The Student Room Group

The TSR Musicians' Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fingersmith
That's a shame. Still - you'll ace it in March.

Thanks :smile: At least then there won't be as such a huge wait until Grade 7 - planning on doing that in June! :biggrin:
Reply 2021
Hi there, I just joined! :biggrin: I sing, and started lessons just a couple of weeks ago. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of discussion about vocals on TSR, though. :frown:
What's your voice? What do you like to sing?
Reply 2023
What's your voice? What do you like to sing?

I'm a tenor. I don't really know what particular types of music I like to sing yet - I've listened mostly to oldie rock and blues in the past, but I'm trying to explore music a bit now (on which note any recommendations to try out, both to listen and to sing, would be appreciated :biggrin:), and have been probing into jazz and classical recently. My vocal teacher told me a couple of weeks ago that it might help me to grow as a singer if I did some classical stuff, because my voice is apparently suitable for it, so songs we've done in class recently include 'The Wanderer' by Haydn and, just today, 'Agnus Dei' by Mozart (in which I was completely lost; I need to give it a really good couple of listens). We've also done some other stuff on the side, though, including 'What a Wonderful World', 'Nature Boy' and 'High and Dry'.
Two of the most standard books are '24 Italian Songs and Arias' and Schubert's Songs (can't remember the name of the book but it's published by Schirmer) Schirmer also do good collections. What I like about them is that they are available in a variety of pitches so you could go 'High' for tenor/soprano.
Reply 2025
Two of the most standard books are '24 Italian Songs and Arias' and Schubert's Songs (can't remember the name of the book but it's published by Schirmer) Schirmer also do good collections. What I like about them is that they are available in a variety of pitches so you could go 'High' for tenor/soprano.

Thanks, I'll have a look for them. :smile:

Also, out of interest, what kind of music do you generally teach?
Although I'm classically trained (I was an Oxford Choral Scholar and spent some time vocal coaching dancers for West End musicals) these days I mostly teach Music Technology. My specialty is the history of jazz and popular music but I'm also into film, TV and especially theater music.
Reply 2027
Although I'm classically trained (I was an Oxford Choral Scholar and spent some time vocal coaching dancers for West End musicals) these days I mostly teach Music Technology. My specialty is the history of jazz and popular music but I'm also into film, TV and especially theater music.

Wow, all across, then; sounds intriguing. :smile:

In other news, I'm finally beginning to get my head around 'Agnus Dei'. :biggrin: I've also recently gotten a couple of jazz albums, so I'm mostly listening to those now; there's Miles Davis and John Coltrane, and in particular relevance to my 'instrument', Kurt Elling's Nightmoves, which I'm really liking so far. I haven't tried to sing any of his stuff yet, though. :colondollar:
Reply 2028
Hello. Clarinet and bassoon player here. Also pianist and organist.
Original post by jsb123
Hello. Clarinet and bassoon player here. Also pianist and organist.

Organ and clarinet are my two favourite instruments. You are so lucky to play them.
Reply 2030
Original post by j.alexanderh
Organ and clarinet are my two favourite instruments. You are so lucky to play them.

I know. But anyone can learn. :wink:

(I taught myself the organ)
Original post by jsb123
(I taught myself the organ)

How on earth do you have free enough access to an organ to self-teach?
Reply 2032
Original post by j.alexanderh
How on earth do you have free enough access to an organ to self-teach?

I'm live near a church, and I know the vicar quite well. The organist set me off with the basics, and I carried on from there. I'm sure my technique isn't perfect (I'm too used to the piano, I think, although the organ does mess that up a bit too), but it gets me by.
Reply 2033
Original post by jsb123
I'm live near a church, and I know the vicar quite well. The organist set me off with the basics, and I carried on from there. I'm sure my technique isn't perfect (I'm too used to the piano, I think, although the organ does mess that up a bit too), but it gets me by.

Nice! What kind of music do you usually play?
Reply 2034
The traditional congregational stuff, mostly (I'm an occasional substitute, as there are a distinct lack of organists in the area).
Other than that, I'm steadily working through the classical repertoire, mostly centred around Bach, Widor and Vierne. I particularly like playing Vierne's music.
Reply 2035
Heya. Flute, piano and all percussion instruments here. Flute is my favourite and best instrument though. I've been playing it for six years and counting, although I've been playing piano for over 12 years - since nursery.
Hello :smile: Voice (musical theatre and classical, mainly, although I'm not adverse to some pop and rock and oldies sometimes :wink: ), ukulele, classical guitar and violin, although my violin is out of action right now :frown: So mainly voice, ukulele and guitar. Had some vocal training, self-taught ukulele and a mixture of my boyfriend teaching me and self-taught classical guitar. Violin, I used to have lessons, and then gave up in Year 8, and then for my 17th birthday my boyfriend gave me a violin so it was like "Yay! I can start again"... but the tuning pegs are messed up. Hopefully I can get it fixed soon and start playing again :smile:
Reply 2037
Original post by madders94
Hello :smile: Voice (musical theatre and classical, mainly, although I'm not adverse to some pop and rock and oldies sometimes :wink: ), ukulele, classical guitar and violin, although my violin is out of action right now :frown: So mainly voice, ukulele and guitar. Had some vocal training, self-taught ukulele and a mixture of my boyfriend teaching me and self-taught classical guitar. Violin, I used to have lessons, and then gave up in Year 8, and then for my 17th birthday my boyfriend gave me a violin so it was like "Yay! I can start again"... but the tuning pegs are messed up. Hopefully I can get it fixed soon and start playing again :smile:

Another vocalist! :woo:

As well as someone else who used to do but dropped the violin! :woo: Well, that one actually makes me a bit sad. :redface:
Reply 2038
I wonder if there'd be any interest in forming a TSR Singing Society. :beard: There doesn't seem to be one already (or I can't find one if there is :colondollar:).
Count me in for that. I sing anything from Baritone to Countertenor and have been teaching singers since 1980.

Quick Reply

Latest