The Student Room Group

The TSR Musicians' Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
Original post by Fingersmith
Count me in for that. I sing anything from Baritone to Countertenor and have been teaching singers since 1980.

Excellent! How do you think we might gauge the level of interest in it? I posted here because I thought it was like a general gathering point in the Music forums, but there hasn't been much response yet. Do you reckon it might be a good idea to just put up a separate thread and see if there's interest? I've never set up a society before, so I'm not sure how it works. :redface:
Original post by Abiraleft
I wonder if there'd be any interest in forming a TSR Singing Society. :beard: There doesn't seem to be one already (or I can't find one if there is :colondollar:).

Yes, there so should be one :biggrin:
Excellent! How do you think we might gauge the level of interest in it? I posted here because I thought it was like a general gathering point in the Music forums, but there hasn't been much response yet. Do you reckon it might be a good idea to just put up a separate thread and see if there's interest? I've never set up a society before, so I'm not sure how it works. :redface:

The specific societies seem to have gone rather quiet in the last year - I'm in the Saxophone Soc. and Jazz Soc. as well as a couple of more general ones and there isn't much activity. Maybe everyone is working too hard!
Original post by mr_jr
This is a society of Musicians. You are more than welcome to join provided that you are a musician(Yes, That that includes singers). We have a wide variety of musicians from guitarists *bows* to pianists, to saxophonists to, I think there are a couple of Chellists about too. Whatever you play, you can almost guarantee you wont be the only one here :smile:

Be a part of the musicians society, one of the biggest societies on TSR by following this link!
http://thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?do=join&groupid=23

I Play guitar bass and whatnont. Since i never really updated this member list and it got pretty far backtracked, ill just keep a count

CURRENT MEMBER COUNT : 435 :party::party:
First Society to 100 members :biggrin:

BASSOON!

Try starting a new thread and if you get enough interest i think you can ask a Mod to make it into a Society.
Reply 2045
Try starting a new thread and if you get enough interest i think you can ask a Mod to make it into a Society.

I meant to do this a little while ago but just didn't find the time and energy. :colondollar: I'll do it now.
I meant to do this a little while ago but just didn't find the time and energy. :colondollar: I'll do it now.

Silly me - you are a mod :colondollar:
I'm a singer and can play a bit on the piano :smile:
I'm a viola and violin player :smile: been playing since I was 7/8. (Viola's my main instrument now, I started out with Violin, but still play it!). Took a bit of a break between Grades though, only going to sit Grade 6 in June after a two year break :s-smilie: Just recently passed Grade 5 Theory with merit :smile:
Reply 2049
Piano: grade 7
Flute: grade 7
Violin: grade 5 (thinking of quiting- not my primary instrumet)
:smile: Thanks for the Group by the way!
Reply 2050
Original post by clairelou90
I'm a singer and can play a bit on the piano :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1853511 :top:
Reply 2051
Hi,,
piano.
Reply 2052
Hi,

I play the piano and clarinet, i've done my grade 7 clarinet and grade 8 piano and I am currently working towards an ABRSM diploma for piano performance. Is there anyone here who can help me or give me any hints for a diploma exam so then I know what to expect? Thankyou! :smile:
I play the piano (working towards a Trinity Guildhall Grade 5 and play trad [scottish]) and sing in Gaelic. Are there any other Gaelic singers out there?
I know a couple of songs in Irish Gealic but I couldn't claim to be a 'Gaelic singer'. I wouldn't be able to read it without hearing it.
Reply 2055
Original post by diversrock
I play the piano (working towards a Trinity Guildhall Grade 5 and play trad [scottish]) and sing in Gaelic. Are there any other Gaelic singers out there?

Just so you know, we have a vocals society where you could come and talk about singing. Gaelic singing sounds interesting. :smile:
Just so you know, we have a vocals society where you could come and talk about singing. Gaelic singing sounds interesting. :smile:

Will do! Thanks.
Well I play the piano and its grade 10, keyboard also, a bit guitar and some Chinese instruments like cucurbit flute. I'm planning to learn drum this summer so that I can write a whole song by myself. I'm just wondering that is anybody here being keen on writing and playing songs using some kinds of softwares? I want advice on it and THANKS.:smile:
Original post by sensingdevice
Well I play the piano and its grade 10, keyboard also, a bit guitar and some Chinese instruments like cucurbit flute. I'm planning to learn drum this summer so that I can write a whole song by myself. I'm just wondering that is anybody here being keen on writing and playing songs using some kinds of softwares? I want advice on it and THANKS.:smile:

Which one is the cucurbit flute? I have 4 Chinese flutes of different types (souvenirs not good quality) but don't know what they are. One has a hole which is covered with rice paper which I think is a ti. One is in the style of a walking stick which is blown from the end. One has a brass reed in it which doesn't seem very authentic and one is a simple 6 hole flute.

If you want to write your songs in musical notation, then the best software is Sibelius; it is used by professional music publishers and gives you good playback of your songs as well as perfect scores. If you want to control electronic instruments or use samples and computer sounds, perhaps with some live recording mixed in, then you are better with Cubase for PC or Logic for Mac.
Which one is the cucurbit flute? I have 4 Chinese flutes of different types (souvenirs not good quality) but don't know what they are. One has a hole which is covered with rice paper which I think is a ti. One is in the style of a walking stick which is blown from the end. One has a brass reed in it which doesn't seem very authentic and one is a simple 6 hole flute.

If you want to write your songs in musical notation, then the best software is Sibelius; it is used by professional music publishers and gives you good playback of your songs as well as perfect scores. If you want to control electronic instruments or use samples and computer sounds, perhaps with some live recording mixed in, then you are better with Cubase for PC or Logic for Mac.

I'm not quite sure about the first two ... If you really want to know just give me more details. The third one sounds like a souna and the last one may be a Xiao...I'm sorry Chinese instruments are so diversified that I only know a small proportion of them. The cucurbit flute is consisted with a calabash and a long flute with 7 holes and two other short flutes on the each side of the longer one.

Thanks for your recommendations. I'm currently using quite fundamental softwares such as guitar pro but I'm really unsatisfied. I'll try.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest