The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Fission_Mailed
That's nice. :biggrin:

I did manage to get a biochem book out, but I'm not sure I like it.:confused:

Some of the monster biochemistry books go into loads of detail when you're just initially getting to grips with the subject. I'd recommend going for a lighter textbook (the Lippincott's book) and working up (Stryer).

EDIT -

And you might find that a lot of the time, you've done enough depth with the lighter textbook.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 101
Infection and Immunity - J. Playfair and G. Bancroft

Seems to cover everything you'll need, having an ideal amount of detail; it's not overloading, but it doesn't seem to omit any of the important material. The diagrams are really good and easy to understand (no (or at least very few) enormous, page-filling, intimidating mindmaps with arrows and cytokines et c. flying everywhere). I really like it. Certainly the best immunology textbook I've come across.

Not sure what I'd score it out of ten - it's pretty subjective - but personally: a good 8/8.5 or so.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 102
For Biochem I'd suggest VVP - it looks big and intimidating, but takes you through the process....
Reply 103
Pharmacology.

Principles of Pharmacology, The Pathophysiologic Basis of Drug Therapy - Golan, Tashjian, Armstrong and Armstrong.

This is the most superior pharmacology textbook I've come across. It seems to explain things that others don't (even R&Ds), but in a concise and readable manner. Useful diagrams too.
I will say though, if lots of different colours and wacky pages help you, this might not be great for you. The text is all black and the diagrams are mostly in blue.
(edited 13 years ago)
Kinkerz
Some of the monster biochemistry books go into loads of detail when you're just initially getting to grips with the subject. I'd recommend going for a lighter textbook (the Lippincott's book) and working up (Stryer).

EDIT -

And you might find that a lot of the time, you've done enough depth with the lighter textbook.

Lippincott's seems to be working out OK for now, it is the one the lectures are mainly based on. I may need to head off to the library and glance at a bigger one in a bit, because there is an equation and some other stuff in the lecture notes (I missed the last biochem lecture because I was ill) that just isn't in the book.

I guess that's how university works.
I've decided to invest in an anatomy textbook so just wanted some advice. I've used three books so far for anatomy: Snells, Moore and Dalley and grays for students.

Out of the three I really like Snells BUT I've been told that Moore and Dalley is really good especially for clinical years and that Snells is only good for gross anatomy. Do people think it is worth "biting the bullet" and getting Moore and Dalley now or should I just get Snells and then change to the Moore book if I need to later on.
Hydromancer
I've decided to invest in an anatomy textbook so just wanted some advice. I've used three books so far for anatomy: Snells, Moore and Dalley and grays for students.

Out of the three I really like Snells BUT I've been told that Moore and Dalley is really good especially for clinical years and that Snells is only good for gross anatomy. Do people think it is worth "biting the bullet" and getting Moore and Dalley now or should I just get Snells and then change to the Moore book if I need to later on.

until you find out, keep using the library dammit!
Reply 107
Hydromancer

I would suggest Last's Anatomy, Regional and Applied, I think its now in 11th Edn, edited by a bloke called Chummy Sinnatamby, not really used at preclins I don't think, so there should be copies in the library, great book. Talks you through the anatomy and is generally really quite good. Not as thick as M+D or some of the others either, but does go through all the relavent material.

Edit, Typo.

PS - Also consider the Grey's atlas of anatomy - the pictures are really good, downside is no descriptions though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Any book suggestions for Year 2 resp module? There are way too many graphs in this module and some of them are difficult to understand. :sad: I've just taken out 'resp at a glance' from Barts library - that seems to be simple enough, just hope it isn't too simple for exams.

Oh and any ideas on books with pretty decent resp related x ray explanations - I still don't know what I'm looking for when there's an x ray to interpret. :o:
Reply 109
Original post by Medicine Man
Any book suggestions for Year 2 resp module? There are way too many graphs in this module and some of them are difficult to understand. :sad: I've just taken out 'resp at a glance' from Barts library - that seems to be simple enough, just hope it isn't too simple for exams.

Oh and any ideas on books with pretty decent resp related x ray explanations - I still don't know what I'm looking for when there's an x ray to interpret. :o:

OHCM

There is a book called chest xrays made easy which is in the same family as ECGs made Easy which is ace.
Original post by digitalis
OHCM

There is a book called chest xrays made easy which is in the same family as ECGs made Easy which is ace.

Cheers.

I'll probably get that out of the library on Monday.
Reply 111
anyone know any good neurophys textbooks?
Reply 112
Original post by arabie
anyone know any good neurophys textbooks?

For the cellular/synaptic stuff, pharmacology books are usually quite good.
Reply 113
Original post by Kinkerz
For the cellular/synaptic stuff, pharmacology books are usually quite good.

cool, thanks
any chance you know if neuroscience by paradiso is any good? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neuroscience-Exploring-Mark-F-Bear/dp/0781760038/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288530440&sr=1-1
Original post by arabie

I find it very detailed yet very readable. Highly recommended.
Reply 116
thanks guys!
Reply 117
I feel like I'm invading by posting here, but I have a quick question.

How important is it getting the most up-to-date edition? Is getting an edition behind, if it's a lot cheaper, common? I understand it may be more important for clinical textbooks rather than science ones.

I like this book. Explains everything very well. :smile:
Reply 119
Original post by digitalis
x

Thanks for these reviews digitalis. How much detail do these anatomy colouring books go into? I was thinking of getting this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Coloring-Book-Wynn-Kapit/dp/0805350861

Latest

Trending

Trending