The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm good for AQA C3. I only have a problem with one thing which is Trig identities.

Things like Cot2x and Tan2x = 1 and those sorts of things. Does anyone know these or know a website with them on?
Reply 21
bluemoon05
I'm good for AQA C3. I only have a problem with one thing which is Trig identities.

Things like Cot2x and Tan2x = 1 and those sorts of things. Does anyone know these or know a website with them on?

easiest way to remember the trig identities is just look at sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 then divide by sin^2x to give 1 + cot^2x = cosec^2x or divide by cos^2x to give tan^2x + 1 = sec^2x

:smile:
Reply 22
I'm not a fan of posting on forums for help, but I have been defeated by integration by substitution :s-smilie:
Can anyone describe a plain and simple method?
(though my downfall is probably all the rearranging and spotting things)

I get as much that the general idea is making a more simple integration by getting rid of the x terms and you have to stick a dx/du on the end (assuming you're using u terms) but... why?! :confused:

In fact, scrap this, there's a whole thread for it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23009652&highlight=aqa+integration+by+substitution#post23009652
'Vikki
']easiest way to remember the trig identities is just look at sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 then divide by sin^2x to give 1 + cot^2x = cosec^2x or divide by cos^2x to give tan^2x + 1 = sec^2x

:smile:

dats a gd was of rememberin those identities... x
Reply 24
michelle_mishmash
dats a gd was of rememberin those identities... x

It's not really a way of remembering them, that's where they actually come from so you can just quickly work that out if you ever can't remember them or need to check if they're right.
yh i know.. i just never knew that was how you derive those identities..
are u guys ready for C3??
i am.. but when ever i do past papers i make silly mistakes....
Reply 27
Yeah I am, I've got fp1 too before then though... But I agree on the silly mistakes as I seem to be getting either 73 or 74 out of 75 on a lot of papers due to something really stupid.
'Vikki
']Yeah I am, I've got fp1 too before then though... But I agree on the silly mistakes as I seem to be getting either 73 or 74 out of 75 on a lot of papers due to something really stupid.

FP1's on Wednesday? I have to do FP1 on Wednesday as it clashses with Stats.
C3's going ok, but I keep forgetting little things when I'm doing past papers. =/
Reply 29
Wednesday Bass
FP1's on Wednesday? I have to do FP1 on Wednesday as it clashses with Stats.
C3's going ok, but I keep forgetting little things when I'm doing past papers. =/

Yeah FP1 is on Wednesday - PM. S1 is also on Wed, unless you mean S2 which is the week after.
Reply 30
Weeman5872
Same. Though, I have a clash witgh M1B. So I have to do M1B afterschool. mlia

Strange thing is, I'm finding C3 the easiest of the main modules so far o.O

Me too, for both parts of this lol. I'm the only person doing M1b and C3 as well so I'll be alone :erm:

Weeman5872
Yeah C1 C2 etc. Yeah they're not bad, the only one im putting off is Decision 1. I've been meaning to revise for it but its so boring! (D2 is surprisingly better than D1)

I think D2 is so much easier than D1 :/. D1 is the worst module everrrrrrr.
Reply 31
has anyone done the june 09 core 3 paper yet? .....if so is the mark scheme online ive looked everywhere and cant find.
y = 2/(1 + u)

whats dy/dx ????
Reply 33
umm i really dont havea clue have you tried quotient rule perhaps , is this of any of the past papers as i dont remember this question.
Reply 34
russell_chan
y = 2/(1 + u)

whats dy/dx ????

Use the quotient rule.

(vdu/dx - udv/dx)/v^2

u= 2
v= 1 + u

du/dx= 0
dv/dx= 1
vdu/dx= 0
udv/dx= -2(1+u)^-2
v^2= (1+u)^2

Then just piece it together.
Reply 35
russell_chan
y = 2/(1 + u)

whats dy/dx ????

You could make it 2(1+u)1{2(1 + u)}^{-1}

Then use the chain rule.
Reply 36
Where can you find the 2009 core 3 paper?
Reply 37
if the question comes up: integrate lnx

am i right in thinking you use integration by parts.
using u=lnx and dv/dx=1???
Reply 38
Anna2206
if the question comes up: integrate lnx

am i right in thinking you use integration by parts.
using u=lnx and dv/dx=1???

yeah
Reply 39
thankyou "vikki =]"

Latest

Trending

Trending