The Student Room Group

Training Contract Thread 2010

Scroll to see replies

Surely for the people who want a TC and are only just starting to apply now, its nowhere near too late...? I mean, its only early February...Surely once we get to late April/May, that's the time to worry re the time factor?

Depends on law/non-law. Depends what kind of firm you are applying to (regional firms seem to make decisions later than big City). And, of course it does vary from firm to firm.

But if keep meaning to apply and don't quite get round to it this weekend (we've all been there), then I think you will do yourself a favour by applying asap. It can take firms at least a couple of weeks to respond to your application, so if you sent it off today that's end of Feb. Then couple of weeks to arrange an interview/assessment centre. Meanwhile others are being interviewed and getting offers.

Carpe diem
Reply 81
I have just sent my Weil and Dechert TC 2012 application today! :smile:

Anyone know how long it takes for these firms to get back to applicants?
Reply 82
Today I got a TC offer from a MC firm that I will probably be accepting, for 2012 start (non-law). I'm glad that all the hard work has finally been recognised. Good luck to everyone with their applications and interviews - just remember to be yourself and don't let rejections get to you too much!
Reply 83
*lulu7*
Assessment day with OLSWANG!!!!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOM.. those who think that you cannot get a foot in the door with a 2:2 are wrong. I am doing a masters, have all the right work experience for my area of law, media law and I am a frequent volunteer for CAB..it is not impossible, just put your all into it!!

xxx

How did you get on at your Olswang assessment day?
Well done on getting the interview with a 2:2. If you wouldn't mind I'd love to hear how you get on with securing a tc/vac scheme places as my friend is still undecided about whether to bother doing LPC with her 2:2 degree in current climate.
I see her point though, as my friend from conversion course with all A's and 2:1 from Redbrick Uni and distinction in conversion course (highest in country) has had about 10 interviews for tc's over 2yrs and has got nowhere. So it would be very encouraging if you managed to get one and may help with her decision about whether to do the LPC.
I'm worried I may have discouraged her from doing the LPC as I had good academics, extra curriculars, commercial experience and still had many rejections (but you only need 1 non rejection!) as did my friend mentioned above and I had heard it makes things so much harder with a 2:2 (many firms filter out automatically) so would be good if I could tell her I was wrong!
Thanks a lot and best of luck
Reply 84
Anyone applied to freshfields? What's your experience of the firm?
Reply 85
This thread is making me panic. I'm second year law, so I don't apply till after I receive my summer exam results, right?
Reply 86
Correct.
Reply 87
__
tony_ron
Think I've already had 11 TC rejections without even getting interviews for them. Fingers crossed for the rest. 5 TC interviews this week though :smile:

:eek: how on earth have you had time to apply for that many?
Reply 89
tony_ron
Think I've already had 11 TC rejections without even getting interviews for them. Fingers crossed for the rest. 5 TC interviews this week though :smile:

You were very successful with vac scheme applications last year, though :confused: - did they not turn in to offers?

Best of luck with the interviews anyway, hope you get something soon :smile: -- though 5 interviews in one week?! You'll be exhausted....
Reply 90
punkrockisfreedom
:eek: how on earth have you had time to apply for that many?

I've been quite organised with my time since the Christmas holidays. Hope to have struck the right balance between quality and quantity. Hoping so though.
Reply 91
jcb914
You were very successful with vac scheme applications last year, though :confused: - did they not turn in to offers?

Best of luck with the interviews anyway, hope you get something soon :smile: -- though 5 interviews in one week?! You'll be exhausted....

I didn't get one at the one firm that permitted me to apply for a TC unfortunately. The others said I had to apply this year as I was only a second-year non-law student when I did my vac schemes last year. Was good in a sense though, because it means I can just apply for TCs this year, and (hopefully!) nab a TC before the majority of vac schemes have taken place whose attendees often get TCs.
Reply 92
lawlawlaw2010
HI,
I recently attended a Lovells assessment day and sat the Watson Glaser test. I have a GMAT preparation book, which is helpful for the WG test. If anyone wants to buy it at a discount, email me at [email protected]

Cheers,
C

When did you do this? I did it too recently.
Reply 93
I graduated last year from a russell group university and scraped a 2:1 (think I got 61). I have good A-Levels (AAB) but atrocious first year grades (I got in the 40s for all four modules) so I've put off applying because I was under the impression that once a firm saw my break down of module grades I'd have no chance. I generally got high 2:2s/low 2:1s in 2nd and 3rd year.

I'm working full time at the moment but have planned to fill in some training contract applications to mid-sized firms in April when I get time off. Is this too late? And does anyone have any ideas of how much the module break down really matters?
Reply 94
Grifter, aren't you the Oxbridge grad who got a handful of interviews last year? I think I'm in a similar position to you to be honest - don't know where it's going wrong and think there's nothing substantially bad about my application technique, but still not getting those elusive interviews!
Is everyone finding it harder than last year?

I ask as last year was supposedly 'unique'. Yet I, as Mr Average, managed a decent success rate for VS/TC apps. Is the consensus that it's worse this year?

I may well be making some TC apps as a covering strategy and I feel I should start soon.
Reply 96
That is really depressing but I'd rather know the truth about what I'm up against than go in blindly so thanks for the feedback.

What is everyone doing to make their applications stronger? It's seems even with decent grades and work experience a lot of people still have no luck. I really don't want to give up on the training contract dream so any suggestions are welcome.
Reply 97
to the person who asked above, I think it is supposedly harder this cycle because to my knowledge last year was the year when recruitment numbers really fell. Therefore this year you have no only the usual large number of applicants but also all those who were unsuccessful last year. Another issue is that firms this year may fill some of their spaces with future trainees who they had to defer from last year. So if they had 40 places but 20 were filled with their already-accepted applicants from last year, the chances for getting a place this year are all the more slim.
Reply 98
i was in the same position last month..i decided against applying last year because i thought it would be more difficult to secure a training contract...i gained work experience elsewhere over last summer...and i sent off a few applications a couple of months ago and now have a training contract with a very respected firm..

with all the deferrals, it is still quite difficult to secure a contract..but to be honest, most of the deferrals appears to have affected the 2011 intake...with considerably less impact on the 2012 intake. so id suggest be confident in yourself! don't be too desperate for the training contract...i was..and it didnt do me any good. that's not to say that you should give up hope...but dont go after it with desperation...go with the attitude that the firm should be lucky to have you on board...rather than you being desperate for them..that's the best advice i can give from my experience...
Reply 99
Sorry if this seems a bit off putting, but there was some statistic last year that showed application figures dropping due to the recession, and as such, firms are now expecting a huge backlog of students who were unsuccessful/deferred for a year to concentrate on work experience etc. applying this year round.

It's a lot more competitive this year without a doubt - fewer training contracts available + more applicants. This explains why even the highest calibre students are struggling to even get an interview, even though they managed to achieve at least a few last year.

Edit: Sorry, kinda re-iterated the same point as tony was saying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending