The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

anyone got any thoughts on this book

http://www.medicprint.com/Product-Color-Atlas-of-Anatomy-A-Photographic-Study-of-the-Human-Body_214463.aspx by Rohen, Johannes W.; Lutjen-Drecoll, Elke; Yokochi, Chichiro.

Was recommended by my anatomy tutor but is not on our booklist. Would like to buy something for home as have Gray's and Moore as e-books.
(edited 12 years ago)
I was thinking lippincotts biochem v stryers biochem ..any suggestions from anyone who's used both? Thanks
Reply 182
Original post by englishman129
I was thinking lippincotts biochem v stryers biochem ..any suggestions from anyone who's used both? Thanks

Depends how much detail you want. Personally I'd start with Lippincott's and then, should it be necessary, move up to Stryer.
Original post by Kinkerz
Depends how much detail you want. Personally I'd start with Lippincott's and then, should it be necessary, move up to Stryer.

Thanks! :smile: I've taken out lippincotts - i really like it!
Original post by englishman129

I'm not familiar with Imperial's first year biochem requirements, but Lippincotts had plenty of detail for me. It was one of the very few books that I actually bought. As Kinkerz said, you can always move up if you feel like you need more. I don't think Lippincotts will carry me through my scary big molecular medicine module in semester 4.
Reply 185
HEY GUYS.

I am currently in year 1 at GKT medicine. I just want to ask about textbooks for year 2?

Do I need a textbook for genetics? Which books would you recommend for neuroanatomy and neuroscience?

Thanks.
Reply 186
stop making multiple threads.
Most people here are applicants not current students.
Reply 187
Agree with .eXe. Also, why don't you ask someone in year 2 at GKT? I'm sure someone in the program will know much more about what textbooks are worth buying than a bunch of applicants.
You'd be be better posting this in the current medical students sub-forum.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=356

There is also a guide to textbooks within there which ay give you the answer

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1137688

just ask a moderator to move this post...
Original post by newdoc
HEY GUYS.

I am currently in year 1 at GKT medicine. I just want to ask about textbooks for year 2?

Do I need a textbook for genetics? Which books would you recommend for neuroanatomy and neuroscience?

Thanks.

Tbh the lecture notes will suffice for the most part, especially for genetics.

All I'd recommend really (and I'm sure most will agree), is neuroanatomy by crossman and neary. Excellent concise book.
Original post by newdoc
HEY GUYS.

Thanks.

Are the first year exams over already?! Anyway, I used neuro anatomy by crossman, neuro anatomy made ridiculously simple & for genetics I used genetics at a glance.
Reply 191
Cynical Acumen, by John Larkin.

It's a clinical skills book with a very different inflection to Macleod's etc.
I think it's absolutely brilliant. No nonsense and hilarious. Full of excellent tips for passing OSCEs and for real life situations.

Genuinely can't recommend it enough.
Reply 192
I was wondering do I need a textbook for Histology as a medical student or will borrowing from the library be enough?. Also What are the best Histology books?
Reply 193
Original post by aj2010
I was wondering do I need a textbook for Histology as a medical student or will borrowing from the library be enough?. Also What are the best Histology books?

I like buying the core textbooks because I like writing in them and annotating them, but I've had a couple of histology texts out from the library all year and they've been fine. Histology isn't really an annotating-for-understanding kind of subject, you just look at the picture and try and work out what things are. The library is fine for a histology text imo, but I couldn't really use Boron without decimating it with highlighters.
Hey, has anyone heard of/seen/got this? We were emailed about it the other day and I was thinking of getting it. :smile:
Hey, any good MCQ/EMQ books for first year clinical exams?
Original post by dances_with_lamposts
Hey, has anyone heard of/seen/got this? We were emailed about it the other day and I was thinking of getting it. :smile:

It is very good, but not as detailed as a Clinical Examination book.

But does go through the OSCE stations quite well. I like OSCE at a Glance slightly better though.

But they are essentially the same.
Original post by Isometrix
Hey, any good MCQ/EMQ books for first year clinical exams?

Pastest 300 SBA Questions for Medical and Surgical Finals

Or

500 Single Best Answers in Medicine
Anyone got any opinions on this book? Thinking of getting it:

Reply 199
Original post by Isometrix
Anyone got any opinions on this book? Thinking of getting it:

The mark schemes in it are great for practicing.

Latest

Trending

Trending