The Student Room Group

What do you use for self-defense?

I know this may seem a bit silly, but I am planning to move to London and was researching some of the possible areas to move to, and I'm thinking of moving to to East London, which has quite a dodgy reputation. It got me thinking: since it's not legal here to carry knives or any sort of self-protection sprays, how are petite females like me supposed to feel safe at night when I'm alone? I don't have a car and will be walking on my own a lot.

It strikes me as a bit ridiculous that I'm not even allowed to carry pepper spray in my purse...:mad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lunchbox
I know this may seem a bit silly, but I am planning to move to London and was researching some of the possible areas to move to, and I'm thinking of moving to to East London, which has quite a dodgy reputation. It got me thinking: since it's not legal here to carry knives or any sort of self-protection sprays, how are petite females like me supposed to feel safe at night when I'm alone? I don't have a car and will be walking on my own a lot.

It strikes me as a bit ridiculous that I'm not even allowed to carry pepper spray in my purse...:mad:

Anything you have on you will do in a fight. Keys,phone etc. You name it and you can probrably use it to hurt someone. Only if they attack you first that is aha.
Reply 2
lunchbox

It strikes me as a bit ridiculous that I'm not even allowed to carry pepper spray in my purse...

Are you for real?

East London is fine, stop being such a wuss. Be sensible and the likelihood of anything happening is quite low, well as low as it is elsewhere in London :wink:
Petite females, I'm not sure. Though if you get your knee in their privates quick and hard enough, I'm sure your size won't matter :biggrin: Also, how about carrying a rape alarm?
I choke them to death with my massive penis. The petite females I mean.

Wait, what...
lunchbox

It strikes me as a bit ridiculous that I'm not even allowed to carry pepper spray in my purse...

Yeah, it's a warzone. Ten times worse than Croxteth like.

Seriously, you do realise that, statistically speaking, you're less likely to be a victim of crime than young males?
Reply 6
lunchbox

I think you have spent to much time on the computer.
Yeah there are some rough areas and shady characters,but thats the case with every city or town.
Don't let fear rule you...
My wit.
Reply 8
lunchbox

East London is fine, and my post code is in the top 2% for highest crime rate in the UK...

Just don't dress like you're trying to sell some and you'll be fine.
Reply 9
Sharp tongue, and then if all else fails i spray them with my strongly smelling urine before running away.
Reply 10
Lol, you'll be fine, honest.
Reply 11
AK.

Serious answer: I'm sure you'll be fine. As Demo. said, the chances of anything happening are low.
I carry a penknife, have done for about five years. The police are never going to stop and search petite little middle-class white girls tbf.
Reply 13
My sharp tongue.

EDIT: Too late; how embarrassing. :facepalm2:
Knee in the groin, rape alarm and nice long fingernails so you can gouge the bastard's eyes out :smile:

Seriously, I once met my friend from the bus stop when she was scared she was being followed and I took an umbrella with me. It wasn't raining :wink:. Well, I couldn't take a heavy duty lamp without raising eyebrows. First thing that came to hand.
Reply 15
Don't walk down dark alleys, don't take your phone out in public, and chances are you should be fine.
I don't use anything. If it came to it you could stab an attacker with a high heel?
Reply 16
lunchbox

East London is pretty safe. The gangs tend to squabble amongst themselves. My female friends who live around the area have never had a problem in all the years they have lived there. Just be sensible and you'll be fine. :smile:
If you are this stressed and nervous about it already I doubt you would have the nerve to use pepper spray/knife etc if it came to it.
caroline147
I carry a penknife, have done for about five years. The police are never going to stop and search petite little middle-class white girls tbf.

Even if they did, it's not like anything would happen (provided that the blade is under 3 inches). I have been carrying one for years, too. Swiss Army :coma:
caroline147

Doubt it would do much good in the kind of attack a 'petite female' is likely to experience - I have enough trouble fiddling with the bloody blades when I'm perfectly calm lol.

Seriously though, you are very unlikely to have any trouble; pepper spray would be pretty good though I guess?

Latest

Trending

Trending