The Student Room Group

Need help to decipher a map

I plan on going to Bosnia late 2010 as I have mentioned on the travel forum, however I have been told about the dangers and already knew about the recent wars that have scarred the country.

This map is 7 years old but is this really a large concentration of landmines near Sarajevo? Or does it just look large because I have never had to worry about landmines before?
Reply 1
You're not going to be walking through random farm fields and unmarked paths in the woods are you? If you're sticking the population centres, I doubt you'll run into any troubles. Most of the areas where there are known to be mines but yet to cleared will be marked with warning signs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the land surrounding Sarajevo was mined during the troubles to deter would be land invasions. But as I said it's unlikely you'll be running into trouble.
Reply 2
fire2burn
You're not going to be walking through random farm fields and unmarked paths in the woods are you? If you're sticking the population centres, I doubt you'll run into any troubles. Most of the areas where there are known to be mines but yet to cleared will be marked with warning signs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the land surrounding Sarajevo was mined during the troubles to deter would be land invasions. But as I said it's unlikely you'll be running into trouble.

I've read about the warning signs and the removal of a large amount of land mines, I'm just curious about my chances of actually coming across them.

Is it almost impossible that i'd walk onto one that hasn't been found if I'm just staying in Sarajevo?

Last thing I want is to lose a leg or worse :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending