The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go for the one that interests you the most, definitely.
(Sorry for what seems to be a very useless post, but honestly, don't let people's opinions matter, you don't want your degree to be rubbish because it sounded cooler than another one)
Reply 2
Both would be pretty good, any language is to be honest.

Mandarin is a more widely-spoken language - but purely because there are more people in China than any other country in the world :lol:

Go with what you think you'd enjoy more :smile:
Reply 3
Anatheme
Go for the one that interests you the most, definitely.
(Sorry for what seems to be a very useless post, but honestly, don't let people's opinions matter, you don't want your degree to be rubbish because it sounded cooler than another one)

I know, I have always gone more towards Japanese mainly due to anime :biggrin: But thinking of the future as I will possibly be doing economics I thought Chinese would be more useful..
Reply 4
bethie_boxers
I was thinking of doing Japanese or Mandarin Chinese with economics. I was wondering which do you think would be better? Also are they both reeeeally hard or is one slightly easier? I assume you have to learn the simplified characters?
-B

Try and learn a little bit yourself and see which one you find easier/more interesting.

Neither one is better than the other.

So up to you.
Reply 5
Mandarin.

It will be more useful in the future...

Don't just learn a language for the anime lol.

I tried learning Japanese when I was like 11. Must say it was quite hard and most Japanese people would say that you sounds like a 5 year old when you think you are quite good. (I've been told this by one of my japanese friend).

I find Mandarin a bit easier personally because I'm quite used to hearing it.
Reply 6
Zottula
Try and learn a little bit yourself and see which one you find easier/more interesting.

Neither one is better than the other.

So up to you.

Okay thanks :biggrin: I got a Japanese learning book/CD so I'll try it out :P
Reply 7
bethie_boxers
I know, I have always gone more towards Japanese mainly due to anime :biggrin: But thinking of the future as I will possibly be doing economics I thought Chinese would be more useful..

I'd say Japanese because:
1. You seem enjoy it more.
2. I learned both (about 3 months for each) and found Japanese much easier (pronunciation and writing). Chinese, on the other hand, was nearly impossible for me :s-smilie:

And don't worry much about the 'future Chinese economy', because I'm quite sure that Chinese speaks English much better than English people speak their language :biggrin:
Reply 8
Wanischa
Mandarin.

It will be more useful in the future...

Don't just learn a language for the anime lol.

I tried learning Japanese when I was like 11. Must say it was quite hard and most Japanese people would say that you sounds like a 5 year old when you think you are quite good. (I've been told this by one of my japanese friend).

I find Mandarin a bit easier personally because I'm quite used to hearing it.

Thats what I was thinking..
Hahahaa but the anime is so good! :P
Thanks I'll do some research :smile:
Reply 9
andy12691
I'd say Japanese because:
1. You seem enjoy it more.
2. I learned both (about 3 months for each) and found Japanese much easier (pronunciation and writing). Chinese, on the other hand, was nearly impossible for me :s-smilie:

And don't worry much about the 'future Chinese economy', because I'm quite sure that Chinese speaks English much better than English people speak their language :biggrin:

Okay, thanks :smile:
Hahaha yeahh my Dad was saying when he went to Hong Kong that all the business people he met spoke English :P
Mandarin because way more people speak it! and recently China overtook the Japanese economy!!! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Louise_x
Both would be pretty good, any language is to be honest.

Mandarin is a more widely-spoken language - but purely because there are more people in China than any other country in the world :lol:

Go with what you think you'd enjoy more :smile:

(Sorry, I'm not picking on you, promise! :colondollar:)

That's the most rubbish argument you will hear about Mandarin. Take French and Spanish, for example. Because Spanish is more widely spoken than French doesn't mean it's more important. If you take a closer look, you'll see that French is more widely use than Spanish to communicate in a language that isn't English. It's the official language of the UN and tons of NGOs that sometimes have nothing related to France or French. You will find a lot more resources in French than in Spanish for research, because French has been a cultural and political language for a lot longer than Spanish. People don't publish in Spanish, unless they want to restrict themselves to Spanish-speaking countries, and before Americans decided they were too lazy to speak French, it used to be the number one diplomatic language (it's only the 2nd, now).

So yeah, Madarin may be the most-widely spoken language in the world, but currently, it has very little impact on anything. You will rarely find research published only in Mandarin, in terms of business, it may be very useful to learn it, but if you get a job in the UK, chances are the employers will only look at the skills you will have gained from learning a language rather than your linguist abilities, because - let's be honest - Chinese people learn English a lot quicker than we learn Mandarin, and even if you have basics in this language, that will probably be the only thing you need for they will certainly hire natives to do any jobs that require you to be fluent in Mandarin (that's how they work with Arabic at the UN).

Now I've been dissing Mandarin and I apologise, I believe Russian would be more useful with Economics but let's forget about it :colondollar:. If you think you would enjoy it, don't forget to bear in mind how different a language it is, I recommend following lessons in both languages to see which one you prefer, and if you actually would enjoy studying them for 4 years. Also, OP, what previous experience do you have in terms of language learning? Not that it will really matter if you have the motivation, just pure curiosity :P
Reply 12
bethie_boxers
Thats what I was thinking..
Hahahaa but the anime is so good! :P
Thanks I'll do some research :smile:

If you like the anime, you should try watching the japanese drama as you would normally get to learn about their culture and stuff as well.
And you could also watch Taiwanese drama for the mandarin (I say Taiwanese because they are actually my favourite), then you can try to repeat what they say.

...That's how I learnt it XD
From my experience talking to people, Mandarin seems to be harder to learn ie pronouncing the certain characters and such if you are used to speaking only english etc. Japanese would be alot easier.
I've learnt Japanese and find it quite easy, Hirigana is fairly simple, Kanji is more difficult but i found it easy as I know Cantonese. But there is always romaji too :smile:
However for something like economics, Mandarin will probably be alot more useful, as more and more of the business world seems to be adapting to communicate in Mandarin...
From a Chinese persons view, Mandarin is easy to pick up if you are fluent in cantonese, even better if you know hak-ka too :biggrin:. But I would think Japanese is easier to pick up for Westerners.
And yeah most business men in Hong Kong seem to know English and communicate in english more, due to the whole British colony thing. But Hong Kong is tinyyyyyyyyyyyy.
Reply 14
Anatheme

That's the most rubbish argument you will hear about Mandarin. Take French and Spanish, for example. Because Spanish is more widely spoken than French doesn't mean it's more important. If you take a closer look, you'll see that French is more widely use than Spanish to communicate in a language that isn't English. It's the official language of the UN and tons of NGOs that sometimes have nothing related to France or French. You will find a lot more resources in French than in Spanish for research, because French has been a cultural and political language for a lot longer than Spanish. People don't publish in Spanish, unless they want to restrict themselves to Spanish-speaking countries, and before Americans decided they were too lazy to speak French, it used to be the number one diplomatic language (it's only the 2nd, now).

So yeah, Madarin may be the most-widely spoken language in the world, but currently, it has very little impact on anything. You will rarely find research published only in Mandarin, in terms of business, it may be very useful to learn it, but if you get a job in the UK, chances are the employers will only look at the skills you will have gained from learning a language rather than your linguist abilities, because - let's be honest - Chinese people learn English a lot quicker than we learn Mandarin, and even if you have basics in this language, that will probably be the only thing you need for they will certainly hire natives to do any jobs that require you to be fluent in Mandarin (that's how they work with Arabic at the UN).

Now I've been dissing Mandarin and I apologise, I believe Russian would be more useful with Economics but let's forget about it :colondollar:. If you think you would enjoy it, don't forget to bear in mind how different a language it is, I recommend following lessons in both languages to see which one you prefer, and if you actually would enjoy studying them for 4 years. Also, OP, what previous experience do you have in terms of language learning? Not that it will really matter if you have the motivation, just pure curiosity :P

Lol, you just diss both of the languages that I'm going to take :eek3:
Reply 15
Wanischa
Lol, you just diss both of the languages that I'm going to take :eek3:

Sorry sorry sorry!!! :colondollar:
My point is just pick a language because you will enjoy it, not because it'll be useful, 'cause really, it won't matter much, if you're really passionate about it, you will always find something to do with it :yep:
Reply 16
Oh yeah, I was gonna say thanks to the anon repper, much appreciated :top2:
Reply 17
Anatheme
Sorry sorry sorry sorry!!!
My point is just pick a language because you will enjoy it, not because it'll be useful, 'cause really, it won't matter much, if you're really passionate about it, you will always find something to do with it :yep:

Na, it's ok ^^
All languages are useful really :yep:
Anatheme

This is true; I'm learning Mandarin right now but not because I am interested in talking business with the Chinese. I am interested in how it works, I find the written form exciting and I want to be able to speak it when I visit China.
However, the vast majority of important scientists and businessmen from China will have mastered English to a better degree than I ever will Mandarin. So not an essential skill. Although I guess it could give you something of a tactical edge if you can speak their language.
Reply 19
Anatheme

That was actually very helpful, thanks :smile:
Hahaa maybe i'll see what russian is like :P
Weeeell I'm fluent in english hahaha :P I did German for a year but had to give it up [Moved schools and they would only allow 1 language] I have done french since yr 7, doing SL french atm. Yeah the thing is that I'm not sure if I have the motivation :s-smilie: That is why Im trying out this Japanese learning thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending