The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My studying for the essay section was basically annotating three poems, getting my sister to test me on them (she read the line of the poem, I recited the annotation) and for the play I did I wrote down a few key quotations and analysis of each of them (I think I had about ten in total) and just kept reading over it.
Tried to write them out without looing back to see what they were, kept them somewhere near the computer so when I was procrastinating, I could look at my quotes at the same time and kid myself that I was working hard.

I didn't really revise much analysis, just hoped that If i knew the quites the analysis would come to me. It did, well at least enough to get me an A.
Reply 3
For my poems I'm just learning each line and what they mean :dontknow: Analysis comes to me naturally and I can tie it in with whatever I'm writing about. Kinda :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow: it about jekyll and hyde, I don't even know any quotes for it :s-smilie:
Reply 4
i did mine in brightly coloured felt tips and come up with amusing names for the critic for example-

Matthew Brucoli becomes Matthew Brocoli : ) with a little picture of veg next to his name, or turn them into a song or just actually engage with and think about them and how the relate to the book/poet/poem/author. The later is the best way i think.
Reply 5
bex285
My studying for the essay section was basically annotating three poems, getting my sister to test me on them (she read the line of the poem, I recited the annotation) and for the play I did I wrote down a few key quotations and analysis of each of them (I think I had about ten in total) and just kept reading over it.

Did you do visiting hour? :colondollar:
Reply 6
Saint
i did mine in brightly coloured felt tips and come up with amusing names for the critic for example-

Matthew Brucoli becomes Matthew Brocoli : ) with a little picture of veg next to his name, or turn them into a song or just actually engage with and think about them and how the relate to the book/poet/poem/author. The later is the best way i think.

Fear not! We don't ask for referenced literary criticism in the essays in Scotland. The analysis is from a personal point of view. Leave the critics for Uni!
I first had a big (few pages) document for each text with lots of notes on analysis and stuff, with quotes inlined. I turned that into just a couple sheets of A4 with quotes under a few bolded themes, with different speakers in different colours to help me remember. Poems I just read to myself over and over, learning a stanza at a time, since I didn't bother memorizing any analysis for them.
Reply 8
Is this AQA English Literature b spec??
glycogen
Is this AQA English Literature b spec??

No, that's why it was posted in Scottish Qualifications.
Reply 10
namedeprived
No, that's why it was posted in Scottish Qualifications.

Ooops, sorry I'm new to studentroom. :redface:
Reply 11
LuhLah
Did you do visiting hour? :colondollar:

Yep :yep:
Reply 12
bex285
Yep :yep:

got any essays :awesome:
Reply 13
LuhLah
got any essays :awesome:

Actually no, stupid me deleted them all on results day :facepalm:
I have an annotated copy of the poem if that's any help?
Reply 14
bex285
Actually no, stupid me deleted them all on results day :facepalm:
I have an annotated copy of the poem if that's any help?

ok lol
Reply 15
LuhLah
ok lol

I'll get it to you soon :smile:
Try writing the quotes on paper or post-it notes and stick them around your room, it works really well :smile:
Reply 17
I recorded them on my phone and listened to them in the gym, ha, how sad :biggrin: Also the usual methods like writing out etc, but i felt listening to them helped me when trying to remember them in the exam hall :smile:
Reply 18
For poetry, I just learn whole poems and annotate which for me is very easy to remember and to use when writing timed essays.

For drama, I just read the whole play again and "thought through" the play and its themes, motifs and characters which causes me to remember lots of relevant quotes relating to the particular feature of the play. My advice would be to never try to desperately learn quotes if you have no idea what relevance they actually have, because then they're just useless words and phrases.

I assume that my way of doing drama also works for the novel, but I won't be revising the novel's quotes at all because we're doing a book which I think has an awful plot, prosaic characters and a horribly dull style.
Reply 19
bex285
I'll get it to you soon :smile:

can you PM me them too please :shy2:

Latest

Trending

Trending