The Student Room Group

Help with Finding A Related Job

Ok.... here goes....

I had a unit @ uni last term where I had to find a job advert relevant to my degree (Disaster Risk Managament) and then analyse it and write a targetted cv and covering letter for it. In true me style I couldnt do it :frown:

Firstly does anyone have any idea where i might be able to find job adverts that are relevant to my field, emergency planning/business continutity etc that graduates could apply for? Cos they all seem to need 2 years experience which, I obviously dont have yet.

And also how do I sell the work I have done? I seem to be rather useless at selling myself :frown:

Can anyone help me?
Reply 1
well what do you actually do in disaster risk management?
Reply 2
Have you tried going through the journals relevant to your course, and also company websites who'd be relevant employers?
Reply 3
viviki
well what do you actually do in disaster risk management?

Bit of everything...

Disaster Vulnerability & Risk, International Relations - Global Issues, The Climatic System, Global Environmental Management, Inst. & Policy, Oceanography, International Relations - States, Conflict & Cooperation, Quantitative Methods, Introduction to Economics, Engineering Communications, Data Analysis, Probability & Forecasting, Introduction to GIS, Disaster Studies, Conflict & Disaster, Policy & Economics of Development, Introduction to Environmental Management, Seismology, Volcanology

List of all my 1st and 2nd year units!!

Ideally i wanna go into emergency planning side of things
Reply 4
Prad
Have you tried going through the journals relevant to your course, and also company websites who'd be relevant employers?

journals.... hmmm ill have a looksie.... :smile:
Reply 5
bouncy
Bit of everything...

Disaster Vulnerability & Risk, International Relations - Global Issues, The Climatic System, Global Environmental Management, Inst. & Policy, Oceanography, International Relations - States, Conflict & Cooperation, Quantitative Methods, Introduction to Economics, Engineering Communications, Data Analysis, Probability & Forecasting, Introduction to GIS, Disaster Studies, Conflict & Disaster, Policy & Economics of Development, Introduction to Environmental Management, Seismology, Volcanology

List of all my 1st and 2nd year units!!

Ideally i wanna go into emergency planning side of things

Just did an Internet search for you. There is an Emergency Planning Society in the UK. Site has a list of job opportunities, also some other information that may be useful. Might be good as a starting point:

http://www.emergplansoc.org.uk/

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
Peach
Just did an Internet search for you. There is an Emergency Planning Society in the UK. Site has a list of job opportunities, also some other information that may be useful. Might be good as a starting point:

http://www.emergplansoc.org.uk/

Hope this helps :smile:

Lol yeh im a member of them, the jobs on there are too experienced :frown: most need 2 yrs experience

edit to add: although i have just found one on there perhaps....
http://www.emergplansoc.org.uk/data/files/CDC_EPO040705.doc

hmmm investigates further.... wonder if that will be ok

Thanks tho :smile:
Reply 7
when i did a finance course last summer, there were people employed to carry out risk assessments and continuity plans in case of emergencies. there are graduate positions for those available and internships too? if that's the right area your degree looks at. the big 4 banks would probably have jobs in ummmm i can't remember the name of the job description, the websites would be more helpful though! i was at citigroup.

Latest

Trending

Trending