first year as it's just easier to make friends and get involved in uni life, and it's excellent life experience (what better time to try and make it on your own than in halls of residence?). After that then if you can, living at home isn't such a bad thing for the pre-clinical part of the course.

The clinical phase, however, I'd recommend living out. The hours can be somewhat variable and you can be sent far away for attachments sometimes.
GdotL
I live at home! Basically couldn't get accommodation in time cos it was my insurance.
It's not too bad for me because I'm a sociable person and also I'm really lazy (avoids packing etc). Also saving a lot of money and less distraction?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah.... you....no distraction....... riiiiiiight:rolleyes:
Reply 9
I would rather live at home to be honest.
Reply 10
Master.K
I would rather live at home to be honest.

Excuse me if I'm being intrusive, but do you mind if I ask why? Out of curiosity really, I always like knowing why people chose to live at home.
Everyone else is gonna be at halls. It's a bit of a waste staying at home for the entire time.

That said, if I did run out of money during my Foundation years I probably would.
Reply 12
Jessaay!
Excuse me if I'm being intrusive, but do you mind if I ask why? Out of curiosity really, I always like knowing why people chose to live at home.

I'm not a medic.....yet:p:

I'm just soo used to home. I feel that I work better at home. It will take too long for me to get used to another enviroment. However, I wouldn't mind living out as I would have more independence.
Reply 13
Master.K
I'm not a medic.....yet:p:

I'm just soo used to home. I feel that I work better at home. It will take too long for me to get used to another enviroment. However, I wouldn't mind living out as I would have more independence.

I think you'd surprise yourself. I've never moved house and so I've lived in the same place all my life. Moving out, to a completely different area (a small town near manchester to London) was quite a big step. The new area becomes like a home from home if you make it so, and you've got the advantage of having other students living near you, and a good social life. Also, sometimes obviously the other students will be working too which will motivate you to work!
Reply 14
I'm just soo used to home. I feel that I work better at home. It will take too long for me to get used to another enviroment

I agree! Plus I rely so much on help and support from my family as it is, and my friends around home! I think that when/if I get into med school this is going to be even more important for me, and I dont think it would compromise my social life with med school people... However I also wouldn't be against living out for the full experience :smile:. Lucky for me Peninsula is pretty close (both Exeter and Plymouth) so hopefully they will offer me a place!
Reply 15
Jessaay!
I think you'd surprise yourself. I've never moved house and so I've lived in the same place all my life. Moving out, to a completely different area (a small town near manchester to London) was quite a big step. The new area becomes like a home from home if you make it so, and you've got the advantage of having other students living near you, and a good social life. Also, sometimes obviously the other students will be working too which will motivate you to work!

True.:yep:

Maybe I will give it a second thought.:cool:
Reply 16
I love living at home, I get on well with all my family and everything. And will really miss being there all the time for my little brother while he's growing up.
However, I would absolutely hate living at home and being at University. Almost to the point I might consider turning down a Uni place if I was forced to live at home. For me, uni isn't just about the course, but about becoming independent, managing your own money, doing your own cleaning and doing your own washing (however with some people this seems optional!). I just don't think I'd be very happy living at home.
That said my nearest med schools are in London and it would take me a good hour to get to any of them? Maybe if I lived nearer the prospect wouldn't seem as horrific?! But still pretty bad!
Reply 17
916-CALL-TURK
Everyone else is gonna be at halls. It's a bit of a waste staying at home for the entire time.

That said, if I did run out of money during my Foundation years I probably would.

You are FAR more likely to run out of money during clinical years (when NHS bursary shafts you) than as a foundation doc. The salary isn't amazing, especially if you're working an unbanded job, but it's more than enough to live comfortably and independently.
Reply 18
I love living at home, get on well with family etc, but my god I can't wait to leave for University, I'm nearly 20 years old ffs.

I seriously hope I get in this year because another year at home will drive me absolutely up the wall.

Latest

Trending

Trending