The Student Room Group

Guy on Fox News was calling for racial profiling in airports..... wow

I just sat there with my mouth practically open like .....
:eek: this can't be for real?! then i thought to myself... wait this is America, the country that takes everything to extremes' and will do whatever it takes to protect the american people and their homeland, even racial profiling

It was some politician (didn't catch his name) talking to Julie Banderas on Fox news (an anchor for fox) about the recent attempt to blow up the airliner in America, basically he was going on about how sooner or later a plane will be brought down and that people will complain about why nothing was done to prevent it etc etc

and he also said that racial profiling was needed, he said that if you're a muslim man between 18 - 20 you will HAVE to be strip searched.... yeah, sounds ridiculous doesn't it, he said that he didn't want it to be done but it's a necessity for the safety of the american people :facepalm:

Scroll to see replies

This is why we don't care about Fox News.
Reply 2
A Muslim UK MP suggested that all Muslims flying through the uk have higher security checks too, it's not just in America. Don't know if he meant strip searching or anything though.

They talked about it on the wright stuff...was quite a good debate, since you can't tell by looking at somebody which religion they are.
You can't deny the fact that a Muslim man between the age of 18 and 20 is much more likely to have a bomb on him than a white Christian, or anyone else for that matter.
This a well respected idea in the security industry. We need to target our resources at those who are most likely to commit terrorist attacks. Stop worrying about political correctness, this is terrorism we are talking about.
They pretty much do that already anyway....well to some extent, if they think you look muslim at an American airport they'll search you/ask you questions (like they did in our america school trip) about why you're here, while they let off the non-muslim looking people.
Reply 6
the simpsons didn't like FOX for a reason ...hmmm
......it doesn't stop a 21-?? year old man or woman taking a bomb on to a plane though
Reply 7
dancingshoes10
You can't deny the fact that a Muslim man between the age of 18 and 20 is much more likely to have a bomb on him than a white Christian.

I can actually, and most rational people would too. The difference is very, very small.

Link if anyone want it
Reply 8
If people of a certain race are more likely to be terrorists, check them more often. Makes sense to me. And before you call me racist, It is a fact that people of middle-eastern origin are more likely to be terrorists. Just like its a fact black people run 100m faster than everyone else and white people are good at swimming. Its not racist to suggest the last two things, so why is it racist to suggest the first? I'm happy to be searched more often if It were white people that were being terrorists.
Reply 9
Tbh more thorough security checks should be imposed on all. It's the only way of making sure there is a minimal chance of a terrorist attack.
cousto
the simpsons didn't like FOX for a reason ...hmmm
......it doesn't stop a 21-?? year old man or woman taking a bomb on to a plane though

lol exactly, but he was just suggesting the idea anyway, they'll probably revise it if they actually put it into practice

i think the point is that it's obviously too controversial too ever go ahead, but then again this is in america.... so i could actually see it happening :indiff: that is going way too far though, too strip search literally every muslim man in that age range
am i correct to think that all of the islamic fundamentalist terrorists thus far have been young middle eastern islamic males...?

I agree that the Fox man sounds absurd, and like an american hick, but maybe he has a point...

extra vigilance might help? we shouldn't assume its bad because it sounds unPC....
Kreuzuerk
I can actually, and most rational people would too. The difference is roughly around 0.000001.

Yeah yeah, ignorance is bliss in your case.
Reply 13
And? Look at all the recent terrorist attacks. Analyse some statistics you fool. Young Muslim men are more likely to commit terrorist attacks. Just like young black men are more likely to commit knife/gun offences. Racial profiling is common sense. Some of you are insane. You'd honestly risk lifes for the sake of liberalism? Astonishing.
I think people are being hideously short sighted. Muslims already feel persecuted for the actions of a small few. And now you want to directly target them? Make the dissatisfaction with the West even greater? The problem is going to get so much worse.

The things people will do to feel a teensy bit safer baffles me.
Reply 15
dancingshoes10
Yeah yeah, ignorance is bliss in your case.

No, it's in yours I'm afraid.

There's roughly around 500,000,000 white Christian men and around 700,000,000 Muslim men, so quite clearly there is not a much higher likelihood. The actions of a very, very small minority are tainting, well at least in your opinion, huge numbers of others who just happen to share a religious faith.
Reply 16
Never ever underestimate Fox News......ever.
Nick_000
And? Look at all the recent terrorist attacks. Analyse some statistics you fool. Young Muslim men are more likely to commit terrorist attacks. Just like young black men are more likely to commit knife/gun offences. Racial profiling is common sense. Some of you are insane. You'd honestly risk lifes for the sake of liberalism? Astonishing.

but it's obviously discrimination and morally wrong when it's clearly the huge minority of young muslim men that are trying to blow up planes and buildings, i'm sure the majority wouldn't ever actually try to even if they wanted to

it's just wrong to stop every single muslim man don't you think?
Reply 18
lukejoshjedi
but it's obviously discrimination and morally wrong when it's clearly the huge minority of young muslim men that are trying to blow up planes and buildings, i'm sure the majority wouldn't ever actually try to even if they wanted to

it's just wrong to stop every single muslim man don't you think?

No, not really. As a matter of fact, if this policy makes its way in and it foils even 1 terrorist attack then it will have been a great success.
Reply 19
What do you expect it is Fox News - owned by Rupert Murdoch who is a ultra conservative and says barack obama is a racist...

I really think Fox news has too much power in america, and the news corp in the UK

Watch 'OutFoxed' for other incidents of Fox news being out of order

Latest

Trending

Trending