The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why not? I think it's a good idea personally.
They should. Painful as it is everyone should have a basic level (and it is basic) of at least one foreign language. Why Labour thought it should be dropped when the knowledge economy is seen to be so important by them themselves and there is an increasingly global economy is beyond me.
My teacher ruined the enjoyment of learning French for me. I was gonna take it further at A level but was just not confident enough in it to. I was completely lucky in the exam!! Ridiculous luck on tick boxes FTW :biggrin: (Was predicted and expecting B :p: )

But still, I think it should be compulsory, as much as I hated it and didn't actually learn the language; only the very basics, memorising sentences for the oral and getting my fluent-French friend to help me with coursework :biggrin:

If I could go back I'd work harder at it though. It's such a great, impressive skill to have. May have another crack at it later on in life at my own pace.

My school changed their rules this year though; year 7s starting out do both German and French, with optional Latin afterschool lessons and optional Spanish in year 9. Then in year 10 they HAVE to take at least one language for GCSE. I think that's a good thing.
Um, the only uni I've heard about doing this is UCL for the 2012 entry (for medicine as well).
Reply 44
Hmm.. I did French for 6 years, and I don't think another 2 years at GCSE would have actually given me any better of a grasp of the language, since I can barely remember a word of it now. My school was really lax on languages though, they weren't compulsory at GCSE (which I think would have to change if foreign languages were to become a demand - university entry requirements did not cross my mind at all when choosing my GCSE's, so it would leave someone in such position at a disadvantage to then be told "lolsorry, should have thought about that 3 years ago" ). Actually, my school was pretty lax on everything, but there you go.

Besides, I find learning languages to be a massive pain-in-the-arse chore anyway, I took no enjoyment in it whatsoever. And it's not like a GCSE level language leaves you with any degree of fluency anyway - just "I live <here>, I like ice cream, I would like to buy an ice cream".. yeah.
Reply 45
I think it's an amazing idea tbh.

Sometimes Spanish is like learning General Studies and basic Chemistry in different languages.
Reply 46
Wanischa
I think it's an amazing idea tbh.

Sometimes Spanish is like learning General Studies and basic Chemistry in different languages.

Err.. what? I don't really see the connection.
Reply 47
phen
Err.. what? I don't really see the connection.

We have to learn about energy resources and where they come from etc. With general studies is the whole immigration things.

It's not hard to see the connection really.
Nyet
Everybody at university should have a reasonable grasp of a foreign language. It's utterly shameful not to, like being unable to drive.

I agree with you that as a nation, we should have more knowledge of foreign languages - personally, I'm well versed in French and German and can figure my way through Latin and Greek ... but the amount of people who look confused when I say something like "c'est vrai" or "gesundheit" is astounding (I'll forgive not knowing 'meus fabula est mei ut dico.' :P)

However, as a non-driver who not only quit five minutes into her first driving lesson but also failed a motorbike CBT five times, I've never found being unable to drive particularly shameful.
Reply 49
TheSownRose
I agree with you that as a nation, we should have more knowledge of foreign languages - personally, I'm well versed in French and German and can figure my way through Latin and Greek ... but the amount of people who look confused when I say something like "c'est vrai" or "gesundheit" is astounding (I'll forgive not knowing 'meus fabula est mei ut dico.' :P)

However, as a non-driver who not only quit five minutes into her first driving lesson but also failed a motorbike CBT five times, I've never found being unable to drive particularly shameful.

How on earth did you fail a motorbike CBT ffs? And you don't know if you'll be any good at driving if you take that attitude to it. Frigging ridiculous.
Reply 50
Wanischa
We have to learn about energy resources and where they come from etc. With general studies is the whole immigration things.

It's not hard to see the connection really.

Really? Personally, I've rarely learned something not directly related to German(y) when studying it.
Our school basically led us to believe this was going to happen anyway and so no one was allowed to drop a language and we were given examples of people who couldn't get into the uni course because they'd failed GCSE French, and I don't see it as a bad thing. It's not as if they're demanding an A level standard of knowledge.
To be fair, it's only a GCSE. They're not exactly difficult to get at least a C in. I hated french GCSE, was useless at it, and managed to get an A* by learning tenses and a bit of vocab. Now I can't speak it at all, and I'm only 19 now. Just do a GCSE, do the foundation exams if you have to; they're easy-peasy and you can get a C in them.
Nyet
How on earth did you fail a motorbike CBT ffs? And you don't know if you'll be any good at driving if you take that attitude to it. Frigging ridiculous.

I never said I was no good at driving. I didn't like it - being stuffed into a car, having to watch out for other idiot drivers... Give me a bicycle any day.

As for the CBT fail, I will tentatively said I am not good at that.
Reply 54
I would support this.

Now, if only the language education system didn't suck utter balls. Hmm.
916-CALL-TURK
I hate Caecillius with a passion :mad:

I'm sorry but Metella was smoking hot....I would tap that any day :biggrin: :p:
infernalcradle
I'm sorry but Metella was smoking hot....I would tap that any day :biggrin: :p:

But Quintus est in Metella :rolleyes:
916-CALL-TURK
But Quintus est in Metella :rolleyes:

Touche
Reply 58
phen
Really? Personally, I've rarely learned something not directly related to German(y) when studying it.

I don't know maybe German is different :/
Reply 59
TheSownRose

im :snow::snow::snow::snow: at languages so its a :snow::snow::snow::snow: idea but how can u fail a cbt, i learned to ride a bike when i was 13 i dont understand how anyone can fail the basics and you quit driving after 5 mins WTF u may be gifted at languages but you have a proper defeatist attitude to driving. 5 mins u shud be ashamed.

what degree are you doing btw?

Latest

Trending

Trending