The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone please suggest a neuroscience text apart from Bear's neuroscience or Kandel's principles of neural science? These are the recommended texts but I found bear to be not very relevant at times and a bit incomplete though well written and Kandel is too big for me. A friend across the pond recommended Neuroanatomy through clinical cases...it's big but has anyone used it?
Reply 161
Original post by Hydromancer
Can anyone please suggest a neuroscience text apart from Bear's neuroscience or Kandel's principles of neural science? These are the recommended texts but I found bear to be not very relevant at times and a bit incomplete though well written and Kandel is too big for me. A friend across the pond recommended Neuroanatomy through clinical cases...it's big but has anyone used it?

This one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neurology-Geraint-Fuller-FRCP-Dr/dp/0702032247/ref=pd_sim_b_7

I havent tried this one but the neuroanatomy book is ACE!
Original post by malaz_197
This one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neurology-Geraint-Fuller-FRCP-Dr/dp/0702032247/ref=pd_sim_b_7

I havent tried this one but the neuroanatomy book is ACE!

Thanks will have a look
I used a myriad of books through pre-clin but found the following to be most useful:

Year 1:
This book pretty much got me through year one. It comes in two volumes, and is very well sectioned. It didn't fit in well with my course in that you saw yourself jumping from page to page to try and piece bits of information together but once you did find the relevant pages, it was literally a God send. Lovely illustrations. Concise wording. Nothing too convoluted - essentially what you need for your first year as a medical student.
I also used this book which was written by two people associated with my medical school. This book is very detailed and can be a little intimidating at first glance but it’s very very good at filling in the gaps you often have after a lecture or something.
These two books in addition to going over my lecture hand-outs and any other med school specific files were more than fine for me in year one.
Never really got into Grays or Clinically Orientated Anatomy though I did look at them a few times. These books were there as and when I needed them but weren't my primary revision books. Netters Flashcards was my anatomy revision sorted. That, the Atlas and my lectures were more than fine.

Year 2:
I decided to experiment a bit this year with text books. Tortora wasn't detailed enough for second year so I didn't use that anymore. Medical Sciences was now my main book I referred back to throughout the course of the year.
In addition to this book, I also used the At A Glance books for cardio and resp in addition to the crash course books.
For OSCEs I used Macleod's and a uni specific OSCE book written by my lecturers for my practice.
Other than that, for neuro I used this book which tbh wasn't really that helpful but again it was university specific. Each pbl during neuro was in essence a chapter from that book.
For Human Development (basically Paeds) and Childhood Infections, I referred to either this book or this book and they were both very very useful. They had classic presenting symptoms explained and most importantly pictures of what things would look like in reality.
The rest of my revision involved just doing what was given to me at university to revise - so lectures, booklets, CALs, histology sessions etc.

Of course the Cheese and Onion was very useful throughout both years but that goes without saying really.

Never used K&C much in both years though although most people in my year did - to each their own and all that.

But yeah, those are the books I would recommend as they were more than fine for me. Obviously everyone has preferences and stuff and that’s also fine. One thing though is that if you really want to do well on your course, learn the stuff they choose to teach you in lectures. Our exams tended to ask very lecture specific stuff all the time - there's a reason you have lectures and are not just given a heap of books to read over the two years. Books can be good to read to fill in the gaps but I always found the lectures to me a sort of checklist of what I needed to know for exams.
(edited 12 years ago)
These are the books I used for final year at UCL.

Textbooks

1) ECG at a glance

2) Surgical Talk

3) Chest X-ray made easy

4) Clinical Examination 5th addition (Tally, O'Connor)
OSCE
i would buy clinical textbook for clinics but any one should be fine.

OSCE revision guides

[These are the sort of books you need to buy to pass clinical exams. There are very concise books that concentrate on competencies and skills that you need to pass clinical examinations]

1) OSCE for medical and surgical finals, (Bora, Heah, Thakore)

- Useful for third year osce, short final year osce.

2) Final MB: A guide to success in clinical medicine (Dalton)

- Useful for finals. Examination of patients.

3) Final MB: Communication Skills (Dalton)

Written SBA

1) Oxford Assess and Progress Clinical Skill (Liakos, Hill)

2) Oxford Assesss and Progress Clinical Specialities (Etheridge)

These are the same sort of questions that come up in third year / final year papers.

3) Get Through Medical School; 1100 SBA/BOF and EMQ

Other

1) Online question banks

Do not buy the onexamination. The questions are not like our exams so waste of time.

2) Finals revision courses

If you are going to go make sure it is only one as it is expensive. Q course is what I went and it was alright. Dr clarke has a useful website.

Good luck.
Reply 165
Original post by Revenged

Written SBA

1) Oxford Assess and Progress Clinical Skill (Liakos, Hill)

2) Oxford Assesss and Progress Clinical Specialities (Etheridge)

I bought/used these.
I personally feel they were dissappointing.

1) Answers did not explain why the answer was right! Some of it was just re-stating the questions
2) Sometimes errors in transcription (i.e. saying B was right, but the written answers say A)
3) Some guidelines out of date
Original post by Medicine Man
I also used this book which was written by two people associated with my medical school.

If you look at the contributors, 11/15 are are associated with Barts and The London! E.g. Paola Domizio, Lesley Robson, Nigel Yeatman, David Kelsell LETALONE the main authors Naish and Revest!

It really is a Barts specific book haha
Original post by Dr. Hannibal Lecter
If you look at the contributors, 11/15 are are associated with Barts and The London! E.g. Paola Domizio, Lesley Robson, Nigel Yeatman, David Kelsell LETALONE the main authors Naish and Revest!

It really is a Barts specific book haha

:holmes:
Reply 168
what does everybody recommend for psych?
Reply 169
what does everybody recommend for psych?

A lot of people in my year liked this one most for psych: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychiatry-Neel-Burton/dp/1405190965/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313043034&sr=8-1

I used this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychiatry-Oxford-Core-Text-Texts/dp/0198528639/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313043137&sr=8-1
But didn't find it as useful tbh.
I don't know if this has been asked before, but how do people feel about buying past editions?

E.g, Grays Anatomy for Students is £40 for the new 2009 edition, but £10 used for the 2004 edition. Is it really worth the extra £30?

I only really ask because money is a bit tight at the moment, but I want to have a couple of books now so I can do some very light reading before the course starts. [Please don't tell me to just enjoy my summer].
Reply 171

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again. " :frown:

Thanks!
Original post by TwilightKnight
I don't know if this has been asked before, but how do people feel about buying past editions?

E.g, Grays Anatomy for Students is £40 for the new 2009 edition, but £10 used for the 2004 edition. Is it really worth the extra £30?

I only really ask because money is a bit tight at the moment, but I want to have a couple of books now so I can do some very light reading before the course starts. [Please don't tell me to just enjoy my summer].

For anatomy, you're probably fine, but I'm warning you; without any context from teaching the entirety of Gray's laying in front of you is just going to be terrifying.
Original post by TwilightKnight
only really ask because money is a bit tight at the moment, but I want to have a couple of books now so I can do some very light reading before the course starts.

If you want do do something useful before uni, learn the anatomical vocabulary and anatomical planes, attempting to learn any actual anatomy would be futile.
Reply 174
Hi, I was wondering where people think the best place to buy textbooks from is? (to be the cheapest) I found a website called medicprint which is the cheapest version of grey's for students that I could find but no idea how trustworthy it is... might just stick to amazon? What do people reckon? Any help appreciated! Thanks :smile:
Reply 175
Original post by emzaz
Hi, I was wondering where people think the best place to buy textbooks from is? (to be the cheapest) I found a website called medicprint which is the cheapest version of grey's for students that I could find but no idea how trustworthy it is... might just stick to amazon? What do people reckon? Any help appreciated! Thanks :smile:

amazon used like new :colone:
Reply 176
amazon used like new :colone:

Nice plan! I might copy that hahahee!
Reply 177
Which book would you recommend me for histology? physciology?

And are flash cards useful for physiology and neuroscience?

studying at birmingham medical school.
Data interpretation for medical students:

So easy to read, with ample whilst concise information on how to interpret all sorts of data from blood tests to ecgs and xrays. Helps make these things which are such a foreign language to a 3rd year so very manageable. Can't recommend enough 10/10
Reply 179
Pathology and Therapeutics for Pharmacists

I know the title says it's for pharmacists, but I'm suitably impressed with this book. If you've got it in your library, I encourage you to check it out and give it a go. Really good tables and diagrams and some excellent explanations, particularly for pathophysiology (a domain, strangely enough, lacking in many mainstream medicine textbooks).

Latest

Trending

Trending