The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Both of my parents have Facebook and both have added me, but my dad hardly uses it. My mum is addicted to Farmville so I get about a zillion posts a day in my news feed saying that my mum wants me to fertilise her crops... :s
The Onion has a hilarious video about this:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/facebook_twitter_revolutionizing

I have my dad as a friend on facebook, but reeeally limited (he can basically just see my name). Same with various family friends and relatives :smile:
AsTallAsLions
Why would your mum want to go on your Facebook? I don't really understand...

Because, as I said in a later post, I've got some relatives on there and she likes to see what they're up to without creating a profile herself. Which is fair enough, wanting to know what people living in the US are up to when you don't see each other often. I just find the principle of her doing it through me annoying, even though as I said, I tell her most things anyway.
Stressworthy
Because, as I said in a later post, I've got some relatives on there and she likes to see what they're up to without creating a profile herself. Which is fair enough, wanting to know what people living in the US are up to when you don't see each other often. I just find the principle of her doing it through me annoying, even though as I said, I tell her most things anyway.

Maybe she is checking up on you? There is no reason why she can't just have her own one, it takes like five minutes to set up...
AsTallAsLions
Maybe she is checking up on you? There is no reason why she can't just have her own one, it takes like five minutes to set up...

I know, it makes absolutely no sense to me. I guess she doesn't want these people knowing she has an account - she doesn't want to talk to them, just look at their profiles. And she finds it convenient doing it through me or something? She has no reason to check up on me either - I mean, I'd accept my parents as friends if they were to add me anyways, plus I'm quite honest and open with them sooo..

Who knows.
My mum has facebook :smile: I don't really mind, she hates me having pictures on there, but as I tell her, if I wanted to make a photo album of certain events (like printed pictures, not a fb album) I'd trawl through my friends pictures too, to find the best ones. I wouldn't put pictures up of her though, if she doesn't want them up then thats fine, it's her right to refuse :smile:

She basically only uses it to keep up with some of my family members who are abroad/at uni. It was hilarious when she set it up, I was on the phone to her for about an hour talking her through it :rofl:
Yes.. My mother has a Facebook and about sixty friends and talks to them regularly. She knows how to use it properly.
Reply 67
I made my mum an account, because i was fed up of her asking me if i could show her all of my photos. so she was my friend. then i had a house party, which she still doesnt know about, and got rid of her as soon as the pictures started going up.

However i have 5 of my 20 something cousins, because i trust them 5 not to show my parents.
I also until recently had my little brother and my big brother, but i deleted the little on, because he lives with me, and showed my mum my photos!
Reply 68
My Mum had facebook before me. As I'm sure anyone who has me on Facebook will know she knows how to use it very well and comments on almost everything I do.
My dad has it, so does an aunt, an uncle and a few cousins but only got my female cousins on my friend list. The male ones deleted me last year. Being gay, in the closet to family and having about 50 gay online acquaintances on my friend list I've got to be really careful about what I do. I've got two spare accounts just to test the ever changing privacy settings. Even with groups hidden I've got to be careful because the latest group you joined can never be private. I can't RSVP an event to a gay club or uni LGBT event as attending for the same reason. Got to constantly check I don't have guys posting gay comments on my wall and pics too. Reached the point where I've disabled wall comments completely after realising the only people who leave them are these same internet gays I've got to be careful around. I don't let family see any statuses just so I can be more open about things in them, but I'm not even going to post many of those this year. I've also had to recently untag quite a few videos because Facebook made me choose between showing all videos and tagged pics or none of both, rather than the old privacy that had them separate.

Can my dad use Facebook properly? I doubt it. He has no pics, never posts statuses or comments and only really uses it to look at profiles and play the game applications. My aunt and cousins know how to use it well however.
I'm friends with my mam, aunty, dad's gf, brother, + cousins on facebook. I refused to accept my dad :woo:

Btw, did someone say you can hide certain things from certain people?
How?? :eek3:

Latest

Trending

Trending