The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You've joined an internet forum for students to ask for medical advice?
Reply 2
well thats not the only reason, but yeah so what?
Personally I'd rather ask a doctor or pharmacist.

What if I told you to take 2/3 of the prescribed dose for the day as long as you didn't drink more than 4.5 units, why on earth would you trust me?
Reply 4
RhianDighton
I am taking Penicillin VK tablets for a throat infection and was wondering if it would be safe to drink a small amount of alcohol as it is New Years Eve tomorrow? I wouldnt drink much just a glass of wine or two, i dont want to be throwing up all night.

Im on the same tablets for tonsillitis, the doctor said to me that i can get drunk on nye if i want but the alcohol will reduce the effectiveness of the penicillin. If it helps im on 250mg Penicillin VK with 2 tablets 4 times a day.
Reply 5
I thought maybe someone would have experienced something similar... I am looking for advice, not criticism
mprules
Im on the same tablets for tonsillitis, the doctor said to me that i can get drunk on nye if i want but the alcohol will reduce the effectiveness of the penicillin. If it helps im on 250mg Penicillin VK with 2 tablets 4 times a day.
That about sums it up but why ask a bunch of unqualified anybodies who could actually make up whatever comes into their head. My aunt told my cousin that an apple tree would grow out of his stomach if he swallowed apple seeds and I'd rather take her advice over people I don't know.
Reply 7
mprules

Thats the exact same dose as me woo! Thankyou
Reply 8
To be fair, i wouldn't trust folk on the internet with this stuff either. I have no reason to make you sick but i could be anyone.

Im not going to get drunk tomorrow just incase but will have a few drinks :smile: hope you have a good one
RhianDighton
I thought maybe someone would have experienced something similar... I am looking for advice, not criticism
Then ring your local chemist, most of mine are open tomorrow and my local Boots is open NYD
Reply 10
Perfect_Gent
That about sums it up but why ask a bunch of unqualified anybodies who could actually make up whatever comes into their head. My aunt told my cousin that an apple tree would grow out of his stomach if he swallowed apple seeds and I'd rather take her advice over people I don't know.

Because my doctor would tell me not to drink anything, i dont happen to have a doctor or pharmacist here present to answer my query do i?
Reply 11
Try antidepressants and alcohol, I've heard it's a combination to die for. Sometimes quite literally if there are any handy bridges or railway lines about...
RhianDighton
Because my doctor would tell me not to drink anything, i dont happen to have a doctor or pharmacist here present to answer my query do i?

Which should answer your question, no?

I don't think a single glass of champagne or whatever at midnight would do any harm, just don't go out and get smashed.
RhianDighton
My doctor would tell me the truth (it reduces the effectiveness but is safe in small doses) but it can depend on your age and other factors. You do have access to a doctor and pharmacist before tomorrow night though.
why do people on here always feel the need to be dickheads..? just try and answer the question don't start an argument, go on a debating thread or something freakin'ellll...
i'd drink on 'em myself.. maybe just not take em on that day for fear of diarrhoea or something..
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/871.aspx?categoryid=73&subcategoryid=103

NHS says drinking alcohol in moderation is fine with most antibiotics, and gives you a list of those you cannot drink on. And obviously the NHS are never going to say it's fine to go out and get plastered regardless of whether you're taking antibiotics, soooo...
I was told I could drink normally when I was prescribed penicillin.
mynameissamwright
why do people on here always feel the need to be dickheads..? just try and answer the question don't start an argument, go on a debating thread or something freakin'ellll...
i'd drink on 'em myself.. maybe just not take em on that day for fear of diarrhoea or something..
If you start skipping days then you can really reduce the effectiveness of them and developing microbials that can be resistant to this and other antibiotics. How do I know? I started mucking around like this and went for pre-screening for a similar condition and found I was MRSA+, possible explanation offered was the above.
Ice_Queen
Which should answer your question, no?

She means that her doctor would tell her not to drink regardless, whether she was on antibiotics or not.
Reply 19
I drank heavily whilst taking flucloxacillin and also erythromycin, it didn't have any effect on me

Latest