The Student Room Group
samzurai
I have memorised all the key points in biology nelson thornes textbook and found the Cgp book annoying as it goes into detail on stuff which is breifly explained in nelson thornes?

And after going through nelson thornes I can only manage a c in the jan 09 paper
advice?

Don't think you've gone through the nelson thornes properly then? I used it in detail and made proper notes whilst learning at the same time. I sat the the exam in January 2009 and got 90/100 using Nelson Thornes.

Also, you need a bit of common sense/intelligence. Nelson thornes isn't going to save you on data handling questions or how science works questions of which they were quite a lot of.
Reply 2
overclocked
Don't think you've gone through the nelson thornes properly then? I used it in detail and made proper notes whilst learning at the same time. I sat the the exam in January 2009 and got 90/100 using Nelson Thornes.

Also, you need a bit of common sense/intelligence. Nelson thornes isn't going to save you on data handling questions or how science works questions of which they were quite a lot of.

yh thats were i lose my marks how do i 'prepare' for that i know its common sense but i would really appericiate if you had any tips
samzurai
yh thats were i lose my marks how do i 'prepare' for that i know its common sense but i would really appericiate if you had any tips

Read the whole question carefully and read it twice. Highlight key points and make sure you understand what is actually happening in the graph before you launch into the questions.

You can't reallly 'prepare' for them. Past paper questions from the old spec might help?Otherwise it just boils down to you and your brain.
Reply 4
samzurai

Look through the mark schemes of past papers with 'How Science Works' questions to see what they are looking for.

The Nelson Thornes book is good. If you know everything in there you will do well.
Reply 5
thanks for the speedy replies and helpfull tips! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
also taking BIOL1 next tuesday.. any tips? did last yr's paper, got 53/60.. but i know they always constantly change the questions.. any past paper websites? advice?
Reply 7
chemistryhater
also taking BIOL1 next tuesday.. any tips? did last yr's paper, got 53/60.. but i know they always constantly change the questions.. any past paper websites? advice?

really? i cant seem to get to 80% any tips? for me thanks
Reply 8
Hi, do you know where I could find questions for Biol1, i havae done both a the past papers and did fine , any help@?
samzurai
really? i cant seem to get to 80% any tips? for me thanks

the hardest thing for me was the 'how science works' part.. its hard to apply your common sense to the question.. and the paper is about 60% content and 40% application.. application is hard .. it includes interpreting graphs, along with using common sense.. past paper practice perfects your ability of interpreting graphs but i know the paper on tuesday is going to be different .. there always different..

good luck and if u need any help.. message me

hope i helped mate
:smile:
Reply 10
well i just did the jan09 paper and got 33/60 so yous are all off to a better start than i :smile:
Reply 11
funsize17
well i just did the jan09 paper and got 33/60 so yous are all off to a better start than i :smile:

there is another thread with resources relating to this exam check it out
Reply 12
samzurai
there is another thread with resources relating to this exam check it out

oh thanks
sum1 post me the link with resources for AQA BIOL1 plz :smile:
thank u all
Reply 14
im in the same position as you, read the nelson thornes book, all the theory bit, and came out with a C, 68/100 ums, really dissapointed. But, i realised i ignored the how science works bit, which the new exams are full of it, so re-sitting in june, and hopefully getting an A!
Reply 15
yh i got an A acutally my advice is read the question 4 times and relate it!, it is easy and for learn generic rules it helps

Latest

Trending

Trending