The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It all depends what modules you will be taking.

In my 1st year I took Contract, Criminal, Public and European and I got away with only spending £80 on books...BUT...I was very lucky to get hold of all the right editions second hand.

For some subjects you may only have to buy a text book where as in others you may be advised to buy a text book, statute book and a case book! Alot of law schools do have book sales and second and third years will almost certainly try and sell on their books so without too much effort. If your not too fussy about a bit of highlighting in a book you should be able to pick up some bargains.

You may be advised, due to new legislation in a particular area, that you should buy a bang up to date text book etc but my advise would be don't rush out and spend a fortune on books when you can save alot by making use of the library or photocopying select chapters from friends books.

Some people spend a ridiculous amount on books at the very beginning of the course...buying 1/2 alternative text books for a particular subject as well as the one recommended just because they have heard good or bad things about one book or another. I know several people that spent £250+ on books they hardly looked at after the 1st few weeks!

Latest

Trending

Trending