The Student Room Group

IOT - Initial Officer Training

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
So who actually has a place on No1 Course. Im starting on it, as is a mate of mine from space cadets. Anyone else? Any pilots? Any scholars?
Reply 21
REME-Bod
Where'd you source this gem of info?

A journal I shouldn't be able to get my hand on as an applicant. :wink:
Just ask anyone on the current IOT for gen.
Just thought this might be worth putting up. It was taken from the 'Joining Up Instructions' prior to No. 1 IOT in November, hope it helps.
Reply 24
ground hugger
Just thought this might be worth putting up. It was taken from the 'Joining Up Instructions' prior to No. 1 IOT in November, hope it helps.

That's fab, Ta Groundhugger
Reply 25
valu

The leadership styles taught are also going to change, introducing "empowered leadership" as well as "action centred leadership"...any guesses as to the real meaning of this...mine is that it's more about the leader "empowering" team members to be more involved in decision-making/planning...

The 'empowered leadership' style you're asking about is 'Mission Command'. The new IOT course introduces the principles and application of 'Mission Command' - not a new concept, but very much a key focus in the RAF at present.

Mission Command will be introduced in Term 2 - a google search for Mission Command and the Prussian concept Auftragstatik will yield results worthy of study if you want to know more.
Reply 26
Also worth checking out the web for details of the "Leading in an Empowered Organisation" or LEO course which a lot of big companies (including the NHS) are sending their staff on. One of the questions on my board interview was " What is the difference between leadership and management?".... food for thought chaps and chapesses!
Reply 27
lifepak
Also worth checking out the web for details of the "Leading in an Empowered Organisation" or LEO course which a lot of big companies (including the NHS) are sending their staff on. One of the questions on my board interview was " What is the difference between leadership and management?".... food for thought chaps and chapesses!

I imagine you're quite right, but would recommend people think about what the *military* perspective regarding these subjects is.

The RAF published a fantastic book - "Air Power Leadership - Theory and Practice" - a reference text on current thinking. If you can get hold of a copy, it's well worth reading in detail.

One of the essays is "Leadership, Management and Command - the Officer's Trinity" by Howieson and Kahn - required reading, particularly because the nature of command is not a topic addressed within civilian industry.

The "British Defence Doctrine" is available for download as a .pdf on the internet - well worth reading also regarding these issues.
Reply 28
Good luck to all those preparing for No.1 IOT!

Just got a question about it though:

I've heard the 'IOT Laptop' rumour a few times now and to be honest, I'm extremely sceptical about it.

Does anyone have any more details about the IT facilities on the new IOT courses? If there's going to be data lines in the rooms then I'd consider getting a laptop if I get in, and hence, would like to start saving for one (unless of course this magical rumour about the issued laptops happens to be true). On the other hand is there just going to be internet access from one or two communial pc's in the buildings?
Whilst on my Fam. Visit work was being undertaken and new computers (desktops, not laptops) were being installed in every room. These, from what I understand will give access to the local Intranet!! There is, however, a seperate computer lab in the building with Internet access aswell as flat screen panels for presentations etc.

All the rooms in College Hall were undergoing the same refurb.

Cheers,

GH.

p.s My advice is no need to buy a laptop, save up and buy a car instead!! You'll find out what I mean during a Fam.Visit.
Reply 30
Thanks Groundhugger

So I'm assuming there's no internet in the actual rooms then - just intranet. What's the betting the pc's in the rooms have dvd drives?

I'm assuming that the car is to store stuff in like clothes and a duvet? Already got one of those! But I've heard that people will go and buy a £50 M.O.T failure, park it at Cranwell for 6 months and put all their junk in it!
Reply 31
Lol.

The intranet will let you access the internet, just means that it's on a network.

Mark
Reply 32
Possibly a silly question...

During IOT are you entitled to a married quarter? I know it's communal living for the first 10 weeks, but thereafter what is the official stance?

I've tried the AFCOs and even some of the key personnel at Cranwell, but the information I get is always a bit sketchy. ( A lot of supposition and opinion but very little hard, documented policy).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Will ask Wzz when he gets back from the bar REME. He has told me I just can't remember! I believe that you can.
Reply 34
BlackHawk
Will ask Wzz when he gets back from the bar REME. He has told me I just can't remember! I believe that you can.

So he's in the bar...and you're locked away in a darkened room with no company apart from a computer... I'm surprised he let you out of the kitchen! :rolleyes:
Boys need time to be boys :wink:

I like my quiet time too...

That and the vodka he's bringing back :wink:
Reply 36
djmarkmclachlan
Lol.

The intranet will let you access the internet, just means that it's on a network.

Mark

In a way, best way to say it is Intranet is the internal on base site, nobody can see it from outside the internal network :smile:

Internet is really the term for pages viewable by everyone on the net
--------------
GemmaLS
Thanks Groundhugger

So I'm assuming there's no internet in the actual rooms then - just intranet. What's the betting the pc's in the rooms have dvd drives?

I'm assuming that the car is to store stuff in like clothes and a duvet? Already got one of those! But I've heard that people will go and buy a £50 M.O.T failure, park it at Cranwell for 6 months and put all their junk in it!

:mad: Wont be having that with my car!! Its a bit too precious for being a junk pile!
Ground hugger said no need to buy a laptop and get a car instead,. oh well, got both, so both will come :biggrin:
Reply 37
cool - we have intranet at work that you can't see from the outside - but I've know of places where you can't access the internet through it (it's been disabled so that people don't sit on the big brother site all day or something.
Gemma, my inbox is cleared now if you want to try re-sending that PM. :smile:
Reply 39
GemmaLS
cool - we have intranet at work that you can't see from the outside - but I've know of places where you can't access the internet through it (it's been disabled so that people don't sit on the big brother site all day or something.

Yeah, my works like that, but it has funny moments, ive got an ID that gives me a near full access to the pc and it usualy has spats of letting me look at some external sites (although i'll only ever look at our news channels site, dont get into crap for looking at that one :smile: )and times it will say, Its barred

Quick Reply

Latest