The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BakedBeanz
Physiology by Costanzo- I found it when googling "best physiology book" and apparently it's hailed in America- for good reason though, I absolutely love it :biggrin: I'm assuming things are the same in other medical schools where you're really pushed for time trying to cover anatomy and physiology of a system in way too brief a time, so while things like Guyton are nice to use, imo there physically is not time to realistically plough through that many pages and understand the concepts! Costanzo hits the balance beautifully, and being written with med students in mind, the physiology is linked to pathophysiology, or to equations used in clinical practice. I can't recommend this book enough, it's written in a light-hearted way that makes reading it a genuine pleasure. :smile: Since they use it in America I'm assuming the level of detail would be sufficient for most med schools here too, I've definitely found it to be the right level for me at least!

Just had a quick look on amazon at this, does look good!
so while things like Guyton are nice to use, imo there physically is not time to realistically plough through that many pages and understand the concepts!

I remember in 1st year my physiology tutor bought me a copy of Boron and Boulpaep - some serious ploughing needed there :lol:
Physiology by Costanzo- I found it when googling "best physiology book" and apparently it's hailed in America- for good reason though, I absolutely love it :biggrin: I'm assuming things are the same in other medical schools where you're really pushed for time trying to cover anatomy and physiology of a system in way too brief a time, so while things like Guyton are nice to use, imo there physically is not time to realistically plough through that many pages and understand the concepts! Costanzo hits the balance beautifully, and being written with med students in mind, the physiology is linked to pathophysiology, or to equations used in clinical practice. I can't recommend this book enough, it's written in a light-hearted way that makes reading it a genuine pleasure. :smile: Since they use it in America I'm assuming the level of detail would be sufficient for most med schools here too, I've definitely found it to be the right level for me at least!

I second this! I'm currently using it to explain certain concepts which were not fully covered in sessions and best used for revision as well.
It's definitely a book for bedtime and the questions with detailed answers were helpful In testing my understanding. :biggrin:
Original post by Jckc123
I second this! I'm currently using it to explain certain concepts which were not fully covered in sessions and best used for revision as well.
It's definitely a book for bedtime and the questions with detailed answers were helpful In testing my understanding. :biggrin:

In my pre exam panic I bought it last night, arrives today:colondollar:
Have yet to find a physiology textbook that I really like yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha.
Can't wait for exams to be over.
All the best for your ESA. :biggrin:

I usually use the Internet but now I mostly rely on the book first beforehand. :tongue:
Original post by Jckc123
Hahaha.
Can't wait for exams to be over.
All the best for your ESA. :biggrin:

I usually use the Internet but now I mostly rely on the book first beforehand. :tongue:

Thanks, but I have a feeling it's not going to go well!!

Good luck with yours

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guyton fan club checking in
Original post by manic_fuzz
I remember in 1st year my physiology tutor bought me a copy of Boron and Boulpaep - some serious ploughing needed there :lol:

Haha wow, poor first year you! In fairness I do like Boron, but I tried using it in semester 1 and I just wasn't covering everything I needed to in time! :frown: It's better as a reference book I think :biggrin:

Original post by Jckc123

Hahah woo, Costanzo love! :biggrin: Am yet to meet another student who uses it! *high five*. It's definitely good for concepts, had so many "ah-ha" moments with it! Another awesome thing about Costanzo, they reference it in this song at around 55 seconds in :laugh:

[video="youtube;Mrlnh3vebSc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrlnh3vebSc[/video]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh, that's exciting, let me know what you think of it!! :biggrin: Good luck with revision and exams!!
Haha wow, poor first year you! In fairness I do like Boron, but I tried using it in semester 1 and I just wasn't covering everything I needed to in time! :frown: It's better as a reference book I think :biggrin:

Hahah woo, Costanzo love! :biggrin: Am yet to meet another student who uses it! *high five*. It's definitely good for concepts, had so many "ah-ha" moments with it! Another awesome thing about Costanzo, they reference it in this song at around 55 seconds in :laugh:

[video="youtube;Mrlnh3vebSc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrlnh3vebSc[/video]

Oooh, that's exciting, let me know what you think of it!! :biggrin: Good luck with revision and exams!!

Thanks, I'm going to need it!!

Still waiting for royal mail to bring it, so revision sociology instead... Mind numbing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, I'm going to need it!!

Still waiting for royal mail to bring it, so revision sociology instead... Mind numbing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sociologyyy...

My nightmare haha. Screening...Lay beliefs... Audits..

High-five! :biggrin:
Cool song haha.
Original post by Jckc123
Sociologyyy...

My nightmare haha. Screening...Lay beliefs... Audits..

Its the grads' current most hated module. I did a couple of hours of reading over the HadSoc notes and that is all the time I am going to dedicate to it. I think we're all a bit bitter because of the way it was taught.

Are you ready for Monday, because I am not!!
Its the grads' current most hated module. I did a couple of hours of reading over the HadSoc notes and that is all the time I am going to dedicate to it. I think we're all a bit bitter because of the way it was taught.

Are you ready for Monday, because I am not!!

Don't worry, I believed it's the whole cohort's most hated module haha.
I think a day before to run through key point should be sufficient hmm..

I'll never be ready for any exams in med school. HAHAH.
Just hope the questions won't be too mind boggling.
Original post by Jckc123
Don't worry, I believed it's the whole cohort's most hated module haha.
I think a day before to run through key point should be sufficient hmm..

I'll never be ready for any exams in med school. HAHAH.
Just hope the questions won't be too mind boggling.

Ditto! I've heard bad things about repro though:unimpressed:
Ditto! I've heard bad things about repro though:unimpressed:

Yeah... But I heard they won't ask much on pathology which is a good thing since having
the last two sessions on cancers were just dreadful.
Original post by Jckc123
Yeah... But I heard they won't ask much on pathology which is a good thing since having
the last two sessions on cancers were just dreadful.

Yeah the repro cancer sesssions were awful, the group work expected us to be histo-pathologists or something :s-smilie:
Going into 3rd year, is it viable to use pdf's of each textbook? Which textbooks are would benefit from print copies?
Original post by Tan Theta
Going into 3rd year, is it viable to use pdf's of each textbook? Which textbooks are would benefit from print copies?

Pretty much every textbook I have is a PDF- we've had 2 days a week of placement through 2nd year and using PDFs has been perfect- if you fancy doing an unplanned few hours of studying, you don't have to worry about lugging around heavy textbooks because it's all on your 800g iPad/tablet! You can also do reading while waiting for the consultant, on the bus etc.
Pretty much every textbook I have is a PDF- we've had 2 days a week of placement through 2nd year and using PDFs has been perfect- if you fancy doing an unplanned few hours of studying, you don't have to worry about lugging around heavy textbooks because it's all on your 800g iPad/tablet! You can also do reading while waiting for the consultant, on the bus etc.

Cheers, does using iBooks do the job or are there better apps to read from?
Original post by Tan Theta
Cheers, does using iBooks do the job or are there better apps to read from?

I have an android so I don't know what iBooks is like, but the two things I looked for when I was deciding on an app is if it has an option to open the book at a certain chapter (or even better, subset of a chapter), and if you could have "tabs" of books open so you could flick between them. I use Xodo on my android, but I can imagine all the apps are pretty similar!

Latest

Trending

Trending