The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You mean what subjects would we recommend to increase your chances of doing a philosophy degree? I'm not sure it's relevent to be honest. It would be a mistake to say 'I'm going to do this degree' and then pick your subjects accordingly. Do subjects you'd enjoy. And then if you'd enjoy philosophy they should be the sort of subjects you need- does that make sense?
I mean, there are no requirements for any philosophy degree I know of so- assuming you'd enjoy Philosophy at Uni- the sorts of things your enthusiastic about now should be the sorts of things that are relevent to philosophy- otherwise philosophy isn't right for you really :smile:
If you really want suggestions to clinch a tie between two subjects then I think probably a good mix of science and arts subjects would benefit- logical thinking mixed with the ability to write and communicate. But if you aren't going to enjoy doing something it isn't worth taking the course I don't think.

As for jobs- not sure to be honest. Academic, something in Bio Ethics or AI or Computer programming/design that kind of thing. Philosophy doesn't really set ypou up to do any specific job. Unlike Medicine for example you do philosophy not for the job at the end but rather almost solely for the experience of doing philosophy. Philosophy isn't a road to something like medicine but rather a small track to nowhere- perhaps along a cliff top with lots of nice views of the sea and blackberry bushes along the way... with a frisbee tucked under you arm... but when you get there you won't kow where you are.
As such you could end up doing almost anything but it probably won't be because you did philosophy but rather because you did a degree unless you want to do one of the small number of philosophy related jobs.

Helped at all?
Reply 2
Random one
First question is:

What subjects would you recommend for this course?

Secondly:

What job prospects are there for a Philosophy student?

:redface:

Hope you can help me with these questions :smile:

You need at least one essay based subject e.g. psychology, history...
If you are doing an BSc Philosophy, physics may be recommended to get your head around the scientific theories and arguments -look at uni prospectuses!
If you want to do a BA, you need lots of humanities.
A philosophy student can potentially have excellent job prospects, managerial positions, journalism, loads of things! But it does depend on what degree score you get.
Reply 3
play_the_world
You need at least one essay based subject e.g. psychology, history...
If you are doing an BSc Philosophy, physics may be recommended to get your head around the scientific theories and arguments -look at uni prospectuses!
If you want to do a BA, you need lots of humanities.
A philosophy student can potentially have excellent job prospects, managerial positions, journalism, loads of things! But it does depend on what degree score you get.

Not necessarily true.

Philosophers can come from all sorts of academic backgrounds. Scientists can be philosophers just as much as (say) historians and you can combine with philosophy with more or less anything you want at Uni. It's just as possible to do Maths and Philosophy as it is to do History and Philosophy.

From what I've seen, you don't need any specific A-levels but obviously an essay writing subject wouldn't hurt since a philosophy degree will undoubtedly require essay writing. For things like maths or physics with philosophy then obviously you need relevant A-levels i.e. maths for maths+phil or maths+phys for phys+phil.
Reply 4
I know someone who did Politics and Philosophy and they really enjoyed it and there was some cross over as far as course content goes.
Reply 5
distortedgav
Not necessarily true.

Philosophers can come from all sorts of academic backgrounds. Scientists can be philosophers just as much as (say) historians and you can combine with philosophy with more or less anything you want at Uni. It's just as possible to do Maths and Philosophy as it is to do History and Philosophy.

From what I've seen, you don't need any specific A-levels but obviously an essay writing subject wouldn't hurt since a philosophy degree will undoubtedly require essay writing. For things like maths or physics with philosophy then obviously you need relevant A-levels i.e. maths for maths+phil or maths+phys for phys+phil.

true that, some of that modal logic stuff is very maths based (i.e. propositional calculus)

mind you i'm probably more of the humanities mold, even though i did varily well at maths at school that was in 1998 (yes i'm getting old)
Reply 6
I reccomend physics and maths. At least I wish my fellow philosophy students at Warwick had studied this at A level. They never cease to amaze me with their ignorant arguements. *sigh*

Latest

Trending

Trending