The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

well, I have given some thought to staying and still trying to get the AAA needed, and they say they cannot withdraw me or at least so they claim

most med schools "range" for special consideration is >550...so we are just above....

I wouldn't be wasting a year as I would use it to get work exp. and make monies :biggrin:

and tutors in every subject isn't rare, Most of the asians I know do that...
Reply 21
Seeking Utopia
Tutors for EVERY subject??? Well that's rare..
How can you be soooo sure???

She told me herself - a rich girl she is indeed.
Narik
She told me herself - a rich girl she is indeed.

Oh really.
You don't go FHS do you???
Reply 23
Seeking Utopia
Oh really.

Nah. Further West. What about you?
Reply 24
There was a lot of advice given about this in your previous thread.
Find out exactly what your point per student is, as if it's under 571.7 you'll qualify for a BBC offer for George's. Have you checked the access courses of UEA, KCL, Soton etc? Do you definitely not qualify for those?

conditional
surely he means he's already been entered to sit the modules, if so, and he doesn't show up to them the med school will still be able to see them, but the grade would be a U.

I was entered in for the Jan modules last year and couldn't sit them. In August they appeared as X on my grade sheet. Plus a U is 'ungraded' so technically you don't have to put it down.

OP, best thing to do is ring and ask the universities.
Reply 26
go to the other school for A2
Why do you not research the school your set to attend before you go?
felt_monkey
Find out exactly what your point per student is, as if it's under 571.7 you'll qualify for a BBC offer for George's. Have you checked the access courses of UEA, KCL, Soton etc? Do you definitely not qualify for those?

I was entered in for the Jan modules last year and couldn't sit them. In August they appeared as X on my grade sheet. Plus a U is 'ungraded' so technically you don't have to put it down.

OP, best thing to do is ring and ask the universities.

I checked, don't qualify for the SGUL BBC offer...eligible for the soton 6 year course, however am not sure if it would be advantageous to apply for it, as it seems most of the 6 year courses are even more competitive than the normal 5 years....another option as mentioned above would be to do my AS at my current school, and then go to the good one for A2, would there be any point in doing that, or should I start again
infernalcradle
I checked, don't qualify for the SGUL BBC offer...eligible for the soton 6 year course, however am not sure if it would be advantageous to apply for it, as it seems most of the 6 year courses are even more competitive than the normal 5 years....another option as mentioned above would be to do my AS at my current school, and then go to the good one for A2, would there be any point in doing that, or should I start again

Personally (I know this doesn't necessarily mean it's the best thing to do) I would do my ASs at your current school and then move. If the school is as good as you say they should be able to help you 'catch up' if worst comes to the worst and you don't get good AS results. And you can give it a year to see whether you really will have to move to get the best grades. I wouldn't take a gap year and start again next year, as you're running the risk of some unis seeing it as taking 3 years.
felt_monkey
Personally (I know this doesn't necessarily mean it's the best thing to do) I would do my ASs at your current school and then move. If the school is as good as you say they should be able to help you 'catch up' if worst comes to the worst and you don't get good AS results. And you can give it a year to see whether you really will have to move to get the best grades. I wouldn't take a gap year and start again next year, as you're running the risk of some unis seeing it as taking 3 years.

This is what I was thinking of...si if I do flop this year, I can retake them over there in jan/june....although I don't intend to fail....I think this is probbably the best course of action to take...and by doing so, I won't be running the risk of a 3 year A level...

Thanks a lot
Reply 31
SGUL would give you a good offer.
Seeking Utopia
Oh really.

haha francis hoe-land
infernalcradle
This is what I was thinking of...si if I do flop this year, I can retake them over there in jan/june....although I don't intend to fail....I think this is probbably the best course of action to take...and by doing so, I won't be running the risk of a 3 year A level...

Thanks a lot

S'okay :smile:. Good luck for next year. And thanks for the rep, I returned the favour :yep:
Reply 34
infernalcradle
True, I would do "fine" where I am now...however med schools do not want students that have done "fine", they want those that have excelled, and I cannot do that at a school that has around 30% of students not going to uni and has never had any med students before....whereas I now have the oppurtunity to go to a top school where I can actively pursue my goal with a good chance....would you honestly say you would not jump at an oppurtunty such as this???

are you actually joking? At my college less than 30% go to University and I've been fine.

Basically if you do this year and then start AS again then you are unlikely to be successful. How will they find out? Because you have to tell them your grades of every exam you have ever sat on your UCAS form or risk them withdrawing an offer you get for lying. And your new school always says where you've come from in their reference, may well refer to the fact you've started again.

So I'd suck it up and make the most of it, plenty of people get good grades from not-so-good colleges/schools (myself included!). It doesn't really depend on your teachers it depends on YOU.. if you've got the motivation and intelligence you will still be able to 'excell'.

Could you not go to the new school for A2s only?
Reply 35
well if i were you i would stay at the school you are already at because you would just have to drop out for a year because doing AS levels twice is like cheating
It doesnt matter how crap your school is i currently have 11 days to learn my entire chemistry module because my teacher is crap so if other people have to struggle and they can still get As I'm sure you can manage it. Just read the textbook its all in there it doesnt matter about the school what so ever you can still get As and surely you'll look better if you get AAAA while at an underachieving school than AAAA at a top school - it'll make you a better independant learner
so ye i'd stay at school and do it in 2 years like everyone else has to
Reply 36
infernalcradle
True, I would do "fine" where I am now...however med schools do not want students that have done "fine", they want those that have excelled, and I cannot do that at a school that has around 30% of students not going to uni and has never had any med students before....whereas I now have the oppurtunity to go to a top school where I can actively pursue my goal with a good chance....would you honestly say you would not jump at an oppurtunty such as this???

i'd advise you to not take it. I originally went to a pretty below average comprehesive school for secondary but am currently going to a good grammar school for AS but it hasn't made much difference. If you are used to getting the resources yourself and motivating yourself then the school you go to won't affect you that much. Some unis may even give you a small advantage if you stay at your school since only 30% of pupils go to uni. However if you feel that your teachers cannot answer the questions that you have properly in the subjects then you should take the offer since the courses will get much harder after the first unit. If you do take the offer then come clean about you starting AS, since you haven't even received your AS results yet, it won't be considered a resit and you will still be sitting your A levels in the same sitting. However you should phone the unis you are itnerested in just in case.
Seeking Utopia
Oh really.

Do you?

Latest

Trending

Trending