The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
pothguru
hey i've decided to take chem physics, maths and further maths for my A levels.

Is this a strong combo for law or engineering?

And will fm take away my time for other activites? Im just an above average student in maths.

If you're just above average in maths, why are you doing fm? I'm not trying to sound rude, in my year at GCSE there were around 30 people who got A*s in it, but out of those only 3 could hack the fm course. I'd definately consider an ordinary maths A2, but fm is seriously hard.
Reply 21
lauram992
If you're just above average in maths, why are you doing fm? I'm not trying to sound rude, in my year at GCSE there were around 30 people who got A*s in it, but out of those only 3 could hack the fm course. I'd definitely consider an ordinary maths A2, but fm is seriously hard.

well i want to challenge myself. even if i totally fail the subject in the end at least i know i tried.:smile:

What's life without challenges,no?
Reply 22
Jakko247
I know maths and a science are popular with law admissions tutors when combined with atleast one essay based subject.
Engineering and law are pretty divided disciplines wouldn't you agree lol :rolleyes:
For a healthy chance at a law degree I would reccommend atleast one essay based subject (History or English). You don't want the admissions tutor to think you're only good with numbers. I know people who consistantly get A's in maths but E's in history and with your proposed selection, it could indicate just this.

I would reccommend for law:
Maths
Physics, Chem or Bio
History
English Language.

But for engineering your current choices are perfect :smile:

It's best to decide which direction you want to go in which can take a long time I am aware :wink:

yea its so hard to decide what to do. i mean it will determine whether i will have a happy life or not. man.. such pressures for a young mind :smile:
Reply 23
pothguru
well i want to challenge myself. even if i totally fail the subject in the end at least i know i tried.:smile:

What's life without challenges,no?

Hmm fair do's. Good luck with it :smile:
Put equal effort into the others though incase you find that fm is taking up alot of your time for revision etc.
I would say, if you want to keep both routes open:

Math
F-Math
Physics
History
English Literature.
Reply 25
paddy__power
I would say, if you want to keep both routes open:

Math
F-Math
Physics
History
English Literature.

unforunately my place doesnt offer history or eng.lit together with those. :smile: sadly
pothguru
unforunately my place doesnt offer history or eng.lit together with those. :smile: sadly

You could self teach, but that is up to you.

Good luck anyway mate.
Reply 27
too lazy to self teach i'm afraid =( i need to have a social life haha
Reply 28
pothguru
hey i've decided to take chem physics, maths and further maths for my A levels.

Is this a strong combo for law or engineering?

And will fm take away my time for other activites? Im just an above average student in maths.

yes for engineering, but for law uni's usually want english lit., history, or a foreign language
if you want to keep your options open then 2 sciences 2 arts might be a good choice.. physics maths english history maybe? it'll be a lot of work though.

Latest