The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Outreach to Historically Black Colleges & Universities

by Dan Waxman, Campus Pride Writer

LGBTQ students at Historically Black Colleges and Universities may face different challenges than those at other colleges and universities. This article highlights some efforts involving HBCUs and thoughts regarding the LGBTQ climate at a variety of campuses.

Current Climate

The current climate for LGBTQ students at HBCUs is currently not ideal. No HBCU is currently listed on Campus Pride’s Campus Climate Index. Kevin Booker, Assistant Director of Student Life at Morehouse College says that his college has “still a ways to go”. Ronald Myles, Director of Student Activities at Tennessee State University stated that they had a LGBTQ group in the past, “but as leaders graduated, the group dissolved.” Currently of the 106 HBCUs, only ~21% or 22 host LGBTQ organizations. Overall, the general climate received from these interviews, was one of tolerance and welcome. Sandra Carter, Acting Associate VP of Student Affairs at the University of the District of Columbia stated that the university “celebrates diversity.” Booker stated that the general climate is “open [with a] high level of tolerance for LGBT population.” He stated that they have an organization called SafeSpace that is over 5 years old.

Effect of the Election of President Obama

From coast to coast, one may cite the hope that the election of Barack Obama has brought to communities. At TSU and Morehouse, this is no exception. Myles at TSU, stated that Obama would “bring a positive change to the university.” Booker Stated that “optimism is high.” Carter of UDC, stated, “if any effect, it will be positive.” She stated that, “the university is hopeful that we’re realizing the dream that we are all equal.” Obama, as one may note, is the first President to include an openly LGBTQ group in his parade. Gaskins, Diversity Student Coordinator at the Human Rights Campaign, stated Obama “may influence life on campus” and is “vocal for support for LGBT community”, when asked about the impact of the election of Obama on HBCUs. Jarrett Lucas, Director of Outreach for Soulforce Q, responded to this question based on his experience with Equality Ride. He stated that, “schools exist within themselves.” He further went on to state that, “ a lot of schools exert beliefs whether there is a black democrat in office or not.”

HBCU Outreach
Equality Ride

Equality Ride, a project of Soulforce Q, as stated on Soulforce’s website, “is a traveling forum that gives young adults the chance to deconstruct injustice and the rhetoric that sustains it.” In the past ride in 2008, 15 schools were visited including HBCUs, such as Spelman College and Morehouse College. Riders can be ages 18 to 28. There were around 20 riders in the 2008 ride. Jarrett Lucas of Soulforce, stated that “schools that take priority are schools that have policies that say LGBT people are not welcome”. Equality Ride “also looks at additions to conversations already in place.” Soulforce Q is planning another Equality Ride in Spring 2010. Applications for riders will be available at equalityride.com in the late Summer

The Human Rights Campaign HBCU Program
The Human Rights Campaign HBCU Program featured a Human Rights Campaign national event that brought together LGBTQ students at HBCUs from across the country called Hype ’08. This event had over 10 campuses attend. Through the HRC’s HBCU outreach effort, a toolkit was created that helps make the connection between campus concerns and national issues. Some examples of topics include: non- discrimination policy, hate crimes, and legislation.

A Look to the Future
As we look to the future, hopefully more schools will have LGBTQ organizations, become involved in events, and utilize the positive energy inspired by Obama in their campus communities.

Below is a table listing universities and college and their respective LGBTQ organization, which was based upon the research made by Jasper Hendrix, Director of Field Operations at the National Black Justice Coalition. If you know of a college or university that has a LGBTQ organization that is not on this list, please e-mail [email protected].

HBCU LGBT and Ally Organizations (College or University/Name of Organization)

Atlanta Metropolitan College
Embrace
Bennett College
Bride
Bowie State University
Eyes Wide Shute
Central State University
Glue
City College of New York
Straight and Gay Alliance
Cuyahoga Community College
Lamda Gay Straight Alliance
Dillard University
One People
Howard University
Blagosh
Johnson C Smith University
LGBT Alliance
Medgar Evers College
In the Life
Morehouse College
SafeSpace
Morgan State University
Rainbow Soul
New York City Technical College of Technology
Safe Zone Training
Norfolk State University
LEGASI
North Carolina A&T State University
Swim
North Carolina Central University School of Law
Outlaw Alliance
Spelman College
Afrekete
University of District of Columbia
LGBT Organization, OutLaw
University of Maryland Eastern Shore
Uniquely Defined
Virginia State University
GLAD
West Virginia State University
SAGA

From http://www.campuspride.org/hbcuoutreachtolgbtstudents.asp
Reply 21
News
Survey Shows More Diversity and Higher Graduation Rates at Public HBCUs
by Arelis Hernandez , September 14, 2009

Public Historically Black Colleges and Universities have grown and expanded in the last 20 years, making their students and faculty among the most intellectually and racially diverse in higher education, according to a survey released Monday. In their 20-year analysis on member institutions from 1986 to 2006, the Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF), a national organization that provides scholarships, support, and research to HBCUs, found that the schools are attracting more students than ever before—particularly Hispanics and Asians. “We are supporting diversity and it matters to HBCUs whose historic mission has been to serve under-served communities including Hispanic and Asian minorities, as well as, the low-income population,” said TMCF education researcher Olivia Blackmon. Over the last two decades, Hispanics and Asians have consistently increased their numbers while overall enrollment has increased about 30 percent, TMCF data indicates. Blackmon said that among female students, Asian and Hispanic women have more than doubled their presence in graduate programs while the number of degrees conferred has increased 43 and 45 percent respectively. TMCF president and chief executive officer Dwayne Ashley said public HBCUs are not only affordable but they also provide a “nurturing and supportive environment.” He said they have may have more success in welcoming a more diverse student population overall than historically White institutions.

“At HBCUs, you have students who are judged on merits not on a racial context,” said Dr. Marybeth Gasman, an associate education professor at the University of Pennsylvania, describing the decision many students make to attend an HBCU over an HWI. Gasman, a researcher who studies HBCUs, noted that the significant growth in Asian, Hispanic, and even White students, dispels widely-held myths about the schools, and is the result of aggressive marketing campaigns in non-traditional settings. “Students are saying they are looking for a diversity of perspectives and people. They want the HBCU experience,” Gasman said. “Some people think that Black colleges are all Black and are not very diverse but people forget that Black culture in itself is very diverse.” Consistently since 1986, non-Black students make up about a fifth of the HBCU student body. The data also shows that there is almost a 1:1 ration of full-time non-Black faculty to Black faculty, spreading diversity more evenly than HWIs. At HBCUs, non-Black faculty, which includes Whites and other races, represent 45 percent of full-time and 31 percent of part-time faculty respectively. “I was shocked when looked to compare public HBCUs to public flagship institutions across the board,” Gasman said, “You are not going to see faculties as diverse as this in any way.”

Despite the percentage growth, the numbers are still small for minority subgroups. For example, Hispanics represented just two percent and Asians one percent of the public HBCU student population in 2006. The number of reporting White students has also decreased steadily over the years, losing nearly 7,000 students since 1986. But Gasman points out that those students who mark “Other,” a group that has increased and represented 4.8 percent in 2006, are most likely White. As the number of students at HBCUs grew so also did the number of degrees awarded; graduation rates have improved almost 60 percent. Across the board, women experienced the largest increases, quadrupling the number of doctorate degrees and experiencing a 78 percent jump in bachelor’s degrees in 2006. Graduation rates experienced modest gains among Black and Latino men, a phenomenon consistent with public and private universities nationwide. Ashley said, however, that the data shows HBCUs generally attract and retain Black men better than other institutions.

Internal and external forces at HBCUs have fueled increased completion rates that have been historically low, Gasman said. “There has been an emphasis on increasing degree attainment that’s been going around in different HBCU circles. Administration is really pushing it,” she said. “Graduation rates are not that high so states are under pressure to increase them among the state institutions and HBCUs are also being pushed more.” While public colleges and universities have had to make enormous cuts to their operating budgets as state economies shrink, Ashley said for HBCUs the impact has been minimal in comparison. “We’ve always been challenged for resources,” Ashley said. “There are some financial concerns, projects are being delays and everybody is cutting costs, but we haven’t seen dramatic drops.” In the report, endowments have more than tripled in value and averaged $14 million at each school in 2006. At the same time, students are borrowing more money to finance their studies while federal grants have decreased. The average cost for public HBCUs has risen in the last decade by 38 percent for in-state students and 45 percent for out-of-state students.

Black colleges still struggle on a sore point for tenured faculty, who earn about 20 percent less than their counterparts at all public universities and colleges. The salary gap is smaller for associate and assistant professors, who earn 10 percent less than their public institution counterparts across the board.

From http://diverseeducation.com/artman/publish/article_13045.shtml
Reply 22
Study: HBCUs Offer Low Tuition - Historically black colleges and universities can be a great value, according to a new report

By Kim Clark
Posted December 15, 2009

Historically black colleges and universities, or HBCUs, have significantly lower sticker prices than comparable colleges that don't specialize in educating blacks, the United Negro College Fund has reported. The college members of the UNCF charge about $6,600 less than comparable institutions. The study didn't examine the net costs students actually paid, however. Only about 25 percent of students at private colleges across the country pay their college's asking price. Three quarters get grants, averaging about $10,000, to reduce their costs far below the sticker prices. Most HBCUs haven't received the big donations or government grants that enable competing historically white institutions to offer lots of scholarships. So students offered grants at more expensive historically white colleges may actually pay less for their degrees than students who don't get grants but attend lower-priced HBCUs.

The UNCF noted, however, that some HBCUs do a much better job of giving disadvantaged students the tutoring and extra help they need to graduate than do larger and less specialized colleges. Of course, there is great variation in the quality and prices of HBCUs, just like anything else. One way to find out if an HBCU you are considering will help you get your degree is to check out the school's graduation rate and our rankings. And because the economic troubles are affecting schools differently, it pays to check out the financial and academic stability of any school you're considering before making a four-year commitment. Check the status of a school's accreditation via the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools or the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Reply 23
Child Prodigy at Morehouse College

13-year-old student wows Morehouse

(http://www.championnewspaper.com/news/articles/21313-year-old-student-wows-morehouse-213.html)

As a 13-year-old, Lithonia resident Stephen Stafford II can usually be found sitting in front of the television playing video games or playing his drum set. But Stafford is no typical 13-year old – he’s a college student. The triple-major child prodigy is becoming a sensation at Morehouse College. “I’ve never taught a student as young as Stephen, and it’s been amazing,” said computer science professor Sonya Dennis. “He’s motivating other students to do better and makes them want to step up their game.” “When I saw how much knowledge Stephen has at such a young age, I wondered what I had been doing with my life,” laughed third-year student, Eric Crawford. A psychology major and computer science minor, Crawford wanted to step up his game so much that he got Stephen to tutor him. “Even though I’m older, Stephen is like a mentor and my elder in computer science,” said Crawford. “Eric’s a really fun person to be around, and we have a good time together,” said Stafford.

Crawford added, “Stephen has a lot of patience with me. I got a 95 in the class because of Stephen.” Even at age 11 when Stafford started at Morehouse, he got the highest score in his pre-calculus class. “He breezes through whatever I throw at him. If it’s an hour lab, he can do it in 20 or 30 minutes,” said Dennis. Stafford said he isn’t nervous about studying with students much older than himself. “I just do what I always did. I show up, I do the work, and I go home,” he said.

When talking to Stafford, it’s easy to forget his age. But his age shows when he’s playing video games or even at dinner, where he eats while also trying to solve a Rubik’s Cube. Still, Stafford finds it hard to relate to teens his age. “I relate better to Eric…most kids my age don’t know when to stop playing around and when to be serious,” he said. Stafford’s mother, Michelle Brown-Stafford, home-schooled both her children (Stephen has an older sister also in college) and believes that parental involvement is essential for students to excel. But when she realized her son was starting to teach her instead of being taught, she knew he needed to be in a college environment. “It was surreal because on one hand he’s talking about technical things I didn’t even understand, and on the other hand he was asking me to come watch Sponge Bob with him. So it was bittersweet to let him go.”

Brown-Stafford wondered if there were other parents who shared her experiences with a gifted child, so she helped found a support group: www.gifted-spirit.com. And the Morehouse family has become a support group for Stafford, personifying the African proverb about it taking a village to raise a child. Stafford is too young to stay on campus, so his mother picks him up and drops him off each day. The students protect him and make a point not to curse or discuss certain mature issues around him, according to his mother and Stafford. Even the staff of Jazzman’s Café, where Stafford tutors Crawford, helps nurture Stephen into becoming a “Morehouse Renaissance Man”–well-spoken, well-dressed, well-read, well-traveled, and well-balanced. The cafe’s general Manager, Darren Page, added an unofficial principle: well-fed. “A Morehouse Man cannot study on an empty stomach,” said Page. So whenever Stafford comes to Jazzman’s, Page gives up his own employee meal for the 13-year-old.

It seems that everyone wants to be a part of helping Stafford graduate in 2012, and go on to Morehouse School of Medicine. And because of a Georgia law that requires a student to be 16 to graduate high school, he’ll be getting his high school diploma the same year he receives his college degrees in math, computer science and pre-med. “Kids will live up to your expectations. But I ultimately want Stephen to be happy,” said Stephen Stafford Sr. Brown-Stafford added, “I want him to be well-rounded and still connect with kids his own age, so we put him in DeKalb County’s 4-H Club and other programs.” She added that she’s thankful to the Morehouse family for embracing her son. “I want to see what Stephen becomes 10 years from now,” said Crawford. Page added, “I want to be at his graduation. And then I want to walk by and touch the [campus] statue of Dr. Martin Luther King and recognize I had a role in [Stephen] walking in Martin Luther King’s footsteps.” And how fitting, since Dr. King entered Morehouse at age 15.

So to put a spin on Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech, Stephen is being judged by the content of his character, not by his age.
Reply 24
A Few Rhode Scholars Who Graduated From HBCUs:

Carla Peterman (Howard University)

Marianna B. Ofosu (Howard University)

Nima Warfield (Morehouse College)

Christopher Elders (Morehouse College)

O. Temitope Folarin (Morehouse College)

Andrew McCall (Truman State University)

Reply 25
India Gary-Martin Named to Britain's Power 100 List

Spelman Spotlight - Alumnae Profile: India Gary Martin, C'1991

India Gary-Martin’s career in Financial Services spans nearly twenty years and three continents; North America, Europe and Asia. Though her formal training is in History, India’s plans to attend Law school were derailed when she was offered a role at Morgan Stanley in its groundbreaking technology training program which not only taught its trainees the complexities of Investment Banking but also to become non-traditional ‘think outside of the box’ technologists.

Over the next several years, India grew her career through various development and change functions at Morgan Stanley and latterly Deutsche Bank where her most recent role was the Chief Operating Officer of the Global Markets Operations Technology business. Some of the highlights of her tenure at Deutsche Bank include work on the Deutsche Bank/Bankers Trust integration, the implementation of market changing technology in Asia, and commercial negotiations to launch both near-shore and offshore development capabilities.

At Deutsche Bank, India was recognized as a leader with regard to her people development and talent retention strategies and participation in both formal and informal mentoring relationships which gained the firm external recognition. After leaving Deutsche Bank, India joined Lehman Brothers as the European Chief Information Officer for the Mortgage Capital Division, the only B2C division of Lehman Brothers. At Lehman Brothers, India’s role became much more commercially focused as she was a member of the Mortgage Capital Executive Team responsible for targeted acquisitions to grow the business quickly whilst building its retail customer base to grow the business organically.

Prior to the collapse of Lehman Brothers and as a result of the decision to close the Mortgage business, India joined The Royal Bank of Scotland where she is now leading the Asset Protection Scheme for Global Banking and Markets, a role that places her personal success firmly on the critical path to the recovery of RBS’ share price, and long term viability of the bank. India joined RBS to run the largest of the RBS/ABN integration programs. After having completed the 2200 staff, 12 site, multi-platform integration for a €1BN+business, she was given the responsibility to run the first and largest government insurance scheme of its kind in the history of banking for Global Banking and Markets.

In addition to her day job, India is a keen supporter of Diversity activities and has been awarded various awards for work in this space including: Outstanding Contribution to Diversity from Women in Banking and Finance, Best Female Technologist from European Banking Technology Magazine and a Superior Service Award from Lehman Brothers. India has been named to the Powerlist 2010, 100 of the most influential Black people in the UK. She sits on the organizing committees for both Action for Addiction and the Lord Mayor’s Appeal. India taught Performance Management and Strategy Development at Temple University in Japan, is a published writer and is on the board of the City Women’s Network. She is an avid linguist and speaks French and Japanese. Her personal hobbies are golf, traveling and spending time with her family.
Reply 26
:wizard2: Today is the 129th anniversary :birthday: of Spelman College's founding (my alma mater)

:smartass: Spelman, one of the nation's most highly regarded colleges for women, was founded by Sophia B. Packard and Harriet E. Giles, two friends who were commissioned in 1879 by the Woman's American Baptist Home Mission Society to study the living conditions "among the freedmen of the South." Appalled by the lack of educational opportunity for Black women, the missionaries returned to Boston determined to effect change. On April 11, 1881, they opened a school in the basement of Atlanta's Friendship Baptist Church with $100 provided by the congregation of the First Baptist Church of Medford, Massachusetts. The first eleven pupils, ten women and one girl, were mostly ex-slaves, determined to learn to read the Bible and write.

Totally dedicated, Misses Packard and Giles returned to the North in 1882 for more funds. At a church meeting in Cleveland, Ohio, they were introduced to Mr. John D. Rockefeller who emptied his wallet during the collection and questioned the two women's intentions: "You know," he said, "there are so many who come here and get us to give money. Then they're gone, and we don't know where they are--where their work is. Do you mean to stick? If you do, you'll hear from me again." Determined to succeed, the women took an option on an Atlanta site that had been used as barracks and drill grounds for federal troops during the Civil War. Sustained by their faith, Misses Packard and Giles worked diligently to gain additional financial support. Subsequently, title of the property was transferred to the Atlanta Baptist Female Seminary, and in February 1883, the school relocated to its new nine-acre site, which included five frame buildings with both classroom and residence hall space. In an effort to liquidate the debt, more than $4,000 was raised by the Black community, $3,000 by the Negro Baptists of Georgia, and another $1,300 from individual contributions. Other important gifts and contributions kept operating costs at a minimum. Teachers volunteered their services and gifts of furnishings; supplies and clothing were sent from the North. As enrollment steadily increased, the normal school curriculum was expanded to include sewing, cooking, millinery, and other preeminently practical subjects.

In April 1884 on the third anniversary of the founding of the school, Mr. John D. Rockefeller was indeed heard from again. Visiting the school with Mrs. Rockefeller, her sister and her mother, Mrs. Lucy Henry Spelman, Mr. Rockefeller was impressed enormously with the seminary and settled the debt on the property. Later, the name of the school was changed to Spelman Seminary in honor of the Spelman family, longtime activists in the Anti-Slavery Movement. In addition to stabilizing a tenuous financial situation, the Rockefeller gift established an interest and recognition that otherwise might have taken years to achieve. Financial support from new sources helped to broaden the school's involvement in community, social, and church work. The Slater Fund, already underwriting the cost of teaching new trade subjects, provided the money to set up a printing department. The Spelman Messenger (1884), the school's first major publication, became an important instrument for disseminating practical information, especially for families in rural areas.

As the mushrooming enrollment taxed the school's modest facilities, Mr. Rockefeller responded by donating funds for a magnificent $40,000 brick building, the first major construction on the Spelman campus. In 1887, Rockefeller Hall, named for its donor, was succeeded by another major building, Packard Hall. Completed in 1888, the building was dedicated to the work, vision, and self-sacrifice of Sophia Packard, who worked assiduously to acquire a state charter for the school. In 1888 the charter was granted, and the Board of Trustees officially expressed its gratitude by appointing Miss Packard as Spelman's first president. During the first 10 years, the school flourished with 800 pupils, 30 teachers, and property valued at $90,000. Harriet E. Giles succeeded Sophia Packard and served as president of Spelman for the next 18 years, a period marked by maturation and progress. The Seminary conferred its first college degrees in 1901. A year later, the Seminary celebrated its 25th anniversary as an institution that had filled a spectrum of needs for thousands of Black women--from grade school through college. Miss Giles' death on November 12, 1909, marked the end of a remarkable era.

Lucy Hale Tapley was elected to the presidency in March 1910. Miss Tapley, who had worked with the founders for 20 years, proved a formidable leader for the times. The 17 years of her administration saw the school answer the challenges of a new century and gradually move away from the concept of an all-purpose academy. When the public sector began to provide educational opportunities for Black children, Spelman concentrated on higher level offerings as the Board of Trustees voted to discontinue the elementary school in 1927. Spelman's brisk and positive president believed that training teachers constituted the most efficient use of the school's resources, and with the help of the Rockefellers, she acquired the facilities to strengthen the program, offering elementary and secondary education and home economics courses. On June 1, 1924, the name of the school was officially changed to "Spelman College."

Within a 10-year period, four major buildings were erected. Sisters Chapel, named in honor of Laura Spelman Rockefeller and her sister Lucy Maria Spelman, was the crowning achievement of Miss Tapley's administration. The building, with a seating capacity of 1,050, still remains one of the largest in the Atlanta University Center.. Miss Tapley resigned in June 1927 and was named President Emerita. Florence Matilda Read, a graduate of Mount Holyoke College, was elected president, effective September 1, 1927. As a condition of her acceptance, Miss Read requested that Spelman establish an endowment fund and use the interest to help defray the cost of operations. The trustees used her request to solicit funds that eventually totaled more than $3,000,000. By 1930 Spelman had become one of only six Black colleges to hold membership in the American Association of Colleges and by 1932 had received an "A" rating from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

One of the most significant events in the College's history was the signing of the Agreement of Affiliation between Spelman College, Morehouse College, and Atlanta University in April 1929. The agreement set up a university system in which Spelman and Morehouse served as undergraduate institutions and Atlanta University as the graduate school. Eventually, Morris Brown and Clark Colleges joined the affiliation in 1957, the Interdenominational Theological Center in 1959, and the Morehouse School of Medicine in 1983. The largest consortium of Black colleges was ultimately renamed the Atlanta University Center (AUC). In 1929 the nearly unique system strengthened the schools by an interchange of facilities, faculties, students, and curricula. The addition of Atlanta University as the graduate school gave the undergraduate institutions immediate access to graduate facilities in an era when Blacks were still denied entrance to southern universities. Under the new system, Spelman's high school division was turned over to Atlanta University and thereafter operated as the Atlanta University Laboratory School. A little more than a year after the Agreement of Affiliation had been signed, the General Education Board, a Rockefeller agency, donated the funds for a magnificent library for the collective use of members and prospective members of the new university system. Designed by James Gambrell Rogers (architect for Yale, Northwestern, Cornell, et al.) and strategically located on the Atlanta University campus between Spelman and Morehouse, the new structure was completed in 1932 and later was named for Trevor Arnett, chairman of Spelman's Board of Trustees and a distinguished administrator.

During the 1930s and 1940s, Spelman continued to strengthen its core curriculum, but there was a noticeable emphasis on the arts because exclusionary practices in the South denied Blacks cultural exposure. In most instances, Spelman gave its students their first real exposure to the fine arts, especially in music, art, drama, and dance. World War II helped to alleviate some of the traditions of discrimination. As an integral part of the war effort, Spelman allowed the Army to use Laura Spelman Rockefeller Memorial Building as Branch #7 of the Army Administration School. During its operation, nearly 1,500 soldiers were graduated from the school. Spelman graduates served in the WAC (Women's Army Corps) and the Army Nurses Corps as camp librarians and in the American Red Cross, government, and industry. At the end of the war, after a thorough survey of the school, the prestigious American Association of Universities, an elite organization of graduate schools, placed Spelman on its approved list of colleges and universities, a recognition which was tantamount to giving qualified Spelman women access to the best graduate schools in America. By the end of 1947, only seven Black schools had met the association's requirements, and three of the schools were in Atlanta: Spelman College, Morehouse College, and Atlanta University.

On July 1, 1953, an enormously productive and distinguished career ended when Florence Read retired as president of Spelman. Named President Emerita, she was succeeded by Dr. Albert E. Manley, who had been dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at North Carolina College in Durham since 1946. A graduate of Johnson C. Smith University, Dr. Manley earned his Ed.D. at Stanford University. He was the first Black and the first male to serve as president of Spelman College. From the first day of his administration, Dr. Manley demonstrated his belief that women were as capable of leadership as men and that for such leadership to be effective, it must be backed by knowledge. He emphasized the achievement of excellence in all aspects of life.

As opportunities for Black women increased, were encouraged to enter the fields of medicine, law, international affairs, engineering, business, and industry. They were prepared and encouraged to enter the best graduate and professional schools in the country.. Although the decade of the 1960s severely tested all institutions of higher learning and threatened the continuity and purposes of the predominantly Black colleges, Spelman's strong emergence from those challenges attests to the quality of its leadership and the fiber of the whole college community. The Albert Manley administration created opportunities for students to travel and study abroad, encouraged leadership training, developed an effective student government association, and strengthened the tradition of excellence in the fine arts. A new fine arts building, named for John D. Rockefeller, Jr., was built to house the departments of drama, music, and art. As the College continued to grow, three new dormitories were built and classroom buildings were renovated or updated to meet the demands of an expanding curriculum.

When Dr. Manley retired in 1976, Dr. Donald M. Stewart became the sixth president of the College. Dr. Stewart, with the A.B. degree from Grinnell, the A.M. degree from Yale, and the M.P.A. and D.P.A. from Harvard, brought new strengths and experiences to the Spelman presidency. He provided leadership as Spelman women were educated to face broader opportunities and more complex responsibilities. During his tenure, Dr. Stewart continued Spelman's long tradition of academic excellence. By establishing a full-fledged chemistry department and by strengthening its General Education requirements, Spelman broadened its majors and added career oriented minors. A writing workshop was initiated to help students improve their thinking and writing skills. To further enhance the academic environment, the Comprehensive Writing Program, the Honors Program and the Women's Research and Resource Center were developed.

A Continuing Education Program, which began with noncredit courses, was instituted for the nontraditional student. This program now includes credit and noncredit courses and a Human Services major. As technology was thoroughly integrated into the campus life, computer literacy was required for students, and there were ongoing workshops for the faculty. Computer Science was also initiated as a major and minor course of study.
Two new buildings were erected on the campus. Designed to support the belief that education continues outside the classroom, a new residence hall was formally dedicated as the Donald and Isabel Stewart Living-Learning Center in 1986. It became the site of many lectures, forums, discussion groups, and other educational activities..The other building, the Academic Computer Center, originally housed a mainframe computer for teaching, and a terminal room that contained terminals and microcomputers that accessed the Atlanta University Center computer via a Local Area Network.
The Women's Studies Program, also initiated under the Stewart Administration, offered courses in Women's Studies, presented conferences and symposia, and published a journal.

On April 11, 1981, Spelman College celebrated a full century of service to women who achieve. It offered majors in 26 fields as well as special prelaw and premedical sequences. Career programs and placement services helped students to identify graduate or professional schools or job opportunities most suited to their talents and training. Five years later in December 1986, Dr. Stewart ended his tenure to become president of The College Board. Dr. Barbara Carter, Vice President for Academic Affairs, served as Acting President during the interim (January 1987 - June 1987).

At the annual meeting of the Board of Trustees on April 25, 1987, Dr. Johnnetta B. Cole was selected as the first Black woman president of Spelman College, effective July 1, 1987. Dr. Cole, a former professor of anthropology at Hunter College and the Director of Latin-American and Caribbean Studies at the City University of New York, was educated at Fisk University, Oberlin College (B.A.), and Northwestern University (M.A., Ph.D.). Dr. Cole brought a wealth of scholarly achievement and demonstrated leadership to the College. The beginning of her administration was punctuated by a $20 million donation from Drs. William and Camille Cosby for the construction of the Camille O. Hanks Cosby Academic Center. During her tenure, she positioned Spelman among the top liberal arts colleges in the nation and spearheaded the most successful major capital campaign in the history of the College.

Under Dr. Cole's leadership, Spelman received national and international recognition as she ushered in a new era of commitment to the community. Her personal and unshakable pledge to social awareness and activism inspired a generation to believe that the gift of education is not their own, but must be utilized for the greater community: "No one is free from the kind of community service that leads to both stronger communities and a just nation. Spelman was born for service." With this philosophy, she established the Johnnetta B. Cole Institute for Community Service and Community Building as an integral part of life at Spelman College. After leaving Spelman, she served on the faculty of Emory University as the Distinguished Presidential Scholar in Anthropology, Women's Studies and African American Studies, and in 2003 she became the 14th president of Bennett College for Women in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Dr. Audrey Forbes Manley, the first Spelman alumna to hold the office of President, succeeded Dr. Cole. Former Deputy Surgeon General and Acting Surgeon General of the United States, Dr. Manley began her tenure as president on July 1, 1997. As the eighth president of the College, Dr. Manley focused on positioning Spelman for success well into the next century. Spelman continued to be ranked among the top liberal arts colleges in the nation. In 1998, the College was awarded a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation's oldest and most prestigious honor society. Spelman is now one of only four HBCUs to have such a chapter. The College also was accepted as a provisional member of the NCAA Division III in basketball, volleyball, cross country, soccer, golf and tennis. Construction of the new $30.8 million Science Complex and the renovation of MacVicar Hall were completed.

The campaign to restore and renovate historic Sisters Chapel is underway. The Spelman College Strategic Plan, A Blueprint for the Future, has been designed to provide direction for the future of the College. The Plan addresses the quality of living and learning in the college community, enhancement of the technological infrastructure, geographic expansion, community revitalization, and realization of the philanthropic potential of alumnae.

In the spring of 2002, Dr. Beverly Daniel Tatum was appointed the ninth President of Spelman College. Prior to her appointment, Dr. Tatum was the Acting President of Mount Holyoke College. Dr. Tatum is a scholar, teacher, author, administrator, and clinical psychologist with expertise in race relations and racial identity formation. Building on Spelman's distinguished history as the premier liberal arts college for women of African descent, Dr. Tatum's administration will continue the College's mission with a focus on maintaining academic excellence, developing leadership, improving the infrastructure, increasing the visibility of our achievements, and providing exemplary customer service. This five-point plan is embodied in its slogan: Spelman ALIVE. In 2003, the Center for Leadership and Civic Engagement (LEADS: Leadership Development, Economic Empowerment, Advocacy through the Arts, Dialogue across Difference, and Service Learning and Civic Engagement) was established as a research institute and national repository to explore leadership theories and models. It held its first conference for women of color in 2004.

Like their leaders, Spelman women are outstanding in many fields, and their achievements attest to the quality of the institution. With its rich heritage and high standards, the College will continue to provide a first-rate liberal arts education for its students in an environment of excellence. :yeah:
Reply 27

United States Ambassador to the United Nations - Ambassador Susan E. Rice to Address Spelman College Class of 2010

Ambassador Susan E. Rice will address the graduating class of 2010 along with Marian Wright Edelman, founder and president of the Children's Defense Fund to receive an honorary degree. Michael Beckwith, founder of Agape International Spiritual Center to serve as the Baccalaureate speaker.

(PRWEB) April 14, 2010 -- Susan E. Rice, Ph. D., United States Ambassador to the United Nations and a member of President Obama’s Cabinet, will receive an honorary degree and serve as the keynote speaker to 560 graduates for Spelman College’s Commencement exercises on Sunday, May 16, 2010, at the Georgia World Congress Center at 3 p.m. “Ambassador Susan Rice embodies the dynamic leadership and commitment to global engagement that we expect from our graduates,” said Spelman College President Beverly Daniel Tatum. “Her presence at commencement will be a source of inspiration for all of us.” A noted scholar and public servant, Ambassador Rice is currently the U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations. She previously served on the National Security Council staff at the White House under President Clinton, and as U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, also during the Clinton administration. Ambassador Rice is a graduate of Stanford University, a Rhodes Scholar, and completed her doctorate in international relations at Oxford University.

Honorary Degree Recipient: Marian Wright Edelman, Children’s Defense Fund

Marian Wright Edelman, a graduate of Spelman College and Yale Law School, will receive an honorary degree at commencement. Mrs. Edelman is a former chair of the board of trustees of Spelman College, and founder and president of the Children's Defense Fund (CDF). A servant leader over the course of her entire professional life, she began her career in the mid-60s. Mrs. Edelman was the first black woman admitted to the Mississippi Bar and later directed the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund office in Jackson, Mississippi. She has advocated for families and the disadvantaged and continues to be an activist for children. As the nation’s strongest voice for children and families, the CDF is a thriving institution under Mrs. Edelman’s leadership.

Baccalaureate Speaker: Michael Beckwith, Agape International Spiritual Center

Michael Beckwith, Ph. D, founder of the Agape International Spiritual Center, will serve as Baccalaureate speaker on Saturday, May 15 at 9 a.m. on the Spelman College Campus Oval. He is the originator of the ‘Life Visioning Process’—which he teaches throughout the country along with meditation, scientific prayer and the spiritual benefits of selfless service. Dr. Beckwith is also the author of “Inspirations of the Heart”, “Forty Day Mind Fast Soul Feast”, and “A Manifesto of Peace.”

For more information about Commencement and Baccalaureate ceremonies go to http://www.spelman.edu/commencement.

Latest

Trending

Trending