The Student Room Group

Training Contract Thread 2010

Thought I might like to create a new training contract thread for those people who are applying for TCs for March 2012/Sept 2012 intake.

Just list the firms that you're applying to, whether you've received any interviews, any offers etc.

:yes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm really surprised that nobody has posted anything! This thread was brimming same time last year. I'll start first then..

Applied to Links and A&O so far. Got rejected by Links, but still waiting for A&O (been more than a week now). Apparently they usually get back to you within a week?
I was going to wait until much closer to the deadlines before applying for TC's - is my approach wrong?

I've only just finished VS applications... :-( No more applications please...
Reply 3
Hey, I'm a non-law and I've applied to 3 firms so far. No news from any of them but I applied within the last week for them all.
Reply 4
Only took Links 4 days to reject me. They obviously didn't like what they were seeing lol.
I think most firms will reject on the spot if they think you aren't up to scratch. Anything longer than a week is probably an indication that they are still considering in light of everyone else.
Reply 5
Thanks for the info.

There aren't that many of us but good luck everyone :smile:.

I'm going to do more applications but as my dissertation is due in in 6 weeks, I'm also trying to get a lot of that done. The other firms I'm interested in have later deadlines, so waiting a few weeks to apply should be ok.
Reply 6
I've applied to Freshfields and Norton Rose. Has anyone heard from them? I did the test for Freshfields before Christmas and they still haven't got back to me. :frown:
Reply 7
Do Freshfields give you the verbal reasoning straight after you've sent off the app? Or do they read the app first, then give you the test?
Reply 8
Rofl
Do Freshfields give you the verbal reasoning straight after you've sent off the app? Or do they read the app first, then give you the test?

You do the test first and then they consider your app.
Reply 9
I'm applying to London firms though I did apply to DLA Piper for the summer vac, but that was for their London office.

Were in the waiting game now as most deadlines for summer schemes ends and people wait to hear back. Firms tend to deal with vacation interviews first before TC interviews. Some North-West firms have reduced their intake by quite a bit, so i thinks its probably the competition.
Reply 10
if i'm a second year law student doing the whole vac scheme onslaught at the moment, when should i apply for TCs? i thought i was meant to wait until i have my second year marks? i.e july?
Reply 11
...GDL student here...will get back in this thread once I've started applications...determined to get at least one sent by the end of this week xxx
Reply 12
How is everybody getting on? Last year's thread was a lot more popular, iirc. I'm still waiting on the first 3 applications I sent in - one about 2 weeks ago, one 10 days ago, and the 3rd a week ago. I'm choosing to believe in 'no news is good news'! I'll do another application next week and then maybe another 4 over the next fortnight. I'm going to tackle a few CV & covering letter applications, which is going to make a refreshing change from the question-based forms.
Reply 13
Still no news from A&O, been two weeks now. My friend got rejected over Christmas though, so they're definitely checking the applications as they receive them.
Reply 14
I've got an A&O interview - the case study will be challenging but perhaps strangely enjoyable?
Reply 15
OK still to send applications off haha. I've started on one for Irwin Mitchell and one for a vacation placement at Harrowells in York. Just get so stuck when it gets to competency questions...:frown:
Reply 16
Has anyone actually had any TC interviews so far? I'm curious as to when they actually start the interviews for the majority of non-law candidates.
Reply 17
Links has already started according to ROF. At least people were asking about & had received offers for TC interviews at Links.

I've got one next week. But I think the majority take place a bit later. CC is the end of February.
Reply 18
I have just applied to 20 firms to undertake a vacation scheme! ahh it was such a tedious process, still got a few left to do which have Feb and March deadlines!

I have attached my covering letter and cv, which is very detailed as this is what i cut/copy/adapt and paste to online applications.

Please let me know what you think and any criticisms etc!

Thank you
I like it but it's too long. Can cut it down a lot, especially the start.

Then space it out a bit more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending