The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Emmaross - I'm very sad that if you get a place at Oxford you won't accept it because of financial worries!! Just proves that the best unis are for the rich, eh? I think you would love Oxford - but also Exeter - in the end wherever you study it is great being a student but as Oh Hi says - think of the advantage of having Oxford on your CV!! Uni is for 3-4 years - the uni on your CV is there for life!!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 61
Thanks for all the advice guys - it's been really helpful!! Xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by andy12691
Bristol, Durham and Warwick are only three uni that might be actually better than Exeter IMO :p:
The ranking table might not be exactly right, but it does mean something :biggrin:

No I'd say St Andrews and Edinburgh too.
Reply 63
Original post by xSkyFire
Exeter is a fairly good uni, I'd say it's better than QMUL but slightly below Bristol.

So would you say it's better than KCL? I'm stuck between the two for physics.

(Oh yeah and sorry for kind of digressing :colondollar: )
Furthermore, Exeter University is highly up there amongst the 'targeted universities' by top law firms including Magic Circle. I recently got back from Hogan Lovells Open Day and the graduate recruiter specifically hosted the day for Exeter students. She was also quite enthusiastic about the university and its rising reputation. Here is another example of a 'target list' from Norton Rose.

http://www.nortonrosegraduates.com/en/united-kingdom/join-norton-rose/university-managers

and in terms of bioscience, there is an interesting article on how Exeter is now 5th in the country whereas it was 25th last year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/higher-education-network/blog/2012/jun/12/exeter-university-rankings

Hope this helps all potential Exeter students! :smile:
Any opinions on the Economics course at Exeter now compared with the likes of York and Nottingham?

Thanks x
Exeter's reputation is certainly equal to Nottigham's. It's on par with Durham, Warwick, KCL and Bristol actually. It's an excellent university, even more so now that it has joined the Russel Group.
Reply 67
Original post by Birkenhead
So much of this hyping Exeter going on from its undergrads. Are they paying you guys? Within the RG, (which you might want to learn to spell correctly), Exeter is distinctly middling. It occupies a no-man's land between the likes of Sheffield and Leeds and the ones you mentioned. It's not as great as you keep bashing on about.

That's funny coming from a Bristol guy :wink:
Exeter is on par with Bristol, Durham and Bath. I've had offers from Bristol and Bath and still picked Exeter for Economics. It is a campus way nicer than bath's and bristol facilities. I attended open days for all these unis and academically the differences are negligible. I ended up picking Exeter for quality of life.

They're all in the same league.
Reply 68
Exeter looks nice.
Bristol undoubtedly outstrips Exeter.

Funny how you start by saying that Bristol is "slightely more reputable than Exeter, before saying that the latter "outstrips" it. You keep repeating about how much we over-hype Exeter but you have the obsession of trying to belittle the university by any means. My guess is that there must be a particular reason for you to hate Exeter so much.

Quality of life is incredibly subjective and vague, but most students will find their needs and tastes better served in the busiest and richest city in the South-West

As you stated, quality of life is extremely subjective and should absolutely not determine the quality of teaching nor reputation of a university. And saying that everyone prefers bigger, busiest cities is also very inaccurate.
Reply 70
My niece went to Brustol and my son to Exeter; son was totally happy at Exeter but their needs were very different. She, very academic and into clubs and music, he fairly academic and got a good degree but much more Into sport and the outdoor life. Found Bristol strangely ugly though the students all love it! Exeter very green and leafy with the most trees per student of any campus! Amazing new Forum building and much nicer accommodation. As for jobs, straw poll of their friends shows not much difference job wise. Depends on your course and how hard you work too. Biosciences far more interesting at Exeter with many more options t han Bristol, eg a years industrial placement OR a year at a foreign university whereas Bristol is a straight three years with no options.
Look very carefully at your course before choosing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Man I am not an Exonian, nor am I a troll. However, having many friends who attended both institutions, I still believe that they are pretty equal in nearly everything: reputation, job prospects, student experience and academic level. I don't believe that there is one that beats the other.

They are both excellent places to study and if one must choose, it has to be according to their personal preferences in terms of place to live, and not according to which one is better ranked.
Reply 72
The difference being I haven't said anything out of sync about Bristol, whereas he has overhyped Exeter.

How would an open day allow you to asses the academics of an institution? If you're after a fairly bog-standard graduate job, then yes, they are all in the same league. But the higher up you go the more important the gap that does exist between the likes of Exeter and Bristol in the eyes of employers becomes. I stand by what I said. Durham and Bristol are slightly more reputable than Exeter, though I would say it is on a par with Bath.

Other things come into the equation that will also affect your grad chances, such as how targeted it is, how good the facilities and teaching are and the like. In these areas, Bristol undoubtedly outstrips Exeter.

Quality of life is incredibly subjective and vague, but most students will find their needs and tastes better served in the busiest and richest city in the South-West.

I don't know how you can think that Exeter's campus is 'way nicer' than Bristol. I've always found campus universities ugly. Rather artificial and segregated from the wider community. Bristol seems to have much more history and soul to it than glass-plate and concrete dominated Exeter.

Here are some of the first images from Google that come up for each uni. I haven't tried to skew it in Bristol's favour, but it presents an interesting contrast.

Bristol
160410111941--Bristol University organises golf competition for students and staff.jpg392550466_640.jpgbristol_alamy_2528322b.jpgaccesstolaw.jpgwills.jpg

Exeter
University.jpgIMG_8206SRM_03____Main.jpg2435038_94b2a5ad.jpg1291911969-exeter-university-student-occupation_531956.jpgIMG_6134A.jpg

Maybe it's just me. Perhaps you just have very different aesthetic tastes. But I think if we're really honest with ourselves here, we can both agree that while Bristol gives off an aura of history and class, Exeter looks comparatively depressing and uninspired.

'Some of the 'first few images that come up'.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Reply 73
And there was me thinking your debating couldn't get any worse.

Look for yourself if you don't believe me. The Exeter campus really is that inferior!

I googled for pictures of the campus, and you have so obviously picked the most unflattering pictures of Exeter you could find - there are some beautiful buildings on its campus. I tried to post some, but it wouldn't let me. It seems that there is almost universal consensus that Exeter's campus is - at the very least - attractive, so whatever your thoughts on its other merits are, I think you need to concede this one.
Reply 74
I say it is a wannabee, pretender university which tries to con those in thinking they are great

Original post by Ben Kenobi
Exeter looks nice.

But you CV will not

Look for yourself if you don't believe me. The Exeter campus really is that inferior!

It does not matter

Exeter had to lick anuses to get into RG but is still far off the rewards that accompany it
Original post by BOtish
I say it is a wannabee, pretender university which tries to con those in thinking they are great

And I say you are a "wannabe", "pretender" troll who thinks he is hilarious.

Original post by BOtish
Exeter had to lick anuses to get into RG but is still far off the rewards that accompany it

Cool! You wanna lick mine now? :wink:
Reply 76
Sorry, but from what I've seen, it's revolting. It's very easy to post pictures. Go to the media with a square picture with a tree in on the navbar or whatever. Unless you're just making excuses? I honestly chose some of the first few I could find, and you'll see that I also tried to correlate the pictures with parallels; libraries, lectures etc. It's as close to being a controlled experiment as it could be, and Exeter comes out thoroughly on bottom, contrary to what you said earlier.

What I said was that, by consensus, Exeter has an attractive campus. I am at a loss to understand how you think your opinion and your 'controlled' google images 'experiment' does anything to disprove that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9523401/Britains-most-beautiful-universities.html

http://uk.askmen.com/top_10/entertainment/top-10-university-campuses-for-men_4.html
I, for my part, cannot understand how you can look at the image comparisons I made above and still maintain that Exeter is more attractive a campus, if it is attractive at all, than Bristol.

Thanks for talking about your part. I personally hate old architecture and can't stand the look of Bristol. So I cannot understand how you can still maintain that Bristol is more attractive
university_exeter_forum_i030512_tp2.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 78
Where can we find the quantification of this consensus? And why is the opinion of a writer in a newspaper more valid than mine? And you realise Bristol is equally part of this selection as Exeter? I, for my part, cannot understand how you can look at the image comparisons I made above and still maintain that Exeter is more attractive a campus, if it is attractive at all, than Bristol.

Because those images do not reflect what Exeter's campus is like.
I don't give a **** about prestige, I can't wait to go to Exeter.

Latest

Trending

Trending